So, I am kind of new here. Quick ?

Hi <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/16867-mesu/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="16867" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/16867-mesu/">@Mesu</a> & welcome [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

The Steam workshop does not have the newest files, as the game is in a status of being upgraded by the developer, so the modders here can't upload to Steam, the newest mods.

This means, that if you have Banished version 1.0.6 then the 2 mods on Steam: <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> 1.71 & <abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr> 0.06 are the correct versions, for your game version.

If you are running Banished 1.0.7 then you will need to manually add the mods to your game folders.  

I have added a couple of screenshots to help you out. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Firstly, what Banished version are you running?  You can see in this screenshot the highlighted (in pink) area down the bottom, that has the version details.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_06/592fe330770fd_banishedversiondetails.jpg.b7603591205f4a2a4901870252772f32.jpg" data-fileid="2534">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_06/592fe330a6d90_banishedversiondetails.thumb.jpg.29f1b5fa39c2c5834bb748ab602de5d5.jpg[/img]</a>

Secondly, you need to load the mods that you download from here into your Steamapps game directory - not the Banished folder in your 'Documents' folder

See below for the file path (mine is on D drive as that's where I installed Steam

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_06/592fe3a9313ef_installlocation.jpg.67b19f9655184bc42441db4e98eb405b.jpg[/img]

Thirdly, you want to make sure that you are installing the .PKM files, so modders zip their mods into zip or rar files, you want to make sure if you have either of the 2, you unpack them into a blank folder, then move them (I create copies) to the Banished/WinData folder in your steamapps directory.

In my screenshot you will see both .SUB files and .PKM files

The SUB files are what connect your mods to Steam and keep them updated, when you Subscribe to them via the Steam Workshop.

The .PKM files are the mod files, those that you add to your game.

If you see any .PKG files, these are normal - these are files that the games uses to update with, when you get updates for the core game, this is what you download

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_06/592fe41b18748_installfolderfilespkmsub.jpg.fab39015b18cb5fcb36c65e5b0f5db40.jpg[/img]

A note about installing mods

When installing mods, you need to have a little bit of patience as you will need to restart the game a couple of times, following these steps will hopefully make it less painful for you though. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

1. Make sure Banished is completely closed, make sure you EXIT it completely

2. Open your WinData folder (as above), and leave that folder open

3. Copy only the .PKM files of the mods you have downloaded, you can install them all at once, that's ok 

4. Once they are copied in fully, LOAD Banished

5. Navigate to the menu, open the Mods menu

6. ENABLE all the mods you have installed into the game, in this example, the <abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr> & <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> updates (if you are using Banished 1.0.7 only)

7. Move them into their correct order - the newest <abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr> & <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> needed to be listed in an exact manner for them to run correctly.

Other mods can be installed above or below them, most modders list their preferred load order, but if you have specific mods you use you can ask how to load them if you are in doubt

8. **Important** Once you have adjusted the mods, and moved them into their correct load order, you must click OK

9. Wait for Banished to 'reload', ingame then 

10. **Important** Exit Banished completely, you need to close it fully

11. Load Banished, create a new map and play on

Whilst the game does state that it is reloading the game whilst it's open, it doesn't correctly write to the registry, and it will cause crashes when it's time to save a new map after loading up new mods.  Unfortunately, it's just something that happens, so it's now just quicker to make sure that you exit fully between each new mod installation.

You can load quite a few mods at a time this way, you don't need to restart between each individual load, ie:  loading 4 mods in 1 day, you can do them at the same time

But you must exit & restart on each time a file is added.

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_06/592fe67c5a1dc_120170513dSUpBLMM.jpg.8c26672aeeb42189044b6ec86f1c582c.jpg[/img]

The most important thing:

Backup your folders first [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />  

Navigate to the Banished/WinData folder - copy the folder to another part of your harddrive (I have a special folder for all backups), and make sure you have it safe, that way if something does go wrong, then you have a way of restoring the folder. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Good luck, please let us know how you get on.

It's all good. I am running the latest version, and it's all squared away. Thank you for that long descriptive (yet informative) reply. : D

Quote:
7 hours ago, daroule1982 said:

It's all good. I am running the latest version, and it's all squared away. Thank you for that long descriptive (yet informative) reply. : D

Can take a gal out of a Call Centre, but can't take the Help Desk tech from her [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />  (20+ years in Management & Help Desk Tech work) ...  I like information, lol

I hope that <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/16867-mesu/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="16867" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/16867-mesu/">@Mesu</a> finds it helpful as well, they had similar questions. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Quote:
On 5/31/2017 at 5:44 PM, Mesu said:

Hello.

I'm completely new to this community, modding even the game itself which I just bought a few hours ago.

I'm only using the workshop available mods. I only see <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> 1.71 and <abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr> 0.06. I don't see any Compatability mod. 

I've never added mods outside of steam so I'm rather afraid of messing with the files and breaking things