CC1.7 - First Impressions

Quote:
7 minutes ago, elemental said:

normal town trees (not ghost trees) aren't flattening the ground

Most, if not all, of the decorations do not flatten the terrain, because it is trivially easy to do it yourself, and sometimes people don't want them to, and it would be much more work to have 2 versions of everything.

OK, thanks. But when you flatten it yourself near water it ends up looking very blocky because the flatten tool flattens a perfect square but a tree didn't use to do that. But having two sets would be a bit ridiculous considering the number of decorations on offer. I also noticed that only ghost decs can be built on roads now, so obviously someone has been cleaning up the decorations system. Very glad to see that all of the trees now available as ghosts. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

After playing some more the birds are driving me crazy. I used to have ambient sounds on 10 but now I have them on 3, which means I hear almost nothing of the other ambient sounds. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]/emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" title=":(" width="20" /> Please consider making the birdsong optional.

Quote:
1 hour ago, elemental said:

Please consider making the birdsong optional.

use this:

<iframe data-embedcontent="" frameborder="0" src="<___base_url___>/index.php?/files/file/159-quieter-ambience-for-17/&do=embed"></iframe>

i can give u a workaround for the flatten earth problem. it isnt great but would help. u add a mod above <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> that does flatten the eerath n place those items and remove them. like i said its a slow way but workable. use RED's new firemod the torches will flatten and are instant removable.no extra building time or costs.

Quote:
On 23/01/2017 at 6:09 AM, Feneris said:

I will say one thing, one look at all the new buildings, at it is plain as day how much you guys have improved since you first started doing this. Just looking at all these makes me more and more excited to see your game when you are actually ready to unveil it.

^ 100% this. I love how detailed some of the replacements are like the Chandlery and Building Supplier are now - I can actually zoom in to see little candle wares for barter! 

Kind of makes some of the vanilla buildings look bad now, the mine in particular looks naff.

I like the new natural ambience as well, first impression of the bird tweets was 'oh, we really are in the wilderness' :-) 

Quote:
14 hours ago, ShockPuppet said:

use this:

<iframe data-embedcontent="" frameborder="0" src="<___base_url___>/index.php?/files/file/159-quieter-ambience-for-17/&do=embed"></iframe>

Thank you so much for that, it's very much appreciated. The birdsong is a very nice addition to the game, and now I can hear the frogs and other sounds again. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Love, love, LOVE <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> 1.71!  And I am in awe of all your talents.  I would kill to be able to make my worlds look like Paeng can do.  I would sell my first-born child to have the patience and talent that ShockPuppet shows.  Amazing people, amazing work, and all for free!!  Everyone should try to donate.  Even a small sum adds up.  Imagine a world with no <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> in it and dig deep, people!  Black Liquid may do this because they love Banished and love creating, but money makes the world go round.

Thank you very, very much, Black Liquid, and anyone else who helped make this wonderful addition to Banished! 

Your new pine trees (nice, by the way) aren't offered as ghosts and neither are the groundcovers. Not sure if that was intentional or an oversight but I'm hoping they might turn up in the next patch. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Also, that really spready groundcover with the roundish leaves would look great as a water plant if you made a version that sat at water level. Bamboo would also look great growing on creek banks if you made another version that was a little lower (unless it already does extend lower than ground level - I only thought of that just now and haven't actually checked in game). And then of course there are the water lilies, which really should be at water level. That would be very cool. And if they were pink or white (or both) that would be even cooler. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" /> We only have reeds for water plants and the lakes need some loving.

I still haven't found the other textures for the Chandlery and Glassblower. If they're F variants then mine don't work because I have one variant and one only, if they are part of the themed set for buildings from earlier versions of <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> then they aren't in the menu. Am I looking in the wrong place? 

It seems this thread has become a bug report thread, but that's not what I intended it to be. General impression now that I have played a bit... it's good. But then again... was anyone seriously expecting 1.7 to be anything else? [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

I guess there are two opposite ways to play Banished: town builder going for maximum population and building density, or town painter, going for maximum beauty. And yes, obviously you can be somewhere in between, too.

As someone who does a lot of decorating/landscaping I like that the decorative items have been cleaned up and that just about everything is now offered as a ghost item. It must have been a tedious job but it was worth it. I will be plopping some of those nice big greenboy trees in my pastures. It gets hot out there! Cows want some shade too!  [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" /> This might sound silly but one of my favourite new things (so far) are the ghost reeds. It was sooooooo stupid that you couldn't place reeds on true water tiles but you could place them in the middle of town. Now they can go anywhere. Love it.

There are certainly some beautiful new buildings in 1.7. I haven't gotten into the new shack buildings yet but I very much like the new town smithy and bakery. Actually, the sharp texturing on some of these new buildings is so good it's making some of the older buildings look a bit tired. The central market, for example. It's always been my favourite market building,  but put that new bakery next to it and suddenly the textures on the central market warehouse look like a watercolour painting. Not bad, just noticeably fuzzy compared to the newer stuff. So Shock, your texturing skills have certainly advanced to a whole new level with 1.7. Good stuff, and thank you. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />