Are Marketplace's really important?

I've been playing banished since late 2014, and started using <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> when Curse of the Golden Llama 1.4 just came out back in March of 2015.

And I always personally hated using market places. They take up so much space and have such a large footprint and have very little storage for there massive size. so they don't even hold a lot of whatever they are holding and distributing.

Really that is my only complaint about them, they have so little storage space by per tile for the space they occupy, and for the area they service the don't cover a very large area going off of (market footprint)/(total area serviced) the larger markets' cover and occupy a large percentage of the area they cover to what they service.

And the small ones are nice for there size to the area they cover but then you have the problem of lots of citizens doing essentially nothing and the amount of stuff they hold is only enough for 2 people worth of food to carry. I watched a market cart before and it would constantly go from 9%-100% to 0 to 100% full capacity nonstop.

Okay I'm kind of ranting and not explaining my main purpose, the point of this post is, how useful or not useful are marketplaces? I have done games and built city's before with no to barely any marketplaces. I tend to just not build them but sometimes I do. Just encase maybe they help in some way. Or are they purely just cosmetic? And then I tend to not even staff them at all if I do build them.

I just want to know do they actually help with productivity or don't?

I wanted to run an experiment or if anyone knows already. if I build a network of marketplaces that overlap with each other do the vendors take stuff from other marketplaces to put it in theirs? I tend to build mass production centers. all food production in this area, all clothes produces in another all tools produced in another and all mining in a corner.

Another question is, if they are useful and I should build them, which is the best one? has the most storage? Or is best for servicing a large area for its size? I tried finding as much information as I could before this post; but most of all the market buildings don't have complete info on there storage capacity on them in the megamod. Only a few of the marketplaces have there data in the data sheets. Along with a lot of other missing data. That I am experimenting and trying to figure out myself.

Thanks in advance for any replies or help, would really appreciate it.

Especially since the beginning of me playing banished I've always never was for the large market place, looks nice but...

P.s. This was written at 3am in the morning/middle of the night hope you can read it and understand what I'm trying to say

Not quite an answer but perhaps a half-answer... I've always tended to think of markets as a way to stop workers from having to travel to barns and warehouses to collect items. If placed in the middle of a housing area, the market centralizes the location of those needed items so the workers can spend less time travelling between home, workplace and storage.

How much this affects their productivity I think is a case of working out how far they would need to travel to collect food, tools, clothes etc. etc. if they had to visit different areas of a town to get resupplied. Having the market right next to their homes obviously reduces the travel time they need to get food or tools. Of course you could just have a bunch of barns/warehouses in the middle of your housing area but barns/warehouses have far less control over what gets stored in them, I get the impression that with markets the workers try to get a decent range of products rather then stocking too much or too little of any particular item.

And of course, the real plus for any market use is that there are a reasonable number of mods adding smaller marketplaces to the game - I think I have about four or five individual marketplace mods running alongside the markets provided by larger mods such as <abbr title="New Medieval Town">NMT</abbr>, <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> and Small Town Rowhouses. I have enough variety so that I can have everything from small to huge market areas to better fit the different areas of the map.

In regards to what is the best marketplace, this I believe comes down to your individual ideas and the way your town is set out. As mentioned, I use a variety of markets with smaller ones being ideal for remote areas (that I use for say hunters, gatherers, foresters or miners, quarrymen) and the larger ones for areas where I want lots of housing. I also have a tendency to have a bit of overlap of the market radius if I'm trying to build a really big housing area. I also put small "industrial" markets in areas where there's a lot of workplaces, (e.g. mines, quarries) so that the workers don't have to travel back home to get tools, clothes or special resources.

Thanks for the answer "half answer" haha.

I put bank barns(best storage for food and a large variety of almost everything) everywhere near houses and production areas, along with some of the specialized warehouses, the stone and iron warehouse and then the wood dock storage. I use the megamod only. And those buildings are the best for highest storage per tile.

The other thing I was wondering is if they help with industrial production. I noticed for example some of my marketplaces would have stuff like iron ore and feathers and reeds. 

I asked about the cross coverage thing because I was wondering if they happen to chain on eachother, like materals or food travel across the markets to evenly distribute them out or do the workers just walk all the way across town to collect them from the source.

