Unlockable Buildings Requirements

Quote:
10 hours ago, Deranged Monkey said:

I agree with you. In my current and last game, I mentally "locked" myself from building a trading post until I reach 300 people -- adds a little complexity and changes the strategy.   

I think this is a very big factor in how some of us play Banished, that is, we set our own goals and play the game to achieve whatever goal we have set. If buildings were locked until a certain condition is met, it would be like every other game that pushes you forward all the time. With Banished you have to be a little bit more thoughtful and in so doing you find there's a lot of freedom for personal creativity.

For some people used to games that give you a specific direction or basically tell you when & where to place buildings or limit how you can play the game or actually lead you forward then Banished is a very different experience and one that can take some getting used to.

Quote:
10 hours ago, Deranged Monkey said:

In my current and last game, I mentally "locked" myself from building a trading post until I reach 300 people -- adds a little complexity and changes the strategy.

How many years did that take? I hope for everyone's sake that the crop you started out with wasn't cabbage. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/ph34r.png[/img]/emoticons/ph34r@2x.png 2x" title=":ph34r:" width="20" />

Quote:
On 2/6/2017 at 9:29 PM, elemental said:

How many years did that take?

On the current game I'm on is year 32 with population 235 adults, 49 students, and 67 children. So I'm aiming for 300 adults.  I have no starting crops or orchards.  Using a prior <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>:Return of the Forge, I found that clothing was the weak link with huge shortages without fiber-crops.

I've printed out copies of the Construction and Production spreadsheets and sometimes check those to make sure I have the goods I need before building a building.  I still build the Building Supplier 1st since I know I will need it and it is fairly large - so I want to save a good spot for it.  One of the things I like about Cities: Skylines is "unlocking" new buildings as my town grows and I level up. I like feeling "rewarded".