Idea for Traders

Is there any way to implement a Trading method to help those of us who get affected by the Banish Bug with our Town Halls like I spoke about in my post here?

So we can trade a gob of mats off to a trader for say 1 of something else?

Just to help us empty our Inventory of some overstocked items we are not using at the time.

Or has there been something put into place already to help with this and I have just overlooked it?

You want really expensive trade items so that you can get rid of excess inventory? Interesting. *smile*

I suppose you could buy up everything a trader has. Might just swap a bunch of one item for a bunch of other ones. You could also set limits lower, but that only goes so far when you need a bunch of one type of thing but have a lot of something else in the same category. I try to turn off buildings that make things I'm not currently using. When I remember to. *grin*

As soon as I drop my first trader I'm getting rid of stuff I don't need/need yet and put it in a trading post to buy whatever may tickle my fancy. I use that stuff up before I give up my firewood.  I get rid of a ton of stuff with the food trader. Just make it so you rely a little more on the food trader to cover a slight percentage of food intake. Unfortunately, some things you still end up having to micromanage the buildings, like Watersmoon said, wax on, wax off. I also buy stone every time it shows up with the junk goods I have. Keeps me from dropping a quarry. Great when your limited on land.

Quote:
10 hours ago, WatersMoon110 said:

I try to turn off buildings that make things I'm not currently using. When I remember to. *grin*

I have this "problem" also  lol

I tend to get so engrossed into what I am doing I forget to take a spin around my map for things like that  [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

<p style="margin-top:0px;">
<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="4" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/">@ShockPuppet</a> said this on the post I linked in my first post on here, In response to a problem I tend to have    "There's a Banished game bug at work here. <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/" style="color:rgb(136,91,33);text-decoration:underline;background:rgb(241,205,128);padding:0px 5px;font-size:11.7px;">@Kralyerg</a> and I looked at it a while ago. As the range of items visible in your inventory increases, so does the lag on the town hall.

<p style="margin-bottom:0px;">
We tried to fix this issue or work around it but it simply wasn't possible. "

So that is why I want to be able to exchange a gob of items quickly with a trader for something like just 1 special Item if need be.   

EX:  Trade 100 wood for 1 certain special item.  And if I need to dump 1000 wood I could do that at a cost of 10 special items.

Kind of like having an Auction House like they do in most MMORPGs where you can sell items to get whatever the ingame gold is in that particular game.

Which frees up Inventory space [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

So that way I can keep my Town Hall open more than I can now.  I like to have it open so I can check how many resources I currently have , instead of having to run all the way back to the Town Hall its self to do this.

Food I tend to hold on to , my people tend to eat like there is gonna be no tomorrow [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]/emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" title=":(" width="20" />

And I already use enough mods to make some things easier in the game already, I really don't want to have to add any more at this point because then I lose the Challenge feel in the game. 

I'm not actually sure that would work.

Once you get 1 unit of an item, it will appear in your Town Hall inventory. Even if get rid of all of that item, it will always stay there, even if it's at 0.

So,  the game will still have think about these items all the time, even with a 0 quantity. It does the same calculations (or whatever it's called) that it does to items you have many of.

I think the problem you are encountering is not just the range of visible resources but also the fact that every time an item is moved into or out of a storage area the town hall inventory is recalculated and when you get a lot of goods being produced and used the calculations can cause lag. Adding a trade option to get rid of this item will not help, as the item will still be placed into the storage then removed by the trader, hence as Kralyerg said will still be recorded and re-calculated in the town hall, albeit briefly.

If you wanted to try to move resources somewhere else, then you can build a trader or a specialty barn that employs a worker to collect certain goods (I can't remember the name of it now but it acts like a trader but with out the trade option). Set the limit of the good you want out of the way to 9999 and the worker will constantly pick it up and move it to the trader or barn where it is basically in long term storage and not available for use. Either that, or get something like Red Ketchups choo choo mod that will sell any of a given resource for coin and use the coin to buy something else of higher value. Although, I doubt that this will solve the lag problem of resources and numbers being re-calculated in the town hall inventory as even though the resource is not accumulating they are still being moved into or out of storage on their way to the barn, and re-calculated each time.

The only option I see that will really reduce the lag is to just stop producing that item if you do not use it. It will remain in the town hall inventory list, but won't be constantly re-calculated as none are being produced or used.

EDIT - Some of this issue is when you are viewing the updating numbers in the inventory, I assume these calculations are always going on in the background of the game but because it doesn't need to show you the results so there is not as much lag as when you are watching them update in real time. Try minimizing the town hall window when you are not using it. I remember minimizing a trader window to stop them paddling away while I waited for more stock to trade and I think I remember the lag issues going away until it was maximized. That way you can keep it open and do not have to find your way back each time but you are not viewing the numbers, so the calculations are going on in the back ground and will hopefully not lag (as they do when you don't have it open). Give this a go and let me know if it works!

Just a hypothetical, lets say you dug through the code and found you could have it recalculate every 3 seconds instead of constantly. Would that solve the issue or just lag every 3 seconds? I'm just curious.

I honestly don't think it would make much difference really, as it would still have to recalculate the same all the same things - that is what I think is the cause.

I've always had a thought of how this could be manipulated in game.

As a rule of thumb, and I remember reading this somewhere, that keep the builders down to a minimum under 8 and you will see a performance boost - also the more builders you have the more buildings are being built then and there - the changing progression and different build models will all use up processor memory.

Lowering the amount of stored goods with a mod? for later game, I have thought about creating some kind of packing shed/unpacking shed, but with a twist. For something like logs, 10 could go in to a Log Pack, they would weigh less than 10 logs, they can be unpacked back into 10 or they can also be used in specially upgraded things, like a Woodcutter, with the building upgraded it can turn not only logs into firewood, but also Log Packs, giving a proportionate amount of firewood to the original 10 logs.

I've only put thoughts into this, haven't seen how it will or could play out in code.

There's also something about how an active game accumulates an array of known items and calculates them, it's not just the TP.

I know this because I edited the TP not to show inventory or as much inventory and the problem persists. Suspect the TP calls / calculates the array regardless of what the ui displays.