Anyone else this crazy?

Yes, I have tried that, my last game I had that Nomad Well and the Mission Church. At a poulation of 400 or so the well would attract up to 60-70 or more nomads which would completely cripple me on food and resources but the Mission Church at the same time would attract only 12- 20 nomads which I could more reasonably accomadate. I found the Mission Church very useful but the Nomad Well- I would always see them filing into town and thought no- not enough food or houses for these mob.

I dunno, I must be a "the more the merrier" type. I start medium mostly, sometimes even easy! And I invite people asap. And I build excess houses so they fill up quickly. My biggest challenge is often how to feed the population explosion after I have them build 10-20 houses.

Plus I confess, after food and fuel are (pretty much) stable, I run on 5x or 10x speed. I enabled 'proper time' mod once and was just about bored outta my mind....

I love happy folks and pretty neighborhoods (gazebo!), and I love new starts. i play up to around 800-1200 people, then move on to the next map.

[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_05/592399d9247c2_Application-steam-x642017-04-1200-46-57-441.thumb.jpg.4fd4e419c2401eb862f75a6d47c757ff.jpg[/img]

I always start Adam & Eve and build a school to educate the first born children. It takes micromanaging like crazy to keep enough food/wood/clothes/tools, but it's nice to have the buildings up and running and as the kids get old enough to work they have their workplaces all ready to go for them. 

I never take on nomads, but what would encourage me to do so is the notion that the population, once exposed to a new nomad brought in disease and it's defeated the whole population has a resistance to that particular disease, to make it less likely to spread the way it did the first time. 

This is how I always play [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Quote:
On 6/18/2017 at 1:19 AM, Bro said:

I never take on nomads, but what would encourage me to do so is the notion that the population, once exposed to a new nomad brought in disease and it's defeated the whole population has a resistance to that particular disease, to make it less likely to spread the way it did the first time. 

I used to never take on nomads for this particular reason, and then a disease popped up anyway so I thought- bugger it, I'll just look at dealing with the disease and take the nomads. I have a town of 1200 and only 1 hospital. I have always taken on nomads in this town and never had a problem. The hospital is central but isolated on an island with only one entrance. Nobody ever goes there apart from the physician and the sick people (and the occasional playing child) so when the disease periodically infects those nearby, there is usually nobody nearby. In this town I have never had more than 6 people sick at the same time. In contrast the other towns I have built I have had several hospitals in busy areas around the town and had an epidemic of up to 60 sick and 20 dying -all infected by walking near the hospital.

Trading Posts also can spawn diseases too - apparently brought in by the merchants.  I haven't had a serious epidemic in a long time even though I take in Nomads. Maybe it's because I keep my population healthy?