Building reflection idea

Thanks but don't get me started or you'll be busy replying and never have time for those wonderful landscapes you do!

Not to keep flogging a dead llama but...

If making a building notes where you place on the map (1) and its orientation (2) from rt keys, then goes about creating the building (3), is it possible to give an option to reflect the orientation function (2) along a coordinate axis started from your placement (1), letting the building creation (3) then take place in what it sees as a normal, yet mirrored to the viewer, fashion? In other words the reflection option is seen by (3) as part of (2)s instructions. If so, then I think no building blueprint changes - wayhay!, just (ha!) a new function (y or g key?) that would enable all buildings to then have 8 and not 4 basic aspects.

I suppose if rt selections change each buildings interact points in ways other than grid coordinates then ... Any thoughts, ie I'm daft, appreciated.

Quote:
16 hours ago, Necora said:

Just FYI - All buildings that the bannies use will have a use point, it is where they work, drop off supplies, pick up supplies etc., so houses, churches, schools, backsmiths etc. Anything that makes a product will also have a create point where the product appears. If you wanted to reverse this, I think they only way to do it would be a separate toolbar instance

heres a screen grab of something that shows how to do it in the fbx:

[Image: ANLRlr.jpg]

The game knows when the rsc says FBX > Points, how its attached to the mesh its looking for. (sub object)

Code:
PointList resource
{
    String _meshName = "Models\logcabin.fbx";
    String _subObject = "points";
}

it will always look for the sub objects of the mesh its searching for first.

Usually i just rename the points but this is an easy way to allow F's to have different use/smoke positions etc

thanks for replying shockpuppet

I recognise the elevation views and think I understand what you said. If the mesh attachments are looked for first, then these sub objects are defined in a separate earlier process - the model design, (within the model fbx / points files I guess). I didn't fully realise that every RT aspect is also a sort of f variant. If there are four cardinal rotations for each model then there would be four sets of points files for each model within the these files? If just one set, (that the RT keys manipulate) then that would be where I thought a coefficient on the x or y coordinate to mirror the model may be applied at the time of user placement and orientation. I wondered if the RT keys could re-orientate a predesigned model then maybe they could also, with tweaking, do a reflection.

Sorry for taking your time away from the most fine, it truly is!, <abbr title="Colonial Charter">cc</abbr> work you're doing. Great site and members you've got!

Quote:
11 minutes ago, rebelobster said:

If the mesh attachments are looked for first, then these sub objects are defined in a separate earlier process

Yep that broadly the gist of it

Basically all we need do is mirror a mesh and put the points list as a sub object. The points list is the internal system of "work here, create item here, chimney smoke here" etc 

There you go see, I did say 'I might be wrong' and I usually am haha. I had no idea you could attach multiple points to an object like that and the game would read it. In Blender you'd have to name each point with a unique number, build_001, 002, 003, 004, 005 etc., use_001, use_002, _003, _004... so I wasn't sure if the game would still read that.

Mirroring the mesh should just be a command in the code shouldn't it, or would it mean an F variant?

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3372-the-pilgrim/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3372" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3372-the-pilgrim/">@the Pilgrim</a> it would have to be an F