American Colonies Architecture Pack

So... I plan on having the first set of houses (Early New England) ready tomorrow or Thursday for 3d modeling. 

There will be 1 small house (3x2) with 3 variants, 1 medium house (4x3) with 5 variants, 1 large house, (5x4) with 3 variants, 1 unique house (The House of Seven Gables from Salem, Massachusetts) and a lean-to addition for each of the three sizes (3, 4 or 5x1). 

I am not sure yet on what the build cost will be for them. <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="4" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/">@ShockPuppet</a>, would you mind if I used <abbr title="Colonial Charter">cc</abbr> lumber, bricks and glass as resources for the construction? 

Quote:
10 hours ago, The Pilgrim said:

Excellent.  Where in New England are you?

Im near the New York - Connecticut border... This area is so rich in colonial architecture, the Oblong area as well as northwestern Connecticut still has several covered bridges with endless stone walls in every field. And so many villages and hamlets with untouched architecture.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3525-thethirdapple/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3525" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3525-thethirdapple/">@thethirdapple</a>

Awesome.  My sister lives in Danbury. It's absolutely beautiful up there. I grew up in New Hampshire and love the old buildings all over New England. My dad actually has a company that restores period woodwork in the old colonials and victorians. 

Out of curiosity, what is you process here? You mentioned that you do not model, are you making 2d sketches of the proposed buildings then giving them to someone who knows how to make the model magic happen? On what are you making the designs?

I am curious, you have got me thinking about what I would like to see in a banished mod now... and my mind wandered through ambitious places.

I am making 2d sketches and providing pictures to help with texturing. I believe (hopefully) Shock or someone will do the 3d modeling. After that I will work on packaging the mod (with lots of help as I have never done it before)

Quote:
On 11/29/2016 at 7:19 PM, The Pilgrim said:

I am making 2d sketches and providing pictures to help with texturing. I believe (hopefully) Shock or someone will do the 3d modeling. After that I will work on packaging the mod (with lots of help as I have never done it before)

Perhaps in a new topic/thread, will you be posting the drawings etc to this site? i would love to try my hand a creating some models and applying the UV maps, but do not have a Banished "modbox" setup to test them as a game .pkg... next steps get my winbox back up and running [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />, been using dual boot to play.

In looking at some of the .fbx files in the mod kit examples, Im surprised at the number of polygons. Is there an ideal count suggested ? 

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2016_12/apiary_polycount.thumb.png.e89f3311609a86cf6435c91386d1e321.png[/img]

I find the Apiary example is well above what would be a normal buildings polygon/face count. It all depends on the amount of detail, particularly in props and decorations. Most of my own buildings are well under half the amount.

A lower polygon model is always going to be better for performance, especially when there are many of the same on the map.

That said, Banished still seems quite able at taking pretty large polygon models.

Quote:
12 minutes ago, Discrepancy said:

especially when there are many of the same on the map.

I'd say that's the key... massed items (housing, crops(!) and such) need low poly count, while for really special/unique buildings devs can splurge a bit... within reason [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6338-discrepancy/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6338" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6338-discrepancy/">@Discrepancy</a> Thanks, and I just read thru your blender tutorial on "WOB".

Very helpful in understanding how best to model for Banished.

If you, or anyone for that matter, do make some fbx files, but don't want to deal with learning the code, I'd be willing to code it up into a working mod.