Natural Diversity

Lots of feedback and a lot of work for us! [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/laugh.png[/img]/emoticons/laugh@2x.png 2x" title="xD" width="20" /> Thank you guys! [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />

We haven't yet thoroughly tested compatibility with other mods. It's the work of this phase!

We will make a list of all your comments and we will try to correct as many defects and add as many improvements as possible 
[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/58462f70003fe_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic553.png[/img]

Sorry if I don't have time to respond to the individual comments but I am busy with work these days [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wacko.png[/img]/emoticons/wacko@2x.png 2x" title=":S" width="20" />

Hey <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="11115" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/">@Bartender</a>, <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/12323-despo20/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="12323" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/12323-despo20/">@despo20</a>, <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9529-queryeverything/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9529" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9529-queryeverything/">@QueryEverything</a> & <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8298-stiles/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="8298" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8298-stiles/">@stiles</a> Some good information being posted here by you all. It's certainly worth us players remembering that NatDiv2 is a beta release and to post whatever strange things we find when playing it and for some of us (like me, with a ridiculous number of mods installed - about 160 I think) to remember that load order is a critical factor and can cause all kinds of trouble if not sorted out. I don't think that NatDiv2 truly has many big problems. In fact I haven't seen anything so far other than the blueberry invasion, that I would call a big problem or even a bug. I think any problems we are seeing are all minor issues - aside from the blueberry invasion, I have collected so many blueberries that I can regularly stock 9999 units at my trader and have used them for around 75% of all trades with the merchants!

APPLE FORESTERS FROM <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>: It looks as though the problem with gatherers not collecting the apples is exclusive to <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> and doesn't involve any other mods (such as NatDiv, Maritimes or New Flora) so that's good news in one way.

HERBS: The herb problem I had is new for me, I've never had such a difficult time getting a stock of herbs before and I think it is because the blueberries were over-producing and preventing most other plants from spawning. When I cleared the blueberries from areas around the town, the gatherers were able to collect a good supply. As mentioned, I've never had this sort of problem before, usually I would have a stockpile of 800-1200 by year 7 or 8. In this particular case I didn't start to see a good stockpile until year 28.

GATHERER: It's worth noting that in the image I posted showing the Apple Forester and the overlay for collecting wild foods, the reason the Gatherer's Hut shows no resources collected is because I had hit the limit of food to be stockpiled. The Gatherer's Hut was working normally before then and began collecting food resources again after I raised the food stockpile limit by another 20,000 units - no surprise at all but the amount of food stockpiled was heavily biased towards blueberries.

REEDS: Somewhere earlier in the thread, Bartender mentioned that reeds from NatDiv are meant to be compatible with those from <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>. This is not happening and I tihnk it is because they are flagged differently. If this is changed so that they are compatible with each other, then that's great but it's really a big problem this should have been --- it's NOT really a big problem
, it's more annoying than it is game breaking.

REBELLIOUS CROPS: I mentioned in a reply to stiles earlier in thread that the only orchard crop I had at the time was plums. I don't have a screenshot of it but I am certain that some plum trees have escaped the orchard and are growing nearby. It was only about 5 or 6 plum trees and it took a few years for that many to grow so I think in terms of orchards and crop fields, the Rebellious Crops mod is working fine. However... blueberries. I have never seen so many plants of one type spawn all over the map like these blueberries have done. Even with Pesky Produce, the crops took six or more years to spread over the map. With the blueberries it was only about two or three and they spawned in such high numbers that I believe they prevented other plants from spawning (e.g. herbs). I don't know specifically what's causing the blueberries to grow everywhere or why it's only blueberries growing in plague numbers but that's a much bigger problem than the situation with the reeds in my opinion.

The majority of NatDiv2 appears to be working fine.

Thanks for your expansive testing Kevin! This is very helpful [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />.

The blueberry problem: I've given this some thought and done some testing, and I've figured out what the problem is. It's actually an interaction with <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a>'s Pine mod, and it's not going to be very easy to fix until he comes back from his Robinson Crusoë trip. Essentially what happens is that both our mods are editing the original blueberry template, which creates a rather lethal combination. We can change ours, so that his blueberries won't spawn in such crazy amounts anymore, but it won't be possible to only have one of the two spawning I'm afraid.

Herbs: I expect that as you say, the blueberries are to blame here. Nothing has been changed to the herb spawnrates at least.

Reeds: I've checked it against <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>, and I've identified the problem to be a copying error on my part. I named our file RawMaterialReeds.rsc while the one in <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> is named RawMaterialReed.rsc, and that single s makes all the difference [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/tongue.png[/img]/emoticons/tongue@2x.png 2x" title=":P" width="20" />.

