BlackLiquid Forums
Natural Diversity - Printable Version

+- BlackLiquid Forums (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Banished General (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Mods General Discussion (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Natural Diversity (/showthread.php?tid=765)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

Natural Diversity - Bartender - 03-03-2017

While I'm in the process of learning how to make mods for Banished, I've embarked on a project to increase the diversity in the game's natural environment. As a biologist, I feel that this is a department in which the game is lacking. Most natural resources have only one mesh, even if in reality they would come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes.

For now, I would like to showcase the first part of this adventure, which I have dubbed Fungiversity. It incorporates 3 new types of mushrooms, and a replacement for the original fungus. All 4 types come in a one, two and three shroom variant, adding up to a total of 12 meshes. As they are simply variants, they all give the same 'mushroom' raw material when harvested.

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_03/Fungiversity.png.e26f1b6700c7cd48945da84956c4f591.png[/img]

My goal for this project is to add the same kind of diversity to other natural resources, and ultimately perhaps even to other parts of the game such as the villagers or animals (though for the moment I am absolutely clueless on how to do animations).

Any feedback or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Natural Diversity - stiles - 03-03-2017

if you figure out the animations of this game ,please post it. the other modders would like to have that info. noone has made much sence of that part of the coding.

Natural Diversity - Necora - 03-03-2017

Hey <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="11115" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/">@Bartender</a> you seem like a fun guy. (sorry, had to). I like the models, the vanilla mushroom is pretty bad imo. I added chanterelles in my mod, not as detailed as yours though!

One question, have you tried making these as natural resources yet or are they just decorations at the moment? The reason I ask is that I could not get the variants to appear as natural resources that are spawned by a tree set. Only the first mesh in the list would show up, and all instances would be the same. In my case, I had a beaver lodge, a coyote, some nests etc., in the same natural resource template, but only the beaver lodge (1st mesh in the list) would show, none of the rest, so I just had beaver lodges everywhere. I know you can get tree variants to show up, but not so sure about others.

Interested to see if you can do it.

Cheers

Natural Diversity - Paeng - 03-03-2017

Quote:
2 hours ago, Bartender said:

the first part of this adventure, which I have dubbed Fungiversity

Cool, I hope you can make them work as expected... would make a nice detail  [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/58462f70003fe_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic553.png[/img]

It took me some fiddling with the code to figure out how to correctly add the other meshes in the template, but I managed to get them functioning in the game. My code looks like this:

Code:
ModelDescription model
{
    MeshGroup _meshes
    [
        { GraphicsMesh _mesh [ "Models\NaturalResource\Herbs\Mushroom1aMesh.rsc" ] }
        { GraphicsMesh _mesh [ "Models\NaturalResource\Herbs\Mushroom1bMesh.rsc" ] }
        { GraphicsMesh _mesh [ "Models\NaturalResource\Herbs\Mushroom1cMesh.rsc" ] }
        { GraphicsMesh _mesh [ "Models\NaturalResource\Herbs\Mushroom2aMesh.rsc" ] }
        { GraphicsMesh _mesh [ "Models\NaturalResource\Herbs\Mushroom2bMesh.rsc" ] }
        { GraphicsMesh _mesh [ "Models\NaturalResource\Herbs\Mushroom2cMesh.rsc" ] }
        { GraphicsMesh _mesh [ "Models\NaturalResource\Herbs\Mushroom3aMesh.rsc" ] }
        { GraphicsMesh _mesh [ "Models\NaturalResource\Herbs\Mushroom3bMesh.rsc" ] }
        { GraphicsMesh _mesh [ "Models\NaturalResource\Herbs\Mushroom3cMesh.rsc" ] }
        { GraphicsMesh _mesh [ "Models\NaturalResource\Herbs\Mushroom4aMesh.rsc" ] }
        { GraphicsMesh _mesh [ "Models\NaturalResource\Herbs\Mushroom4bMesh.rsc" ] }
        { GraphicsMesh _mesh [ "Models\NaturalResource\Herbs\Mushroom4cMesh.rsc" ] }
    ]
    int _displayIndex = 0;
    int _subIndex = 0;    
    bool _randomIndex = true;
}

This has worked for every type of Natural Resource I've tried so far, and I even managed to get the white chicken example as a mesh variant for the normal chicken in this way. I haven't yet tested if there is any hard limit to the number of meshes that can be loaded like this, but I don't assume there is.

