Idea for Traders

Quote:
16 minutes ago, rejectedegg said:

I will give that a try

I use that same recipe when I get a lot of lag (usually when I get near the 1000 population mark)...

Oh, just remembered another thing - against lag, it might help if you zoom in more... my experience is - the more I zoom in, the less lag. Not a cure-all, but after a while you get a feel for how much zooming in / zooming out is necessary to move around halfway comfortably... [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

EDIT

Another thought - just noticed you're using DX9... have you tried DX11?

Quote:
1 hour ago, Paeng said:

I use that same recipe when I get a lot of lag (usually when I get near the 1000 population mark)...

Oh, just remembered another thing - against lag, it might help if you zoom in more... my experience is - the more I zoom in, the less lag. Not a cure-all, but after a while you get a feel for how much zooming in / zooming out is necessary to move around halfway comfortably... [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

EDIT

Another thought - just noticed you're using DX9... have you tried DX11?

Switched and still the same [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2016_12/5849d7eb1946e_DXOptions.thumb.png.1ab3842eeb66f872bf2e4a24c2e3dcc6.png[/img]

I really don't think the problem is related to how many of an individual item you have, but how many different items you have had.

Like you could have 10 million logs, and the game wouldn't care.

But if you have (or have ever had) 1 each of 300 different resources, it keeps it all in it's memory, even if you later sell them all off and make the quantities zero.

At least that's my take on it.

Quote:
16 minutes ago, Kralyerg said:

At least that's my take on it.

And its 100% correct. I found the exact same results.

Indeed [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Quote:
On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 6:40 AM, ShockPuppet said:

There's also something about how an active game accumulates an array of known items and calculates them, it's not just the TP.

I know this because I edited the TP not to show inventory or as much inventory and the problem persists. Suspect the TP calls / calculates the array regardless of what the ui displays.

This!!

I am a hobby programmer and I learned that you never tie calculation code to UI elements. You do the calculation and then after the calculation is done call a procedure to update the UI in one go.

What we'd need is Luke to go over his code and add a kind of check at every few years or every change of year to remove from the inventory list any item you currently have 0 of in your town. You'd get rid of any kind of food you bought once at the start and then never made again, old rough tools, starting potatoes, firewood/bundles if you've switched to coal and random stuff like that from the list. If you're producing a wide range of stuff you'd still get issues from a bloated inventory, but at least you'd remove a bit of useless empty items on the lists.

I know I'd gladly accept a pause of a couple of seconds at every change of year if it meant a cleaner inventory.

(Even better would be the addition of a clean-up button that you could hit once you find yourself with lots of stuff at 0. You could skip the cleaning if your computer has no trouble with anything, or hit it as often as you need to.)

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6032-rejectedegg/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6032" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6032-rejectedegg/">@rejectedegg</a> have you had any success yet?

With my TH I have it minimised and when on the inventory screen I only have it listed by alphabetical order, unless I am moving stock around and need to sort by item count.

Even on my gaming system I have to pause my game and move around in some busier areas, where there is a lot of traffic.  I find that when I am around the TH it's always a lot busier, traffic wise, and as such it slows down due to the dynamic traffic.