Rebellious Crops: As I mentioned above the blueberry problem is related to something else, so this seems to be working as intended. We'll still need to check if it is indeed causing the problems with certain <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> spawns.

KEVIN do you see any traps or beaver lodges since upgrading the new NAT DIV??? i think those have been knocked out.

If you keep Necora's Pine mod loaded above NatDiv then those should just be spawned, if you have NatDiv above the pine mod they would indeed be taken out. This is the same as it was with the previous version.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="11115" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/">@Bartender</a> & <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8298-stiles/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="8298" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8298-stiles/">@stiles</a> (and everyone else!) please note that I have edited my post above because I left out one word that was really important to understand what I meant (which was basically that the problems with the reeds from <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> and NatDiv is NOT a big problem, it's an annoying but very small problem - instead my post made it seem as though the reeds were a big problem when I actually don't believe that they are). My apologies for any confusion this may have caused [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/blush.png[/img]/emoticons/blush@2x.png 2x" title=":$" width="20" />

In regards to Necora's Pine mod, I have had it placed before NatDiv in my load order since I first started using NatDiv so I have not seen any problems with spawing resources from the Pine Set. In one of the images I posted regarding the blueberry invasion, (specifically the close-up of the Mini-Buildings campsite) you can see one of the Pine resources (and I think it is the beaver lodge).

In regards to the Herbs, I too don't think there is a problem with them and that it's an issue with the over-spawn of the blueberries. When I started to clear blueberries on a regular schedule, the other wild plants were given a chance to spawn and my herbalists were able to increase the amount of herbs they were collecting from the wild.

The blueberries have been a problem but it can be dealt with by constantly manage them. The large amount I have in storage has been very helpful for trade with the merchants but they are a problem when it comes to storing them - I had to build more barns just to store blueberries and I had to keep increasing the food storage limit so that the town would continue to produce the other food types that it needed.

Other than that I believe NatDiv2 is working as it should work and doing a good job at it. I love the look of the models for the fish trap and reaper (the other models are great as well but I really like those two!) The whole idea of NatDIv adds so much colour and variety to the smaller plants in the game that I would miss it severely if I ever uninstalled it. The idea of having plants change their growth patterns over the course of the year is fantastic - watching these plants "bloom" (yes, even the blueberries!) as the seasons changed  adds another layer of interest and enjoyment to the game. The new resources are useful but I particularly like the extra challenge of needing thatch when it comes to making a new settlement. I'm very happy that other modders have enabled thatch for their mods as well. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/58462f70003fe_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic553.png[/img]

So yes, I obviously like NatDiv a lot! [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

Another observation I've made - sometimes when labourers are clearing blueberries from a site, the "Remove" list does not show anything being cleared. Obstacles in the site ARE being cleared, but when blueberries are present, they are not listed as being cleared. In the following image it can be seen that most of the paddock is cleared but according to the menu, there are still 115 items to remove (they were all blueberries). This does not stop the game from running or cause any other problems but it does seem to be linked to the over-spawn of blueberries.

It isn't a problem that needs to be fixed immediately (and in fact it doesn't need to be fixed at all because, from what I have seen so far, it does not stop the game or any mods from functioning as they should) but I reported it because other people might see it and think it's causing a problem. I think this is "an item of interest" rather than a game breaker, it's a small bug that doesn't stop anyone from playing the game but might worry someone if they think it could be a problem.

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_06/595624892e857_Poyens-siteclearingwithblueberries.thumb.jpg.33df8e597e088f64c111c5378ef9ffbe.jpg[/img]

KEVIN,i should have asked what version of pine mod are you using?? the latest update was in may???

Judging from the picture, those are the blueberries that are part of the Pine Set. Ours look a bit different, and are probably much less abundant [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />. I've found a way to fix their unstopable spread by the way, so the real release version should work better in combination with the pine set. Because of this, the bug with the building menu is probably not related to NatDiv, but I'll still run some tests with it just to be sure.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8298-stiles/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="8298" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8298-stiles/">@stiles</a> actually that question is more important than I first thought - I am using the 1.04 Beta of the Pines Set. Because it is a beta, there may be other little things here and there that could affect other mods in some way. Necora indicates that it could cause some unknown issues because of this and warns people that they use the beta at their own risk. It appears to be working as it should from what I can tell so far - aside from the blueberry invasion!

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="11115" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/">@Bartender</a> that's great news about finding ways to stop the blueberry invasion [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" /> I too think that the building menu bug is not related to NatDiv and now we can be reasonably certain that it's all about the blueberries from the other mod. If it can be fixed, then that's great but it isn't any real sort of problem, certainly nothing like the actual problem from the over-spawn of blueberries.