I'm not sure how others do theirs but I have a larger main one near the starting point, then I keep the radius open and place 1 smaller one (vendor carts, travelling vendor etc), with their radius just touching, or overlapping by 1 tiles, a the 4 quadrants, then as I build into areas I add additional ones, for my outposts etc, each one will have their own travelling vendor or farmers market, AND I always add 1 herbalist from the puzzle marketplace (1 x 2) so that all my outposts will always have herbs regardless of what else fills the market in that outpost.  

Nearly all outposts have a gatherer & hunter so a food merchant never really gets added, unless it's a mining or 'workshop' based outpost away from the main area.  In which case I add a travelling vendor cart / small market, then I add a herbalist, food & tools vendor from the puzzle market.  Maybe overkill, but so far I've had even distribution.

Even if I'm just land clearing and terraforming I drop in a small marketplace so that the workers get items "on the go". [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

I did ask somewhere else a similar question, and it was my understanding that market vendors won't take from other market vendors - BUT - the storage barns, where you can decide what the storage unit holds in them, they will take from anyone ...  BUT ...  I haven't had confirmation of that, and I can't remember the exact context, I'm happy to be proven wrong [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8039-barraca/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="8039" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8039-barraca/">@Barraca</a> Interesting question and one that I really have no idea about other than what I "think" has been happening based on the idea of trying to keep worker's homes as close to the workplace as possible to reduce travel time when they need food or warmth etc. etc. The workers wandering back home for food etc. etc. definitely affects productivity so I have come to believe that placing homes as near a workplace as possible and then placing a market within the housing area (to further reduce their travel distance when they need to get supplies), helps productivity. It may not boost it much perhaps but it certainly doesn't make it worse lol.

Having said all that, my answers are derived from what I think is happening in various towns I've made but I know my perception of what is happening and what the game mechanics actually do have sometimes been vastly different! 

I will agree with you there on having houses close to the workplace. I have definitely seen in my games, a huge jump in productivity when I put my houses next to or closer to the workplace. I guess the overall purpose of this thread is to figure out how to further increase productivity.

A question im kind of having now is. who brings materials to the workplaces? is it by the workers only or is it by laborers and vendors too when they have free time? I never really paid attention to that before if that is a thing. Because I have had some workplaces far from there resources before and as far as I could tell(maybe didn't pay attention too much) their production wasnt hindered or maybe it was and didn't notice. haha. But im sure I would have noticed if it was significant and they were producing nothing.

And I hope someone else can give some insight to the market place mechanics,as people see this post

Quote:
19 minutes ago, QueryEverything said:

I'm not sure how others do theirs but I have a larger main one near the starting point, then I keep the radius open and place 1 smaller one (vendor carts, travelling vendor etc), with their radius just touching, or overlapping by 1 tiles, a the 4 quadrants, then as I build into areas I add additional ones, for my outposts etc, each one will have their own travelling vendor or farmers market, AND I always add 1 herbalist from the puzzle marketplace (1 x 2) so that all my outposts will always have herbs regardless of what else fills the market in that outpost.  

Nearly all outposts have a harbalist & hunter so a food merchant never really gets added, unless it's a mining or 'workshop' based outpost away from the main area.  In which case I add a travelling vendor cart / small market, then I add a herbalist, food & tools vendor from the puzzle market.  Maybe overkill, but so far I've had even distribution.

Even if I'm just land clearing and terraforming I drop in a small marketplace so that the workers get items "on the go". [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

I did ask somewhere else a similar question, and it was my understanding that market vendors won't take from other market vendors - BUT - the storage barns, where you can decide what the storage unit holds in them, they will take from anyone ...  BUT ...  I haven't had confirmation of that, and I can't remember the exact context, I'm happy to be proven wrong [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

I tend to only really build marketplaces at far away areas of my cities, I am going to make a city that is high density and more manufacturing focused, so I am going to build marketplaces everywhere to experiment. I have made a city that was very large without any marketplaces. and somewhat had no problems. so going to see the difference now. 

And is herbalist that important? haha I always make sure to build one in the middle of my city because I know they need it to get herbs to eat. but I dont build them everywhere.

