Natural Diversity

Here's a little sneak peek at what I've been working on so far concerning the Herbiversity:

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_03/Herbiversity.png.871d138cb156137ec54f3d0254beaf1d.png[/img]

So far I've got dandelions (flowering and seedbearing), Mint (non-flowering) and a fern. Main additions still on my list are more Lamiaceae (Thyme, Oregano, lavender) and Asteraceae (Chamomile, Echinacea), but I'm also open to suggestions.

I will probably make a whole bunch of different medicinal plants and then see which combination works best. I feel that it's important that there is no confusion as to what meshes might give what resource, which could become a problem if I also do a Rootiversity and don't make a clear distinction between the meshes for both. I'm thinking I might go for flowering plants only for the herbs.

Quote:
16 minutes ago, Bartender said:

I feel that it's important that there is no confusion as to what meshes might give what resource, which could become a problem if I also do a Rootiversity and don't make a clear distinction between the meshes for both. I'm thinking I might go for flowering plants only for the herbs.

Amazing!!! [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/ohmy.png[/img]/emoticons/ohmy@2x.png 2x" title=":o" width="20" />[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/ohmy.png[/img]/emoticons/ohmy@2x.png 2x" title=":o" width="20" />[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/ohmy.png[/img]/emoticons/ohmy@2x.png 2x" title=":o" width="20" />

I agree with you. Flowering plants only for the herbs can be a good solution [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/58462f70003fe_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic553.png[/img]

These look beautiful. Flowering herbs or non-flowering... either way is good.

without changing the game functions, how hard will it be to override the way the various vanilla plants look? is it a matter of just changing some graphic files?? curious to hear how you plan to dd these to the game. is your plan to continue and redo all plants???

off topic, but I found some gorgeous little daffodils here the other day [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />  Little bright buds of joy [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

Keep up the fab work <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="11115" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/">@Bartender</a>

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8298-stiles/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="8298" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8298-stiles/">@stiles</a> it is the same as changing the trees, very easy to do, you just redirect the modt kit at a certain time to look for your models rather than vanilla ones. For example, for herbs, the NaturalResourceHerb file has a list of model files (actually, only one) so you make a copy of this, put it in a mod, change the list to your models, and keep the name the same. Then when the game loads it, it will over write the same name file in the game and show your new models instead of the vanilla ones.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="11115" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/">@Bartender</a> they are awesome models. How did you get the texturing and how many polys does each one have?

Quote:
4 hours ago, Necora said:

they are awesome models. How did you get the texturing and how many polys does each one have?

i am curious too

Thanks for all the kind words!

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8298-stiles/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="8298" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8298-stiles/">@stiles</a> It is indeed as Necora says, nothing more complicated than adding one line of code per mesh into the template. I already have all of these working ingame.

I'm currently only focusing on those area's where I feel that there is a lack of diversity, which are mainly the wild growing resources. I don't plan on replacing the trees or the crops for example. I will be looking at other ways to improve the natural feel of the environment though, so I'm not excluding anything either.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3183-ketchup/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3183" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3183-ketchup/">@Ketchup</a> For the most part I get the textures from photographs of flowers, leaves and stem, which I then cut out, polish and simplify. For common plants such as these it's pretty easy to find free pictures to use.

As for the polys, I managed to keep most of them under 200, which I guess should be more than ok. The only ones that are perhaps a bit steep are the seedbearing dandelions, as I used two spheres to make each flowerhead. The 3-head variant has over a 1000. How many polys would you guys say is too much for a mesh like this?

personally i find it very hard to keep them under the 1000 poly ^^

but there is 2 things i dont know how to do ...

and i am waiting and hoping <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="4" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/">@ShockPuppet</a> comeback in here because i think he knows and me i really need to learn :

how to make things "swing" with the wind....

and how to make them lose their leaves in winter (and changing colors in spring/autumn would be great too)

the things is 2 years ago , before i start to make mods... i had 0 knowledge of 3D, really absolutely no knowleadge at at.

so i never had teaching lessons in 3D design.

Nice work <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="11115" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/">@Bartender</a>! I think you can get the poly count down by using semi transparent textures instead of modelling the whole leaf. Check these links:

http://blackliquidsoftware.com/index.php?/topic/1024-texture-transparency/

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=1184.0

And one more thing: I also want <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="4" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/">@ShockPuppet</a> to tell us how to make plants look different in winter!