Natural Diversity

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="11115" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/">@Bartender</a> if you're not happy with modelling those buildings, might I be presumptious and suggest a collaboration with one of the other modders to make them using your grasses and reeds?

But to be completely blunt, I don't think it's necessary for a grass or reed hut to be particularly sophisticated, if it looks a little "rough" that will probably just make it look all the more lived in!

Thank you for your response <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="11115" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/">@Bartender</a> [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />  Your customer service skills are excellent [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

I have concidered that indeed <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="314" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/">@KevinTheCynic</a>, though at the same time I'm a bit reluctant to start a collaboration on this. I'm a rather extreme perfectionist, so I would likely end up driving the other person crazy fuzzing about tiny little details in their work [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/tongue.png[/img]/emoticons/tongue@2x.png 2x" title=":P" width="20" />.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9529-queryeverything/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9529" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9529-queryeverything/">@QueryEverything</a> Haha, thanks! I guess I should start thinking about monetizing this project then [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />..

Quote:
20 hours ago, KevinTheCynic said:

But to be completely blunt, I don't think it's necessary for a grass or reed hut to be particularly sophisticated, if it looks a little "rough" that will probably just make it look all the more lived in!

It is actually much easier (for me at least) to make sharp, crisp, new buildings. Making them rough and ready while keeping the polys down is really tricky, and takes a lot of effort/skill in texturing. There are a lot of new buildings in the latest <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> which are a master class in this. 

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> ah yes, I should have realized that from all the trouble that came with making the trees!

Quote:
On 24/4/2017 at 3:48 AM, Necora said:

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/12323-despo20/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="12323" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/12323-despo20/">@despo20</a> if you're gonna do that one... how about make it small and compatible with the new river decoration set... it would be really cool to have a mill for that set! If it was made to sit in a -0.25m or -0.50m setting, you could style a mill pond behind it and have it empty eventually into a stream or river.

It's a good idea! I'll do my best

Quote:
On 24/4/2017 at 3:14 PM, Bartender said:

You are absolutely welcome to use it ofcourse! You will need some files from my mod to get the thatch to work, so let me know when you're ready for it [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />.

Certainly! [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/58462f70003fe_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic553.png[/img]

Quote:
4 hours ago, Bartender said:

I have concidered that indeed <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="314" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/">@KevinTheCynic</a>, though at the same time I'm a bit reluctant to start a collaboration on this. I'm a rather extreme perfectionist, so I would likely end up driving the other person crazy fuzzing about tiny little details in their work [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/tongue.png[/img]/emoticons/tongue@2x.png 2x" title=":P" width="20" />.

I'm also a perfectionist, so a collaboration can be possible. Maybe in some time.

However ask if you need help [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />

Another week has passed, so it's time for sneak peek #3!

This week I have worked on quite a few different things, mainly consisting of bits and pieces for several ideas. Coincidentally there is a recurring theme though.. water! I guess <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> inspired me with his wonderful riffle mod!

Firstly, the reeds of last week received an upgrade (they now have leaves), and I started work on the first variant. This one is a Phragmites australis, a widespread species which is commonly used for thatching.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" data-fileid="2207" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_04/Reeds2.png.237ccdd296ff3472163d5ba93be4ef42.png">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_04/Reeds2.thumb.png.1e0ad69fa4521dd8aa920b91356a5b46.png[/img]</a>

Secondly, I have been looking at other ways to improve the natural look of the rivers. I am currently testing the automatic spawning of rocks on the riverbed. These are decorative only, the bannies can't reach them, and they don't block the construction of bridges or semi-aquatic buildings. The current meshes were not intended to be water rocks, so if you think they look a bit weird then we are in agreement. Just see these screens as a 'proof of concept' ;). I intend to make other meshes that are flatter, as the erroding power of the water would make them.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" data-fileid="2208" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_04/WaterRocks.png.fa72cde2ce4a3b22f5317ca79a357a44.png">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_04/WaterRocks.thumb.png.d60a7d9efc412033980c5b255b6d7a73.png[/img]</a><a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" data-fileid="2209" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_04/WaterRocksBridge.png.bc7be710f03dfd862f529fc4052be65f.png">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_04/WaterRocksBridge.thumb.png.ec4fefea6f807aa22d0f67311c32030b.png[/img]</a>

Thirdly, the plans for the thatch production chain are taking shape nicely, and it's definitely going to be included in the next version of the mod. I will share more information on how the chain is going to work exactly once there is something to show [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />.

And then, last but most certainly not least, I have made a very exciting discovery yesterday evening. While I was testing an idea for one of the buildings of the production chain, I created something that I didn't even think would actually be possible. I made a little video of it being placed, just to prove that this is not a late April fools joke [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/tongue.png[/img]/emoticons/tongue@2x.png 2x" title=":P" width="20" />.

https://webmshare.com/play/rZw9D

Indeed, it is a placeable pool of water! It looks exactly like the normal water, though ofcourse it is entirely decorational. I have not yet tested if this could be used to make custom rivers and such, but theoretically it should be possible. I will have to play around a bit to see if I can make connecting pieces.

If I manage to create such a 'custom water tool' it will not be a part of Natural Diversity though, as it wouldn't fit within the focus of this mod. I'm thinking about adding it to the decoration pack that I promised, or just making it a separate mod all together.

That's it for this week, please share any thoughts or ideas [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />!

I knew if you went down far enough then water appeared, but how did you get the nice sloping bank and round shape? i tried to do this for a hill but it just raised the whole square... although I didn't try very hard.

wow, excellent <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="11115" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/">@Bartender</a>

Thanks!

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> Actually the water doesn't appear by itself, only if you would lower the ground very close to an existing river or lake. I had to adapt the RiverMaterial.srsl to be able to create it manually, the mesh is just a plane. For the sloping bank I used a floor mesh like the quarry does. Then I used the decal to make it show the right terrain under the water.