And I still wish and long for the day when I can just say and mark what thing to not put or to only allow things into a curtain barn, and to tell my citizens they are banned from eating certain foods. STOP EATING ALL MY HONEY AND DRINKING MY MILK. I feel like im always yelling something like that to my citizens.

Well there's also this thread to think about...

<iframe data-embedcontent="" frameborder="0" src="<___base_url___>/index.php?/topic/859-happy-new-20067/&do=embed"></iframe>

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/889-haris/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="889" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/889-haris/">@haris</a> built a town and relied on traders to bring all the food, I believe they made use of an extensive marketplace setup to distribute the food (there was massive export of jade statues to pay for the food). I'm inclined to think that this would be far less effective if all the food, tools, etc. etc. was just stored in barns and citizens had to collect if from them - a market means the market workers collect the food, tools, clothes etc. etc. from the various barns and the citizens get everything they want from one place rather than (potentially) travelling to two or three different sites.

Also, the vendors do carry a much higher amount of items at a time.  I think it's 100 units (weight??) to the Bannie's 6 (i think, I'm foggy), so the market vendors do distribute far more quickly.  BUT - in saying that, the traders also do have the higher numbers as well.

As for the herbalists <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8039-barraca/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="8039" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8039-barraca/">@Barraca</a> because they produce so few at a time, I use the herb vendor in the puzzle market to make sure they are distributed evenly across the land, in case of an outbreak.

I have a Dr & herbalist + herb vendor in every outpost, the influenza & mumps is vicious!! [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

In my opinion, Markets are essential -

Markets / Vendors

Markets draw in a balanced mix of resources from all over the map and make them available to local residents and businesses. Vendors go out to collect the required resources, but they only visit stockpiles and storage barns. They will NOT collect anything from other markets. They also have a cart with higher capacity (500).

The market has a maximum storage capacity. Vendors compute a balance for the goods stocked in 'their' market - if there is an excess of a particular product, they will move the surplus to nearby stockpiles or storage barns to make room for more needed goods.

Vendors also deliver small stocks of "personal use items" (tools, coats) to the storage barns they visit.

Traders

Traders keep the Trading Port's inventory stocked with goods required for trading purposes. Mainly they rely on (and probably prioritize) stockpiles and storage barns all over the map, but will also gather from markets to get what is requested at a trade port.

Traders also unload goods received from merchant boats after a trade has been completed. They will NOT deliver the goods to where they are needed, they only deliver them to the nearest stockpile or storage barn where vendors, local residents and businesses can collect them.

Citizens / Workers

Citizen's living WITHIN the Sphere of Influence (SOI) of a market will travel to that market to collect the goods they need. In turn they also deliver the goods they produce directly to that market.

If they live OUTSIDE the SOI they do NOT use a market. They will go to the storage barn or stockpile nearest their home to stock it with food and fuel (NOTE: even if that stockpile/barn sits within the SOI of a market). If none of the required items are available, the citizen will move to the next sequential pile/barn until all requirements are filled.

The same rules apply to "personal use items" (tools, coats etc.), except they start from where the need arises rather than from their home.

As for your question about the importance of a

HERBALIST

The Herbalist is important to keep up the general health, thereby lowering the chance of infections. He has two jobs - he collects medicinal herbs and prepares potions or medicines which he administers to citizens for their small everyday ailments.

All villagers "visit the herbalist" regularly to pick up some medicine.

That is an important (and often misunderstood) mechanic:

The herbalist collects herbs and delivers them to barns and markets;

a citizen "buys" herbs on any market place;

a citizen goes to "visit the herbalist", bringing his herbs along;

the Herbalist can now apply the herbs and restore some of the citizen's health (usually half a heart).

* Understand that both the purchase of herbs at the market AND taking them along to the herbalist are done 'silently', meaning the player does not need to trigger these events nor will he get any notice of these transactions.

It is often suggested to maintain two herbalists to a hamlet - one in a nearby forest to "collect herbs", another one inside town and very close to a market to shorten the walks needed to "visit the herbalist". If you do not have any herbalist, there will be lots of idling.

However, a herbalist can NOT deal with an outbreak of a disease - for that you need a doctor and a proper hospital.

Hth [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />