Building reflection idea

Whilst thinking (wrongly! thank you paeng) that certain builings like pastures couldn't be rotated, wondered if buildings could be reflected.

For example a pasture, with south facing shelter in north east corner, could be reflected to one with a south facing shelter in north west corner. This then allows you to have two / four adjacent pastures with a collection of shelters all together. You often see farm buildings and gates collected around singular access points - saves time and money in construction and also frees up more land for other uses. This reflection tool could be applied to plenty of other buildings too.

As to modding this, (sorry but i dont have the know how yet!), would it just be a "simple" case of adding a coefficient relative to the local building placement coordinates, or a complete, and therefore unfeasible, redraw of the building? A new toolbar selection or keyboard input whilst positioning would also be required.

I have used a similar tool elsewhere to great effect and have not found one, if it exists, for banished.

Pipe dream or not?

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand... if you want 4 shelters grouped around a single access point, you can simply build them like this -

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/layout.png.3b1d638d766f0d5ef70e4e708c3d6ea7.png[/img]

I think <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/10069-rebelobster/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="10069" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/10069-rebelobster/">@rebelobster</a> is looking for something to mirror a building say make one the looks like this...

xxxll  look like this... llxxx

I'm not sure that can be done except by adding more F variants. 

I guess it should be OK to do. You could, as Pilgrim said, add F-variants to the buildings that is a simple mirror. The one thing with F-variants, and I might be wrong about this if there is a code trick I've not come across yet, is that the interact points need to be in the same place for each variant. You can have smoke coming from a different place for each one, I recently learned how to do that, but I don't think you can do the same for the use point, create point, build points etc. This isn't such a big deal, but your building either needs a) a place on each side that will look good if the bannies are going in to work there, or b) have all of the create and use points on the very center of the building, so it doesn't matter if it is flipped. If, for example, your door to the house is on the right of a model, if you flip that model so the door is on the left, but the points stay the same, then the bannies will be walking through walls. You can also not have different road tile or access tile layouts for F-variants. If you see the Maritimes Mod, the small PEI fishing huts have F-variants with slightly different lay outs in terms of building size, but unfortunately the same position of work points. So this means that in the bigger ones it is fine, but the two smaller buildings, the bannies are kinda ghosting in and out of the walls of the building when working. Visually it is annoying, but functionally it is fine.

Seems like a lot of work for... hmmm, I guess I didn't understand the purpose either (unless simply decoration)... [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

Thanks for the feedback folks

Pilgrim said it very concisely, eg gardenHOUSE|ESUOHnedrag if that makes sense! Lots of semi detached houses where I am, and many buildings do share a common wall. And paeng, yes for the decoration part, I was trying to see if there was a potential option to avoid the "spinning star" type look with your pic above, even though I know it will have a deserving place in some landscapes. Necora - you've put me in my place, ha! - I hadn't fully caught on to the amount of different function nodes, and thus specific locations, each building blueprint may have. I doubt there are many "centred create and use point" or "each side good" buildings that my idea could be used on. It may be possible on a few smaller houses or any that don't have specific create / use points such as, (and im sure i'll be wrong again here, oh well...), the town hall or cemetery. For bannies to avoid ghosting walls to get to their use points on other type buildings, I thought my idea of a coefficient would reverse both visual and in pc reference areas, (sorry computer lingo is not my strong point as im sure you all realise), thus directing both the bannie feet and the visual graphics to the left rather than the right.

Though I am trying to contribute, albeit clumsily, paeng's "seems like a lot of work" sums my idea up rather well. I'll try for a better one next time!

There are no bad questions or ideas my friend, I'm asking them all the time, some seem dumb (even if they seem good to me) and are not possible but you'll never know if you never ask! I'm still learning how it all works too. I have had the same thought when building pastures, sometimes it annoys me that they only rotate and you cannot have the pasture shelter in the same place just mirrored on the opposite side of the road.

Just FYI - All buildings that the bannies use will have a use point, it is where they work, drop off supplies, pick up supplies etc., so houses, churches, schools, backsmiths etc. Anything that makes a product will also have a create point where the product appears. If you wanted to reverse this, I think they only way to do it would be a separate toolbar instance, i.e. a separate building, rather than an F-variant. This is of course possible, I think <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> do it with the row houses, where for each house there is a separate tool bar button, one for the door on the right and one for the door on the left. The issue of course is the pure number of buildings you will end up with if you mirrored everything. However, if there are a few certain ones that you find you really want done, such as pastures, it should be do-able... you just have to find someone willing with the time [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" /> but also with the pasture it will have to be a new building all together as I don't think we have access to the model files for the vanilla buildings. 

Quote:
1 hour ago, rebelobster said:

trying to contribute

That's the spirit  [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/58462f70003fe_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic553.png[/img]

Thanks Necora. Sometimes simple ideas are just not that simple after all!! I really thought that, excuse this poor wording, mirroring a data file along one axis would be a case of multiplying the reference locations by eg minus one and all would follow seamlessly thereafter! Ha, the fool I am! I would never ask for specific file for myself - thought this could be a small tweak that many could benefit from.

I will look at your "learning to create mods discussions" for maritimes again and I will try to remember that "coding", or programming as I knew it, is never as easy as the use of the finished product makes it look.