Natural Diversity

Quote:
52 minutes ago, elemental said:

So a collaborative wild plants set might be an option in the future, now that more modders are adding plants.

I was actually thinking that myself earlier. It would be an interesting concept, like a mega mod of natural resources. The only problem though is that there are so many at the moment, the map would just be stacked full of resources and it might blow the game in terms of making it super rich in foods etc. On the other hand, if it can be balanced well then it would be an awesome addition to the game. In either case, it sure would be beautiful. I want to figure out this shore and hill spawning stuff, because I would love to add more vegetation to the shore line like weeds, reeds, animals, and things. I think there were water lillys over at WOB but I never found out if they are decorations or spawned.

A few different versions might be one way to go. But of course that means more work and deciding which plants get put into which version, and it would also be a little bit more confusing for players.

Quote:
1 hour ago, elemental said:

So a collaborative wild plants set might be an option in the future, now that more modders are adding plants.

This is a winner [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

I love <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> trees and his other resources, but, this Natural Diversity is also a winner.

I wonder if a mini-<abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr> could be made from all these new start conditions?

Perhaps in the <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> "All the Wild Things", a similar "All the Things, ever", could be made with all these new start condition ideas, as well as the animals etc.

Ideas ... ideas ... ideas ... 

never modify a file in your modkit/resource/folder but always make a copy inside yout modkit/newmod/folder and modify those ones.

personally i never never work with the toolkit exe.... always developper edition

Thanks for the help <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3183-ketchup/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3183" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3183-ketchup/">@Ketchup</a>! I had used the /onlypkg command when I tested it, so from what I understand it should ignore anything in the resource folder then. I had made everything in a separate folder as well to prevent exactly this problem, so luckily this wasn't the issue. In the end it turned out that the error was in my own stupidity (as it often is); I had the brilliant idea to change the filename to something with periods and underscores before copying it to the directory of my steam version. Apparently the game doesn't like that. Mystery solved!

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/2413-elemental/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="2413" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/2413-elemental/">@elemental</a> A mod combining different improvements to the natural world sounds like a wonderful thing! It would indeed need some though as to how to implement it correctly, but it would definitely be worth looking into.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3183-ketchup/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3183" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3183-ketchup/">@Ketchup</a> What is the difference between the exe that is in the toolkit and the 'developer edition'? And where would I get the latter?

This is an official announcement from Bartender Softwares: The Natural Diversity v1.0 Beta is now available for download! It can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yzyf10vmffrnd4...v.pkm?dl=0

As this is a beta, things are not perfect. There will be bugs. There will be conflicts with other mods. There will be hard drive failures. I'm joking about one of these.

Furthermore, as this is a beta, any feedback and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Anything you have to say about it is welcome, though I'm specifically looking for feedback on spawn rates of the natural resources, aesthetic appeal of the new models and gameplay potential of the mod as a whole.

Lastly, a big, big thanks to all of you for being such a supportive, helpful and universally great bunch of people!

Natural Diversity Beta release notes:

Natural Diversity is my attempt to make the world of banished resemble real nature more closely. I try to achieve this by increasing the realism of existing elements of the game, and by introducing new elements that I feel are lacking. This first version of the mod is only the start, and deals only with some aspects of the game’s natural environment. My plan is to continue development, and cover the other parts in future updates.

Usage details

• This mod will require a new game in order to work.

• Load this mod above any other mods that alter start conditions, such as <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> (more info on load orders will follow after Beta)

• Currently this mod is likely not to be compatible with any alternative starting conditions introduced by other mods. Doing so might lead to severe gameplay restrictions, such as the inability to construct many of the game's core buildings.

<b><b><span style="line-height:107%;">Future plans</b>

As mentioned before, I intend to continue development on this mod, reworking other aspects of banished’s natural world and introducing more variety. Some ideas for this include reeds growing on the river banks, and an update to rocks and ores. Other suggestions are always welcome! 

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="11115" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/">@Bartender</a>, well done!  Looks amazing, I am downloading now.

A couple of things to consider listing in the details section:

1)  Where to place the mod in the load order.  Above/Below <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> (I am assuming above)

2)  That it will only affect new maps, a new game will be needed (you did mention it, but it helps to list it at least twice some days [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" /> )

3)  That it will/won't work other start conditions (especially for those that haven't read this thread, or realise that it won't), so using it only with Banished Vanilla starters

Other than that, excellent write up, and I'm very eager to go off and try [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />  

Mild & Easy here I come, hehe

Thanks! These are good points, I added them to the release notes.

Looking good, downloading now... will give a desaster report in a while [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/ph34r.png[/img]/emoticons/ph34r@2x.png 2x" title=":ph34r:" width="20" /> .... j/k  [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/laugh.png[/img]/emoticons/laugh@2x.png 2x" title="xD" width="20" />