As for animations, I have looked a bit into the example files, but it seems rather confusing to me. What I meant in my original post was that I don't have any experience with animating models myself at all, so I'm not expecting myself to figure it out if others didn't manage.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="11115" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/">@Bartender</a> and it worked? that is cool. 

I tried it like the NaturalResourceTree.rsc template file because I couldn't see another natural resource that had variations. The tree file is as such...

Quote:

ModelDescription model

{

MeshGroup _meshes

[

{ 

AnimationGroup _animations = "Models\NaturalResource\Tree\TreeAnims.rsc";

GraphicsMesh _mesh 

[ 

"Models\NaturalResource\Tree\PineTreeMesh01.rsc" 

"Models\NaturalResource\Tree\PineTreeMesh02.rsc" 

"Models\NaturalResource\Tree\PineTreeMesh03.rsc" 

"Models\NaturalResource\Tree\PineTreeMesh04.rsc" 

] 

}

{ 

GraphicsMesh _mesh 

[ 

"Models\NaturalResource\Tree\BirchTreeMesh01.rsc" 

"Models\NaturalResource\Tree\BirchTreeMesh02.rsc" 

"Models\NaturalResource\Tree\BirchTreeMesh03.rsc" 

"Models\NaturalResource\Tree\BirchTreeMesh04.rsc" 

] 

}

{ 

GraphicsMesh _mesh 

[ 

"Models\NaturalResource\Tree\OakTreeMesh.rsc" 

] 

}

]

int _displayIndex = 0;

int _subIndex = 0;    

bool _randomIndex = false;

}

There seems to be a variants within graphicsmesh for each tree type, so I tried that for natural resource, but that doesn't work. It is great if it works having a graphics mesh group for each variant. I'll try that later.

If that works, it really helps me add the trapper items onto the map with great diversity (here come bears!)

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> Yea initially I tried it in that way as well, but that indeed doesn't work. I just checked, and what I showed is the way it is done in the Rock and Ore templates, that's where I got it from.

Natural Diversity - QueryEverything - 03-03-2017

Quote:
10 hours ago, Bartender said:

While I'm in the process of learning how to make mods for Banished, I've embarked on a project to increase the diversity in the game's natural environment. As a biologist, I feel that this is a department in which the game is lacking. Most natural resources have only one mesh, even if in reality they would come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes.

For now, I would like to showcase the first part of this adventure, which I have dubbed Fungiversity. It incorporates 3 new types of mushrooms, and a replacement for the original fungus. All 4 types come in a one, two and three shroom variant, adding up to a total of 12 meshes. As they are simply variants, they all give the same 'mushroom' raw material when harvested.

<a data-fileid="1445" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_03/Fungiversity.png.e26f1b6700c7cd48945da84956c4f591.png" title="Enlarge image">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_03/Fungiversity.png.e26f1b6700c7cd48945da84956c4f591.png[/img]</a>

My goal for this project is to add the same kind of diversity to other natural resources, and ultimately perhaps even to other parts of the game such as the villagers or animals (though for the moment I am absolutely clueless on how to do animations).

Any feedback or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Wow, I applaud you <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="11115" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/">@Bartender</a> on your amazingly fun(gus) addition, congrats [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />  I like it!!

Quote:
7 hours ago, Necora said:

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="11115" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/">@Bartender</a> and it worked? that is cool. 

I tried it like the NaturalResourceTree.rsc template file because I couldn't see another natural resource that had variations. The tree file is as such...

There seems to be a variants within graphicsmesh for each tree type, so I tried that for natural resource, but that doesn't work. It is great if it works having a graphics mesh group for each variant. I'll try that later.

If that works, it really helps me add the trapper items onto the map with great diversity (here come bears!)

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> You said what now?  Bears, oh my ....  now for lions and tigers [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />

Bad joke, I know [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />  Seriously though, bears?  Ohhhhh myyyyyyyyyy [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9529-queryeverything/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9529" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9529-queryeverything/">@QueryEverything</a> well I wasn't going to because I didn't want static animals, but then I thought to hell with it, why not for fun.

Natural Diversity - QueryEverything - 03-03-2017

If you can, then why not eh?  Would go well with your Forestry mods and <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3183-ketchup/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3183" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3183-ketchup/">@Ketchup</a> watchtower mods, which produce bear products [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />  Win/Win I'd say <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />