Banished Empires

I've been learning modelling, and I wanted to share some things I've been working on.

I always loved Age of Empires since I was a young kid, and I've been designing a modular set that - when combined - could mimic the layout of a Barracks.

[Image: TtmJn51.png]

COMBINED THEY FORM...

[Image: xasWX9C.png]

I suppose that I could make the house itself either a domicile, or perhaps some kind of workshop that turned weapons and work into an exportable and/or usable resource that simulated combat experienced mercenaries. If anyone wants the models, they are welcome to them.

This one is the first of many different styles that I plan on adding, all modular and enabling the simulation of many classical game buildings. What do you folks think? 

In general I really like the idea, I'm all for more variety in the game. I like what you've done so far and particularly the idea of making them modular because I would love to see more pieces that can be added to the main barracks building and the walls to expand them further into something like a small fort. I also like Age of Empires a lot, I started with AoE II and then AoE III. Later I found a re-release of the very first one and bought it to see what it was like and so I could have the entire set [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

The only issue I have with creating some of the buildings from AoE is that some of them look too small for the purpose they have. This is in no way a criticism of your modding, it's a criticism of some of the buildings in AoE. For example, the barracks and the stables look too small to be capable of holding a unit of guards/horses and all their gear. I know that really is just my perception because I prefer a building in the game to look as though it could actually do the job in real life.

However, the various houses, the church, the trade market and the townhall from AoE all look "about the right size" and I think they would make really excellent additions to Banished if that's what you were thinking of doing. And after saying all that, please don't change what you're going to do just because I want more - I'm greedy, I ALWAYS want more buildings for Banished especially if they are modular buildings so I can mix & match.

So yeah, if you make a mod with a range of buildings from AoE then I am definitely going to download it because it'll combine two games that I like! [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

I absolutely agree. Tis why I made them modular, so you could theoretically have two or three rowhouses end-to-end, plus a much bigger courtyard with the modular Wall pieces and a parade ground of floor tiles.

I'm also planning to have elevated and roadbound decorative objects like storage areas, armouries, and training props like dummies and archery butts and targets. It's my hope that I can eventually code them as workstations, and requiring smithy-forged items to build, like bows and weapons.

Quote:
1 hour ago, MackGideon said:

I absolutely agree. Tis why I made them modular, so you could theoretically have two or three rowhouses end-to-end, plus a much bigger courtyard with the modular Wall pieces and a parade ground of floor tiles.

I'm also planning to have elevated and roadbound decorative objects like storage areas, armouries, and training props like dummies and archery butts and targets. It's my hope that I can eventually code them as workstations, and requiring smithy-forged items to build, like bows and weapons.

Some really interesting ideas in that. I look forward to the day when I can play your mod [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

Looks neat [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" /> more modular sets are always welcome 

And it's good practice for bridges, which in banished use a modular system to create themselves. 

I've been working more on my towers, which comprise of three parts: the tower body, the tower cap, and the accessory.

These are the tower bodies, ScaffoldRoundSquareOctagonal, and Pyramidal.

[Image: ziEQScz.jpg]

[Image: 8HaexuQ.jpg]

[Image: U4I4xRu.jpg]

[Image: WJ6h6L1.jpg]

All the towers can have "caps":

[Image: RzntawV.jpg]

The Conical (as seen on french chateaus and castles)

[Image: ZsHu2kM.jpg]

The Box, seen here with an egyptian style facade

[Image: qfbaB7I.jpg]

The Residential style, with hipped rooves and dormers

[Image: c4dTMwP.jpg]

And the Pavilion style.

[Image: 37EfzIH.jpg]

Those towers are awesome. 

Quote:
22 minutes ago, Necora said:

Those towers are awesome. 

Thanks mate!

I've also got a bunch of walls I'm working on. These plus the towers and Tower caps, plus the rectangular buildings should be able to replicate all the different archery ranges and barracks.

Then comes the central square buildings for the town centre, plus different styles of eaves that you see in the sprites.

Then I'll make curved corner eaves that can replicate the ones you see on the market sprite, which could fit any existing <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> or Market Puzzle bits beneath it.

Any other ideas? I'd be happy to hear suggestions!

Haha where to start? A blacksmith that fits up against the walls, a bakery or kitchen the possibilities are endless. You could re-create Winterfell with those round towers. 

Have you thought about trying to get them into the game so you can judge scale etc?

Quote:
10 minutes ago, Necora said:

Have you thought about trying to get them into the game so you can judge scale etc?

I think maybe I'm putting that part off because it's all new to me and I've only just gotten ok at modelling ?.

I guess I should get around to it. Maybe I'll make a tower first as a house or a storage area, see how I go.