Trouble with Farmers

Ok, reporting back again:

I tried the trick again. No luck this time. I turned off the work and reduced the workers. Waited briefly for the farmers to become reassigned. Turned it back on and increased the farmer number. They are still just idling or doing labor work.

I don't know what to do at this point. I've never had it this bad before. I did replace the field and nothing. If this is a vanilla bug, I might just have to stop playing Banished all together. This is terrible. Just terrible. My food stocks are starting to dip as more and more people have kids. Even with the surplus. I'll just remove the redundant mods I suppose and try again with a new save. I'll report back with something later. Hopefully good news this time.

ETA: I have removed everything but Proper Time, Time is Money (Alternative), and MegaMod. Lets keep our fingers crossed. I feel like none of those mods should have affected the farming, but I suppose weirder things have happened in modding.

Question: do your fields have stuff built right next to them and potentially blocking even just one of the squares along the fields? If farmers detect a spot along a field that they can't walk across, they'll ignore that field once the spring sowing is done. It's the reason why some of the decorative fences have walk-through versions, so you can decorates your farms and fence all the fields without having them bug because you blocked access.

The only things you can safely build right against a field are roads or walk-through/ghost decorations. Anything else can confuse the AI.

Quote:
6 minutes ago, Vrayna said:

Question: do your fields have stuff built right next to them and potentially blocking even just one of the squares along the fields? If farmers detect a spot along a field that they can't walk across, they'll ignore that field once the spring sowing is done. It's the reason why some of the decorative fences have walk-through versions, so you can decorates your farms and fence all the fields without having them bug because you blocked access.

The only things you can safely build right against a field are roads or walk-through/ghost decorations. Anything else can confuse the AI.

Really? I never knew that.

Yes, I always build fences directly around the farms. Honestly, thinking back now...

The farms worked perfectly... Up until I built the fence!

I will have to look into redoing how I build my farms I suppose and see what happens.

The AI of this game sometimes... I swear....

Yup, it's a crazy little detail that you only notice when it happens to you, and then often forget. Time to go find the ghost fences and replace those around your fields. Something to keep your people busy for a little while. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the help from everyone! I appreciate you all taking the time to help silly ole me. I have to be so precise with neatness that it came back to bite me. Gah! Oh well. I look into those ghost fences. : )

Ok. One last question. If I were to build the fences, the real fences not the ghost fences, one block away from the field instead of directly next to the field, would that still work? I'm not terribly wild about the idea of my bannies just walking through what should be a solid item. I mean, I can get use to it if I have to, but if I can use the regular fences and still let it function properly, that would be koolio. : )

One space away from the field's edge works fine. And then if you don't want a weird different texture between field and fence, you can look into the ghost floor tiles to find something to plop down on those free spaces to make them look better.

Nice!

Thanks for all the help! It is much appreciated!

Quote:
3 hours ago, LadieWinter said:

Ok. One last question. If I were to build the fences, the real fences not the ghost fences, one block away from the field instead of directly next to the field, would that still work? I'm not terribly wild about the idea of my bannies just walking through what should be a solid item. I mean, I can get use to it if I have to, but if I can use the regular fences and still let it function properly, that would be koolio. : )

there is 1 corner of the feild you need to keep free. it is usually the north east corner of the field but once you started to turn around with "r" and "t" i cannot tell you if it stays that corner or it has been rotated too.

Quote:
6 hours ago, Ketchup said:

there is 1 corner of the feild you need to keep free. it is usually the north east corner of the field but once you started to turn around with "r" and "t" i cannot tell you if it stays that corner or it has been rotated too.

Well, that just further complicates things. Lol! I guess I will have to stick with the ghost fence after all. 

Thanks for the heads up!