Starting animals.

When you play using an Easy or Medium+ start, you get a small herd of animals that are milling about in front of your barn.  The type of animals you get is randomly generated and could include pigs (unless you use the Bayou or Appalachian Easy starts which always gives you chickens or longhorns.)  You should build a pasture as part of your initial town and assign a herdsman. If you don't, they won't reproduce and will eventually die off from old age since they can only have more babies if they are in a pasture.  The livestock you have should appear in the info window for the pasture so you can select it.

If you choose the Wild Things map, there are all types of "livestock" standing around in the wild. These can be "harvested" by gatherers but cannot be put into pastures.  You will also get a small herd of livestock that are milling about in front of your barn that can go into a pasture.

thanks for this. I am playing on all the wild things. had to be an easy start, cuzz i don't care for adam and eve. so, I have discovered every type of animal in the wild, all the domesticated kinds, black and white cows, leghorns bisons, etc.... I was just searching for a way to capture them, and you answered my questions. thanks.