Trouble with Farmers

Hello!

I am having trouble with some of my farmers. I seem to only have this problem with the farmers on my crop fields and not my orchard farms. They will sometimes refuse to do any work. Their houses are always right next to or extremely near the fields that they work in. There is a food market right near them too. They will work long enough plant the seeds and then abandon the field. I will find them idling or doing labor work. Luckily my people aren't in any danger of starving because of the amount of food coming in from other places, but this is irritating. They will randomly do it. They might work one or two years just fine with no hiccups and then the next year completely abandon the field. I can't make head or tails about the reasoning they do this.

I am using Mega Mod 8 Beta 2, but I also found this problem Mega Mod 7 Beta. Is anyone else having this issue? Does anyone know how to fix this? Is this just a glitch with the Mega Mod? Any and all answers are greatly appreciated!

did you hit the food limit since you are so well stocked? that would shut down the crops and other food producers including fishermen and gatherers.it should show an icon above the fields then.you can adjust the limits by clicking the gear icon andf then the arrow with the line over it icon. can't think of anything else that would cause it since they are planting the fields. otherwise i would look at any other mods you have added and load the compatability 1.07 mod to fix.

I always set my food limit as high as it can go, 999,999, and everything else is producing food just fine. Is there a patch for 8?

The only one I saw to download was for 7. Which when I was playing 7, I did use the patch and it still happened.

This is not a "bug" in <abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr>; it happens in vanilla too.  You mention that your fields are near a market, however, it is better if you have barns near the fields.  Make sure you have plenty of laborers to take the food to the barns. Farmers become laborers during the winter. If they become busy gathering stone/long/iron or, they sometimes forget to come back to their field in time to plant. When that happens, I fire a few farmers, wait a minute then hire again and hopefully get someone who is available to work. If the field is planted late, you may need to assign another farmer to help harvest the crop in the fall.

Quote:
1 hour ago, estherhb said:

This is not a "bug" in <abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr>; it happens in vanilla too.

It has been a loooong time since I've played vanilla, so I must have never noticed. Once I start playing with <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>, I never went back. Lol!

Quote:

You mention that your fields are near a market, however, it is better if you have barns near the fields.  Make sure you have plenty of laborers to take the food to the barns.

Oh, I have plenty of barns for food storage. They are right next to the fields. I just mentioned the market because I know production goes down with the people have to walk to far to get supplies. I just forget to throw in the thing about the barns. With the barns being next to the fields, it usually takes the farmers no time at all to harvest, collect, and store the food. They are able to gather it all before anything starts dying off. Unfortunately I don't have much in the way of laborers at the moment, but the farmers always get the job done in timely manner WHEN they get it done.

Quote:

Farmers become laborers during the winter.

I do know this. This happens during the months they are suppose to be farming (Spring and Summer) and the harvesting months (Autumn).

Quote:

If they become busy gathering stone/long/iron or, they sometimes forget to come back to their field in time to plant. When that happens, I fire a few farmers, wait a minute then hire again and hopefully get someone who is available to work. If the field is planted late, you may need to assign another farmer to help harvest the crop in the fall.

Planting the crops in time isn't an issue. They usually go to the field long enough to plant but then abandon the field shortly afterwards. When they do see the job through all the way, they get the job done in a timely manner as stated above. I have yet to have a late harvest. Just usually no harvest at all. : / When I look at the field's panel, it will say 95% or whatever done, but the farmers never come back to harvest. The plants just grow and grow until they reach 100% and then die off in the middle of Winter. I will look into doing that trick of yours and see if I can't make that work. Thanks for the tips!

I just want to report in this:

Spring time rolled around again, and my farmers went to the field long enough to plant the seeds and then abandoned the field. I "fired" all the workers and then "hired" more and that seemed to the trick! I will also look into probably deleting and rebuilding the field to see if that does anything.

Thanks again for the tip!

if they are completely planted then i don't think the field size would be an issue.do you have other mods? i had issues and dumped some mods over time.they would plant the fields and then after a few years stop working that field all together. how is your education level?

Quote:
15 minutes ago, stiles said:

do you have other mods?

I have

-Increased Resources Combined: Conflicts with RawMaterialIron and RawMaterialWood

-Busy Laborers: Conflicts with NaturalResourceBlueberry, NaturalResourceHerb, NaturalResourceHerb, NaturalResourceMushroom, NaturalResourceOnion, and NaturalResourceRoot.

-Extra Leather: Conflicts with RawMaterialLeather

-Lesser Tree Growth and Life: Conflicts with NaturalResourceTree_Growth and NaturalResourceTree_Spawn

-Proper Time: No conflicts

-Super Market: Conflicts with Market_storage

-Time is Money (Alternative): No conflicts

Nothing that I can see that would conflict with the farmers or farms.

Quote:
18 minutes ago, stiles said:

how is your education level?

I haven't built a school yet. I know that uneducated people don't work as well, but they shouldn't just stop working altogether. The crop fields are the only thing I have issues with the people stopping their work altogether. I honestly don't think that is a contributor.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/15885-ladiewinter/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="15885" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/15885-ladiewinter/">@LadieWinter</a>One other thing you should check:  Make sure you are producing 100 food per person per year and have at least one year's surplus of food. With a large population 2-years' is even better.  If food gets low during the summer, before the crops are harvested, workers spend more time away from the job looking for food and that could be one reason they aren't returning to harvest their crops.

BTW, I found that Increased Resources Combined caused crashes with <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> 1.75 on my PC so Kralyerg made <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> Increase Resources which works like a charm. 

If you continue to have problems, I would try playing without any other of these mods. Most, if not all, have not been updated to work with Banished 1.0.7 and may no longer work properly due to the new Flags/Limits. 

Quote:
43 minutes ago, estherhb said:

One other thing you should check:  Make sure you are producing 100 food per person per year and have at least one year's surplus of food. With a large population 2-years' is even better.  If food gets low during the summer, before the crops are harvested, workers spend more time away from the job looking for food and that could be one reason they aren't returning to harvest their crops.

Oh, I have more than enough surplus. I currently have a population of about 50. My plums produce 1300+ each season. (I'm not sure if it is a glitch or not but my plums grow year round. So I get about 2 harvests each year.) My cows produce 1200+ beef each season. My fishing docks produces 900+ each season. My squash, when properly harvested, produces 1200+ each Autumn season. I am currently sitting around 14000 or 15000 surplus.

Quote:
48 minutes ago, estherhb said:

BTW, I found that Increased Resources Combined caused crashes with <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> 1.75 on my PC so Kralyerg made <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> Increase Resources which works like a charm. 

If you continue to have problems, I would try playing without any other of these mods. Most, if not all, have not been updated to work with Banished 1.0.7 and may no longer work properly due to the new Flags/Limits. 

Hmmm. I haven't had a crash yet, so that is interesting to hear. I'll have to keep any eye out for that.

I haven't had any issues thus far with any of the other mods. They seem to work as intended. But I will be sure to keep a look out for any issues that arise.