Need help with Steam please

This is actually very interesting for another reason. This is a bit long so forgive me for the pre-amble but it's needed to provide some context because while <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/1648-tweety/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="1648" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/1648-tweety/">@tweety</a> doesns't seem to be having the problem that I am experiencing, I think they both originate from the same cause.

I had a new town that I had started in October this year then I stopped playing Banished for a few weeks because I started to play Cities: Skylines again as well as an entirely different game called Heliborne. Cities: Skylines would run fine but about a three days ago the town would get to a certain size and then the game would crash due to a remapping allocation error (can't remember specifics). This error was due to not having enough virtual memory (and Cities: Skylines is a glutton for RAM & virtual memory when you've stacked the mods in). Other games run without problems.

I checked my SSD (the main drive and the location of the virtual memory page file and it's also the location of my Banished saves in the Documents folder) and found that with all the mods I had crammed into a few games lately (the mod folders are in the Documents folder on C:) plus some major updates to games that I had installed onto C: (because it's SSD and the games run better on SSD) as well as a bunch of photos I am trying to edit, the drive now has only 6.6 Gig of 232 GB free. So I decided to switch to playing Banished because there were two new mods available and I wanted to try them. So I tried to run Banished yesterday after installing the new mods into WinData...

The game crashes before the main loading screen can complete. The error is specifically "A fatal access violation has occurred in Runtime-steam-x64.dll and the game cannot continue! A crash dump has been saved to E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Banished\crash.dmp"

So the situation is this, I have Steam installed on my secondary drive (E:) and that's were Banished is installed. However, Banished is saving it's games to the Documents folder on the main drive (C:). I have tried every one of the error fixes related to this sort of crash and the history of this particular crash shows that it happened most of the time back in the early days of the game for a variety of reasons, mostly in 2014 and 2015. I haven't seen any mention of this problem occurring during 2017 and I don't recall seeing any mention of Runtime errors associated with lack of drive space and I believe my particular problem with Banished is directly related to the lack of space on my main drive (for both the saved games and for virtual memory).

Now I am an average computer user, I know enough to not have to call a tech every time something goes wrong but I do not know for certain that this is the cause. Nothing else has changed except for adding two new mods and my main drive getting too full so at best I am making an educated guess that the lack of drive space is the problem. But I sure would be happy to hear from anyone who actually knows about this kind of thing so that I can figure out if it is the problem. I am going to try moving the save games to the E: drive and see what result I get.

Quote:
10 hours ago, KevinTheCynic said:

This is actually very interesting for another reason. This is a bit long so forgive me for the pre-amble but it's needed to provide some context because while <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/1648-tweety/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="1648" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/1648-tweety/">@tweety</a> doesns't seem to be having the problem that I am experiencing, I think they both originate from the same cause.

I had a new town that I had started in October this year then I stopped playing Banished for a few weeks because I started to play Cities: Skylines again as well as an entirely different game called Heliborne. Cities: Skylines would run fine but about a three days ago the town would get to a certain size and then the game would crash due to a remapping allocation error (can't remember specifics). This error was due to not having enough virtual memory (and Cities: Skylines is a glutton for RAM & virtual memory when you've stacked the mods in). Other games run without problems.

I checked my SSD (the main drive and the location of the virtual memory page file and it's also the location of my Banished saves in the Documents folder) and found that with all the mods I had crammed into a few games lately (the mod folders are in the Documents folder on C:) plus some major updates to games that I had installed onto C: (because it's SSD and the games run better on SSD) as well as a bunch of photos I am trying to edit, the drive now has only 6.6 Gig of 232 GB free. So I decided to switch to playing Banished because there were two new mods available and I wanted to try them. So I tried to run Banished yesterday after installing the new mods into WinData...

