Unlockable Buildings Requirements

There is now so many new buildings in <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> that it's easy to find something, think 'wow I definitely want that', build it, only to find that it's no use to you currently as you cannot supply it correctly. A typical scenario for me is:

- Identify that I need 'X' resource, in this case Building Supplies.

- Invest precious resources to create the 'Building Supplier'

- Realise you need joists, bricks, copper etc for production.

- Shed a colonial tear or two.

----

So my idea would be to make buildings locked/unbuildable until prerequisites exist. As the vanilla game has no unlockable buildings, this suggestion is likely impossible to do the traditional 'tech tree' way so perhaps just change some of the resource materials required for build to include it's production chain? 

E.g. Building Supplier changes from 60 Wood + 60 Lumber to instead be:  60 Lumber + 10 Bricks + 2 Joists + 5 Glass

This stops the player from building the production building which they do not have the resources to supply.

Other examples: Chandlery 45 Wood + 10 Tallow + 10 Beeswax, Salting House 45 Wood + 20 Salt

Unfortunately there is no way to do this, as this is a part of the code that we don't have access to. 

You can only have a maximum of 3 build resource requirements.

Building supplies was the unhappy workaround to that. We would love to do it your way, but it would require editing of the game by luke to make it work right.

It's very true that you can get stuck with a building that you can't yet supply. I guess knowing which buildings you are ready for and which ones you aren't is a trial and error learning process. But you can always save your game before you build something, or check out the wiki to see what you need to make the products you want to make. Not ideal solutions perhaps, but that's about all we have.

Apart from that I quite like the building supplies/homewares system. It's a clever workaround to one of the many limitations built into the game. Modding has taken Banished well beyond what the creator ever imagined it would be.

The Spreadsheets and the Wiki give the "recipes" for buildings/products. We're working on adding the 1.7 buildings.

I, for one, am very happy that the "unlock" concept was not applied to the game. It's the primary reason that I play Banished in preference to other city building games.

Thank you for clarifying [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

the only "lock" concept we can play with is about nomads (get nomads or not before to get building requirements like townhall market TP)

but we cannot as this feature to a building (not get allowed to build something before we get another building - that we cannot do)

i think CATO has a point,if u dont look at it as a "lock" but as a step in the chains. say a building materials needs bricks,glass etc to produce goods ,then set the building requirements to include the bricks and lumber. then you can't build the building without having the items the building uses. simialar idea <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> does with the brick furnace and glass blower. you need clay for 1 and sand for the other so those were also added to the build requirements. it isn't full proof but does help. i have several mills and bakeries and they use different grains. i had sorghum early in a game,so made a mill,but built the wrong 1. i even tried to make my own chart but that got monotonous and if u add a mod it changes. 1 of the problems i had is the modders arent uniform. some storage buildings list the capacity not all. and which way should i make the list: by building material requirements?  or by the size??? or by the outputs?? with over 70 mods it was too long a list,lol.

Ah yeah, I think I understand better now what <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9004-cato/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9004" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9004-cato/">@Cato</a> was thinking about. It appears that it can be done in the way you mentioned <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8298-stiles/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="8298" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8298-stiles/">@stiles</a> because as you mentioned, the brick maker requires clay for making bricks but it also needs clay for the building process before it can be constructed. However, that means another layer of complexity for the modders to include and while it may not be difficult, it might not be something every modder wants to do. This means there will be mods that do include the idea and mods that don't so the problem will never fully go away.

It also starts to mess with people's ideas of how a building should work, for example, should a dairy need milk before it can be built? It makes sense based on the idea we're discussing but it's obviously a bit silly for a building to need something like that as a requirement for it to be constructed.

I do understand that it's disappointing to construct a particular building and then find out you don't have the resources to make anything but I also think that some players will argue that it's not such a big deal for them. They either demolish the building or leave it in place until they have the resources (and some players do like to do this so that they can pre-plan their towns) or they just don't construct the building until they have the resources available for it to produce goods.

I'm not saying the idea is bad or that it cannot be done (I actually kind of like it), but I am saying that it needs to be understood that some modders might not want to worry about all of that because as I said earlier, it's kind of silly for example, to need honey as a pre-requisite for building an apiary or flour as a pre-requisite for building a bakery but for those particular production buildings, what else could you use to control when it could be built? It's a lot to worry about in some cases because I feel some people won't see that it's worth trying to explain why, for example, a bakery needs flour before you're allowed to build it.