Are Marketplace's really important?

I like to use the Traveling Wagon Vendor in MegaMod because it is small and serves a smaller area.  That way I can make smaller "townlets" and spread out more.

So I'll have two town centers, some distance apart, servicing the industrial/food area between them, for example.  Kind of a North Pole/South Pole kind of thing.

I also put a Magazine and a rather large stockpile just outside the market's radius to keep things closer for the merchants to grab.

wow,lots of good points. not sure if i will be of help or confuse more. i used to not use markets. figured it was too commercialized and the banis don't use money.i started to use them to stock far off corners of the map in mining areas or production areas,mainly to bring food and tools. most villages i would produce food and stocks to support each by itself.

over time i have learned to use markets more for various reasons. 1 they do carry lots more.  if you are clearing an area to build,the laborers can cut down trees and break stones,the local vendor can do pick up and transport back to storage.  i believe this makes the clearing go faster. i also have seen banis walk past a town with barns full of food and they were hungry. they were going away from their home not toward it to eat.this town was a distance from their home. worrying the bani was going to starve for being stupid,i started to put at least a small market near bridges or cross roads or other heavily traveled areas.

yes the markets help with productivity but that was lower on my priority list. i opted for growth and expansion. town function and looks even was given more thought than productivity. each person's game play or style changes over time and with experience.

back to what PAENG said on the banis' mind sets. i think there is assumed functions thqat differ from his points,wrong assumptions apparerntly. from my reading here and there, i thought the vendors would shuffle items from each other as well as from barns. i thought i read where they were competeing for stocks somewhere once. workers not using a market at ALL, the idea has always been they take from the closest place.if that close place was a barn they go there as long as it was stocked,then to the next closest if that was empty.this is 2 pints against productivity. if they are inside the market circle ,then instead of going to the closest barn,they go to the market to collect supplies.such strange creatures. the herbalist is more awkward.instead of going to the herbalist and him supplying the medicine,the bani has to find the medicine himself 1st and again not from the closest place but has to be from a market.that is odd. i normally use a cellar of barn near the herbalist. these points could change how we place things on our maps.

PAENG "VENDORSALSO DELIVER SMALL STOCKS OF "PERSONAL USE ITEMS(TOOLS AND COATS) TO THE STORAGE BARNS THEY VISIT." that is an interesting point. i have questions with that. i have been told this does not happen and must have been a glitch.when i first started to use markets,as i said it was to stock a far off area for a mining town. this was way up in the top left corner on the other side of a huge lake.to get there was a hike over several bridges as well. it has been a long time ago. i can't remember what market i used and it might have been more than 1.the goal was to stock the area with a variety of goods while i cleared and began to build. i wanted a good supply before there was housing to this area. i found the 1 single vendor clear on the other side of the map not taking stock but actually stocking areas way outside his circle.and i swear i saw him take items from a storage and go down the road to one house drop off,go back to the same storage and pick up and go the other direction to another house. as i had not used vendors before this i was concerned that he was not stocking the area way across the lake,so i kept an eye on him for a while.to me at the time,it was quite strange that the 1 vendor<there was no other vendor on the map>was way outside his circle,i thought that the circle was where they collected from.i was surprised he was stocking other wokers and their houses.he took food from a barn and delivered it to houses.not only did this vendor carry more but he was super fast,as he had stocked all over. the market way across the lake was not totally empty,thou i can't say it had everything in it. my point to all this story is  you say the vendor stocks storage and i assume you mean stockpiles as well. so a vendor would supply a firewood cutter if it was set with a log pile.or stock a nearby barn with clothes or tools. which explains why 1 vendor will stock all the markets on a map. are vendors suppose to go outside their circle and stock markets,barns,and piles outside their circle?? i take it the vendor is not suppose to stock houses?? is their a market mod that has a vendor that does supply homes??? is it possable to mod such a vendor?? if all those are noo ,then someone please find my missing vendor and send him home,i miss him. he was a super worker for sure.seriously it might sound strange but it sure would be nice on the huge <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> maps. lately i have wondered if it was a mod that is moved in my mod order.

Stiles, I just tried to put my findings in a tight and easy to understand form, to the best of my knowledge... they are distilled from thousands of hours gameplay, reading most everything ever posted re: Banished, making many experiments, building even more towns, and discussing things with lots of users for long and sometimes heated hours - but hey, nobody is perfect  [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />

I have been through all the griping everybody else has - wildly cursing those "little idiots" who sometimes do things in a seemingly senseless manner... but somewhere along the way I found peace, just accepting things the way they are and rolling with that - after all, bannies are just pixel heaps following pre-defined rules. They don't have a mind of their own.

My games then immediately became easy and relaxed... [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

A simple fact in Banished, time = distance = production. Therefor time taken to get essentials from a barn is going to impact production, unless you have only one barn, it means many trips to different places, to get what you need, and then you have to go to the stockpile too. Markets are a one stop shopping place, that takes the travel from the producer to a specialized vendor. Considering that goods are scattered across all storage structures, (regardless of closest storage, a well documented function), it makes sense to have a vendor do the walking for all the users of his market. We have many specialized markets that do the same for production, getting the raw materials, a gofer function that does the same, again 1 collector for many users. Its this function that makes markets essential, just like storage size in housing will limit the market visits. Its easy to underestimate one function when you examine it in isolation.

Herbalist are the only way to use health products, which are again essential to survival, 50% of a heart is important when you only have 2 or 3.

The central aspect of these misunderstandings are largely linked to a gaming style that takes the very easy version of the game that comes from <abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr> as the game standard, which it is not for many players. Nor is it the way the game physics works.

I keep smaller storage areas right next to production buildings. I then put a market in town to collect the goods for the people that happen to live in town. This way the people producing or harvesting goods do not have to go far in order to drop off their goods.