Banished Empires

A house is a good one to start with. <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6338-discrepancy/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6338" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6338-discrepancy/">@Discrepancy</a>'s tutorial at world of banished is really easy to follow and covers everything you need to do. 

Or if you wanted to avoid the smoke and use points etc. and just see what it looks like then the well.rsc in the mod kit is probably the simplest one, you would only need to change the toolbar UI and model section as it is already a 3x3 square, which is what your towers look like in the pics above.

I thought I'd better plan out the modularity before I get any further, so I broke down the buildings into their component pieces, and did a very basic 3d mockup:

[Image: O5Kh2vE.jpg]

[Image: ZIstqV7.jpg]

It's like Lego!!!

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9053-mackgideon/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9053" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9053-mackgideon/">@MackGideon</a> That is looking quite awesome [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" /> The only questions I have are 1. - what civilization are you basing the designs off (I have a particular liking for the Portuguese from AoE III but they might not be medieval or colonial enough for Banished), and 2. - what Age will the building designs be from?

With the modularity you're planning, this looks as though it's going to be a very flexible & useful set... it also makes me want to fire up AoE III again [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

All civs (at least the old ones). All ages. Also Greek, Egyptian, Persian, and eventually Asian.

Pretty much all the civs from AoE2 follow the same template, if you look at the wiki. I've expanded the buildings a bit for a little added realism, could be much more spaced out though.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Wow! <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9053-mackgideon/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9053" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9053-mackgideon/">@MackGideon</a> that's a hell of a lot of buildings but damn it'll be fun to play around with [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" /> I always liked the look of the Town Centre and house buildings from the Dark Age phase of AoE II

Are you thinking at all about modelling any of the Wonders? Not that I'm trying to add more to your workload or anything [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/tongue.png[/img]/emoticons/tongue@2x.png 2x" title=":P" width="20" />

All this talk of AoE makes me want to play AoE II as well as III particularly as I never got around to checking out any of the official expansion released after 2013. I got the HD version of II on Steam mostly for nostalgia reasons and was amazed to see people still developing civs for the game (the Forgotten Empires group) and now I see they've released a third expansion!

For anyone else who's interested in expansions for the HD version of AoE II, http://www.forgottenempires.net/

Quote:
33 minutes ago, KevinTheCynic said:

that's a hell of a lot of buildings

Yeah, probably bit off more than I can chew [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/blink.png[/img]/emoticons/blink@2x.png 2x" title="O.o" width="20" />. But the modelling is SO MUCH FUN!!

Quote:
33 minutes ago, KevinTheCynic said:

I always liked the look of the Town Centre and house buildings from the Dark Age phase

Me too. I plan on having the base model be the earliest variant, then with a building upgrade to the second tier, then maybe again to a third. We'll see how far along I get.

Quote:
34 minutes ago, KevinTheCynic said:

Are you thinking at all about modelling any of the Wonders?

Probably not at this stage, mate. Have a go yourself if you're keen! [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/58462f70003fe_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic553.png[/img]

Quote:
36 minutes ago, KevinTheCynic said:

HD version of II

I never got the bugger to load properly, some kind of .Net issue or Windows Update thing I think. Oh well. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]/emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" title=":(" width="20" />

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9053-mackgideon/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9053" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9053-mackgideon/">@MackGideon</a> There's no particular need for the Wonders, they'd be nice but they'd be a major workload to add, I was being a bit cheeky when I asked about them [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

As for trying to make them myself, I did actually try modding some time back but found that I lack the skill but more importantly the patience for it [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/blush.png[/img]/emoticons/blush@2x.png 2x" title=":$" width="20" />

Some more pieces (not compiled yet into modules) for the eaves, overhangs, verandas and pergolas.

[Image: hasKtiv.jpg]

Also, I've been working on the blockhouse component. Not yet complete, but getting there. There's gonna be a one-level and a two-level variant of each style and material combo.

[Image: LE88xgi.jpg]

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9053-mackgideon/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9053" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9053-mackgideon/">@MackGideon</a> Looking good! [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/58462f70003fe_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic553.png[/img]

I have a lot of enthusiasm for your project because while I am always going to like having more buildings for the game [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" /> , I think the most important factor is that you're offering buildings of a style we don't have yet. Specifically the buildings in the South American, Arabic and Asian architectural styles.

The South American style will be a very awesome addition for people who want to play the jungle maps available through <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>.

Quote:
6 hours ago, KevinTheCynic said:

buildings of a style we don't have yet

I had a go at a japanese curved roof, just a mockup at this stage.

[Image: ENHuwQM.jpg]

Also added a Viking Longhouse style because I love viking architecture. There's a variant with vertical buttresses, and I'll make a few variants of roof maybe with some dragons on the crossbeams or something similar

[Image: Oo1gcGJ.jpg]