The game crashes before the main loading screen can complete. The error is specifically "A fatal access violation has occurred in Runtime-steam-x64.dll and the game cannot continue! A crash dump has been saved to E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Banished\crash.dmp"

So the situation is this, I have Steam installed on my secondary drive (E:) and that's were Banished is installed. However, Banished is saving it's games to the Documents folder on the main drive (C:). I have tried every one of the error fixes related to this sort of crash and the history of this particular crash shows that it happened most of the time back in the early days of the game for a variety of reasons, mostly in 2014 and 2015. I haven't seen any mention of this problem occurring during 2017 and I don't recall seeing any mention of Runtime errors associated with lack of drive space and I believe my particular problem with Banished is directly related to the lack of space on my main drive (for both the saved games and for virtual memory).

Now I am an average computer user, I know enough to not have to call a tech every time something goes wrong but I do not know for certain that this is the cause. Nothing else has changed except for adding two new mods and my main drive getting too full so at best I am making an educated guess that the lack of drive space is the problem. But I sure would be happy to hear from anyone who actually knows about this kind of thing so that I can figure out if it is the problem. I am going to try moving the save games to the E: drive and see what result I get.

Just as khemari  and I both figured out, you can very easily move your documents folder to the second hard drive. Works like a charm. I hope it works for you!  Of course if not enough RAM is the problem, then that's another thing to tackle...

[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" /> The problem I am facing now is that the second drive has too much on it as well so shifting items from one drive to the other is not able to be done. I need to get myself an external hard-drive so I can store everything on that! The most irritating part is that my computer is only about four years old and came with 16 Gb of RAM so I "assume" that I have plenty for the games I'm playing. Sometimes it's not about how much RAM you've got, sometimes it's about how the game designer makes the game use the RAM. I believe that games like Cities: Skylines try to load all their assets (e.g. mods) into RAM so it is particularly hungry for RAM and not particularly good at using it. I think Banished might work in the same way [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]/emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" title=":(" width="20" />

Once I can get some space clear on both hard-drives I intend to swap the Documents folder to the second drive. Knowing that all of you i.e. <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/1648-tweety/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="1648" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/1648-tweety/">@tweety</a>, <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11043-khemari/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="11043" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11043-khemari/">@khemari</a> and @estherhb's husband have successfully done this already is good to know [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

P.S. I don't know why I can't get estherhb's @ notification to work, worked fine for the other member's names, just not esther's [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wacko.png[/img]/emoticons/wacko@2x.png 2x" title=":S" width="20" />

Quote:
4 hours ago, KevinTheCynic said:

[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" /> The problem I am facing now is that the second drive has too much on it as well so shifting items from one drive to the other is not able to be done. I need to get myself an external hard-drive so I can store everything on that! The most irritating part is that my computer is only about four years old and came with 16 Gb of RAM so I "assume" that I have plenty for the games I'm playing. Sometimes it's not about how much RAM you've got, sometimes it's about how the game designer makes the game use the RAM. I believe that games like Cities: Skylines try to load all their assets (e.g. mods) into RAM so it is particularly hungry for RAM and not particularly good at using it. I think Banished might work in the same way [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]/emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" title=":(" width="20" />

Once I can get some space clear on both hard-drives I intend to swap the Documents folder to the second drive. Knowing that all of you i.e. <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/1648-tweety/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="1648" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/1648-tweety/">@tweety</a>, <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11043-khemari/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="11043" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11043-khemari/">@khemari</a> and @estherhb's husband have successfully done this already is good to know [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

P.S. I don't know why I can't get estherhb's @ notification to work, worked fine for the other member's names, just not esther's [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wacko.png[/img]/emoticons/wacko@2x.png 2x" title=":S" width="20" />

You could also just get a bigger 2nd hard drive, that would be easier (for me anyway [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" /> )

Well I seem to have tracked down my particular problem and it wasn't the hard-drive space... however it did make me clean out some junk from the drive so that's actually a good thing!

It looks as though when I was adding some new mods, I added an older (and no longer compatible) mod to my WinData folder when I transferred the group I actually wanted (I tend to highlight all the mods I want and transfer them all at the same time - a habit I think I've just been cured of). I also have a tendency to keep all the mods, including older versions or ones that are no longer compatible, in the same storage folder but I think I'll be transferring the oldest ones into some sort of archive from now on.