Natural Diversity

we cant take too much attention about the name "berries" because in english , everything has the name berries in it... but they are really totally different things.

in french they are : fraises, framboises, mures, bluets...... and all in their names are totally different spelling.

in english everything is "berries" ^^ "straw"berries,  "rasp"berries, "black"berries, "blue"berries..... ^^

You guys are all quite right, thank you for the suggestions!

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> I'll see what I can do on the Chanterelles, If I can pull of an acceptable mesh for it they would be a nice addition to the Fungiversity!

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8298-stiles/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="8298" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8298-stiles/">@stiles</a> The game indeed refers to the blueberries as just 'berries', so if I were to add other types this would have to be changed. It wouldn't pose any problems as long as I make sure to distinguish between them correctly.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3183-ketchup/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3183" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3183-ketchup/">@Ketchup</a> Indeed, we have the same distinctions in Dutch. Most of what is commonly refered to as a 'berry' in English is actually not even a real berry in the botanical sense. Blueberries are, but strawberries and blackberries for example are not. Inversely, tomatoes and eggplants are commonly refered to as vegetables, while botanicaly they are berries, and thus fruits.

I will give this berry conundrum some thought, though for the moment you have convinced me that specifically naming all the different types might be the best way.

wont distinguishing between multiple berries break some of the production chains? they need "berries" after all...

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/10211-jesta/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="10211" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/10211-jesta/">@jesta</a> no because the file for 'Berries' is RawMaterialBlueberry.rsc, just for some reason Luke named them berries in string table for the consumption selection menu for the tavern etc. Who knows why, but as far as the game is concerned they are blueberries. There are many really annoying naming issues under the hood. Logs are an example, the string for the resource is 'logs' yet the template file is 'RawMaterialWood'. It uses the wood storage flag but he logs limit. Why could it not be all called wood or logs?!?!?

alright, that IS rediculous. i dont think you answered my question though: new kinds of berries wont be usable in those recipes. or am i wrong? i really havent looked into that part of modding banished and should probably leave it to the experts... [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

It is true that other berry types would not be able to use the same recipes, they would need separate ones.

And indeed, the coding seems a bit messy in some places from what I've seen so far. I guess Luke never really considered the possibility that other people were going to have a look at it.

depends how you set up your natural resource files. if you point toward the same raw material, they will produce the same thing.

i like the idea of consolidating all the berry fruits into just berry overall. it would make the menus less cluttered . if it didn't mean changing and rewriting all the codes for <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> and other mods, it would be a good idea. we pick strawberry,rasberry,blue/black,etc but they could all work as berry. then the preservist would use any berry to make jams. way it is now,we have to manually tell the building which berry to use. if it runs out of blueberry, it stops working until we change which berry it is to use. happens with yogurt,bakeries,etc. however i don't think a berry can be coded to be universal and used as any berry. the only fix i see would be to recode everything which isn't practical. we need more limits and flags already. lol

would be nice if the game did allow this though. like make stew=1 meat +2 vegetables= whatever meat the banis have they throw into pot and add what vegetables they have to it. sadly we have to manually tell them which foods to put in the pot. interesting idea but i think we are too late to the party on this 1.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/10211-jesta/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="10211" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/10211-jesta/">@jesta</a> ah I think I mis-interpreted your question and so answered something different haha. Thankfully other more observant souls have answered it properly. So only something called 'RawMaterialBlueberry' will work in current (vanilla) recipes. Any more berries will need new recipes added to them. But IMO, variation of raw materials is fantastic, and it is not hard to add recipes to existing buildings. I personally like the variation in raw materials, but then generic secondary or tertiary products. So I want cider, and I want to be able to make it out of pears, apples, blueberries, raspberries, but I just want it to produce cider, I don't see the point in also having apple cider, pear cider etc. that will be too much. I've added a few mushrooms and berries and things. I think it makes the game more interesting and you can tailor the natural environment and resources to certain regions (such as maritimes) if you want. 

'm not drinking with NECORA if he adds mushrooms to his cider. yukk