Need help with Steam please

So, I just bought a new computer that has 2 drives. The C drive has windows and is 128Gb, the D drive is a terabyte. I figured out how to install Steam to my D drive, which all went fine, but it is keeping my saves on my C drive in my documents folder. I can't find anyway to change where it will save games. I have some large Banished saves and don't want them on my C drive. Has anyone else ran into this and found a solution? Steam is useless for help!  And wow does Banished play way better now on my new computer!

thanks in advance!

So, someone on Reddit was kind enough to help me figure out how to use an mlink so that now my game can see and open my previous saves, but this does not take care of the problem of saved games taking up room on my C drive. Tons of people these days are buying computers with 2 drives now, C being the one that has windows on it and usually not a very large drive, so is there any way to create a mod for the game that will ask you where you want to store your saved games? It seems like this would be a great addition. And had I known any of this, I would have bought a larger C drive...

no the toolkit doesnt allow us to mod this change of where to store your saves. the toolkit is very limited to : make building, make resource, change texture here and there and thats pretty much. it is not a programming tool which would allow you to change the way the game is executing.

Quote:
7 hours ago, Ketchup said:

no the toolkit doesnt allow us to mod this change of where to store your saves. the toolkit is very limited to : make building, make resource, change texture here and there and thats pretty much. it is not a programming tool which would allow you to change the way the game is executing.

That's a shame....

@tweety - Have you presentedthis question to the Banished Discussion group on Steam?  If anyone knows, one of them should.  My husband has Steam and all of his saved games on his D drive - but that's where he installed it from the beginning.  It may be that if you reinstall Banish, you'll be given the option as to where your saves are stored.

Quote:
3 hours ago, estherhb said:

@tweety - Have you presentedthis question to the Banished Discussion group on Steam?  If anyone knows, one of them should.  My husband has Steam and all of his saved games on his D drive - but that's where he installed it from the beginning.  It may be that if you reinstall Banish, you'll be given the option as to where your saves are stored.

yes, I did ask there and I got no help. Apparently it's not a steam thing anyway, it's up to the game on where it wants to store games. And this is a brand new computer and so I did find the instructions to install steam on my D drive, which I did, but banished still wants the saves on the C drive...

thanks though...

Like I said my husband installed Steam and all of his game saves go to his D drive including Banished. He showed the save folder to me, so I have to believe there's a way to do this when you set up Steam and/or Banished. It's just been so long, we aren't sure what he did. Sorry we can't help you fix it.

Quote:
2 minutes ago, estherhb said:

Like I said my husband installed Steam and all of his game saves go to his D drive including Banished. He showed the save folder to me, so I have to believe there's a way to do this when you set up Steam and/or Banished. It's just been so long, we aren't sure what he did. Sorry we can't help you fix it.

well crap, I wish I knew what he did differently!  It also would be good to put the info into the FAQ's in this forum.. with all the people buying computers now with 2 drives, I wasn't the only one trying to google this and find an answer...

Hi, you got me curious and I went googling and found this at http://www.dummies.com/computers/operati...indows-10/

Quote:

If your computer has multiple partitions, you may want to change the location of one or more of your user folders. For example, you might move the Downloads folder to another partition so that enough room is left on your Windows system drive. Doing so helps to ensure that your user folders and their contents are safe if Windows 10 fails and you need to reinstall it.

If you have a solid-state storage device (SSD) with little space available, moving your user folders to another drive makes even more sense. This way, you can use the valuable space on the SSD for apps and games that benefit from the speed and performance of an SSD. Here’s how to move a user folder, such as Downloads, to another location:

1. Open File Explorer.

2. Click Quick Access if it isn’t open.

3. Click the user folder that you want to change to select it.

4. Click the Home tab on the Ribbon.

The Home tab is displayed.

5. In the Open section, click Properties.

6. In the Folder Properties window, click the Location tab.

<div style="width:535px;">
    [Image: 494462.image0.jpg]

<div>
    The Location tab of the Folder Properties window.

</div>

7. Click Move.

8. Browse to the new location you want to use for this folder.

9. Click Select Folder.

10. Click OK.

You’re asked to confirm that you want to move all files from the old location to the new location.

11. Click Yes and wait for the files to be moved to the new location.

[Image: 494463.image1.jpg]

<div>
    The Move Folder confirmation window.

</div>

12. Close File Explorer.

The next time you start File Explorer, the user folder will appear in the new location.

</div>

I had Banished already installed on an SSD C drive with it saving to Documents on C drive. So I tried relocating the Documents folder to an external drive and it works very well - Banished can both read old saves and write new ones!!!!!!

First impression is that Banished gameplay is running much faster like this - which may be because the SSD is now less burdened. Hmmm ... think I might do the same with my Desktop and Downloads.

[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" width="20" alt=":D" />

I did not see your post khemari, but guess what? I just figured this out for myself [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />  Color me stupid. I did not know I could just move the documents folder to another drive, but now I do!  Solution to problem was so simple! And you're right, it does start up faster and I found out on Windows 10 in settings, storage, you can tell windows where to save each folder, which was a handy thing I overlooked...