How does the Wild Shepherd work?

I built one and assigned a worker and all he does is pick up resources.

I increased the Misc to be above 0 as I have another issue with the resources wanting to load in at 0 everytime I open the game and the game errors out when editing the new resources half the time. But even leaving the wild shepherd at work for a year I don't see any work items

On <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> maps, there are a dozen+ hidden (invisible) Domesticated Animals. When you clear an area, you may find some which will be gathered by laborers and put into a barn.  Alternately, you can build a Wild Shepherd who will search for Domesticated Animals. When they've all been found, you can either destroy the building or turn it into a regular gatherer.  Odd that no DAs are being found.  However, you are having other issues too. Are you using the most recent Banished 1.0.7 beta and <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> 1.75?  Any other mods?  Be especially sure you have no other <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> running.

Only <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> 1.75, Medieval 2.04, and 1 year is 1 year

And which version of Banished are you using?  <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> 1.75 only works with Banished 1.0.7 beta.  

Note that Medieval 2.04 hasn't been updated for 1.0.7 beta yet; IF you are using Banished 1.0.7, try playing without Medieval Town and see if you still have problems. 

Do they normally just run around and act like laborers picking up resources?

Not really; he runs around like a Gatherer, picking up Domesticated Animals.

I saw a big square box once then it was gone but I never got a domesticed animal in my barn or anywhere but my gatherer just gathers resources like trees and stone like a laborer

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3842-jjones_50/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3842" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3842-jjones_50/">@jjones_50</a> some times I notice this too, with other resources. I have no idea why it happens, but when I introduced my wild animals for furs and pelts, I was getting very few. I would watch a bannie hack at it yet produce nothing. One thing I did see that helped was to make sure you have a storage barn that will accept the domesticated animal. For some reason, the vanilla storage barn  that is spawned at the start didn't seem to accept my wild animal resource (even though it should) and as soon as I built a small custom barn they were harvested just fine.

They work slowly, but you only need 2 Domesticated Animals to build a stable and start making your own.

Bootstrap yourself early in the game with those and you'll be swimming in them by mid-game.  Powerful trading empires can be built this way.

Just make sure you have the crops to feed them.

i set it on x10 for 20 minutes walked away and still didn't have a single animal.