How does the Wild Shepherd work?

I had one yesterday that found 8, but since they have to walk all over the entire map to find them, it takes a loooooong time. 

Again all they do is gather resources like a laborer the guy didn't actually do anything that his job told him to do

Quote:
1 hour ago, jjones_50 said:

i set it on x10 for 20 minutes walked away and still didn't have a single animal.

i have wondered about this too, as it seems to vary a lot whether you get/find domesticated animals. now i think it is kinda map-related. what you have a lot of and what you have trouble with is random, like what animal you get for pastures and what crops are your best performing defaults.

once i stumbled on a map that was almost overrun with domesticated animals (DA), they just appeared when i cleared land for anything... and i was NOT playing Where The Wild Things Are, it was just a DA-plentiful map (seed #82).

on other maps, even when i built 5 or 6 Stables and grew acres and acres of feed for them (truly a grain suck) i ended up with maybe 10 or 15 DA per season.   [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]/emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" title=":(" width="20" />

and yes, i only knew what the huge square crates were, because i used to play Zoo Tycoon.   [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_04/DA1.thumb.JPG.0fbcd0b3bcca573485b40ad627853c8b.JPG[/img]

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_04/DA2.thumb.JPG.018b20e981527a87737f69b6d0d1f83f.JPG[/img]

I seen a crate before but I only have small barns and and the largest market built, do they need a certain storage building?

My barns are from medieval 2.04 and my market is from <abbr title="Colonial Charter">cc</abbr>

Quote:
4 minutes ago, jjones_50 said:

do they need a certain storage building?

probably? i think their flags have changed. they used to be 'Dry Goods' which now (with <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> Journey 1.75) is separated out to a lot of stuff I haven't quite figured out yet: Precious, Crafted, Misc, etc.

i have a learning curve about how they all work; i'm just getting started. my own issue is that my native monument worker finds artifacts and delivers them to the 'Precious Barn' but i cannot get them back out. even to demolish the building, they won't budge (and the building won't demolish). i really want artifacts for trade, 2500 is a lot of trade value!

some suggestions i saw include 'build every type of storage you have, since the new flags may place certain items differently.' but this didn't help my trapped artifacts, so i tried my own workaround: my solution in the short term is to draw one each of every possible stockpile, and only use 'Magazine' for storage buildings (as soon as i can afford to build it.) now the market staffs manage their inventories to serve their neighborhoods, and trade posts can load and trade artifacts, yay!

Domesticated animals are (invisibly) spawned on a map when it is created, much like the trees and rocks. So they will only be spawned on a <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> map, since other mods don't know what they are.

There should only be a handful on the map, and since they are invisible, it's a little hard to figure out where to place your wild shepherd sometimes.

do wild shepherds run around collecting resources like laborers?

Only if they can't find any Domesticated Animals to harvest. Then they do like any other worker that doesn't have work to do and act as a laborer.

if that happens does that mean you need to build the wild shepherd in another location or they will eventually find a spot and "work"

I never did any long term testing (I never do :P) but I would wager that if the Wild Shepherd has any animals to pick in it's area, it will do that, and then become a laborer. If he's acting like a laborer, then he's probably exhausted the area, if there were ever any there.