No babies

this is bannished. the bannies have minds of their own rule is whatever you expect or want them to do ,they will do the opposzite,i have had single females refuse to live with anyone. they went on to have kids.later when a friend died across the road, she moved in with the widowed husband and his kids. i think some has to do with placement of the house by the job place and the style.it is so intermitten it is hard to diagnose. these odd behavior issues can make for fun games thou.

Quote:
On 11/11/2018 at 7:26 AM, maiden4meldin said:

sorry to jump on your question. I forget what its called. anyway. I sometimes see in my houses Single Parents'?? is that a thing on Banished?  I know it is a single parent and not two people started tog in the house. and one died. I monitored this house from building to inhabited until a male had a 0child born in the house.  is this just a fluke, or a quirk of Banished?

It's not common but it is normal as far as I can tell. I see this happen a lot in games when there are many more adult females than males in the population (e.g. the adult population is about 1/4 or 1/3 male). The game mechanics revolve around survival and having children is a significant part of that. I suspect that if a female adult hits the right check-boxes (e.g. home with space for children, correct age for pregnancy and so on) they will automatically become potential mothers regardless of having a husband.

It may also be an indicator that you are building too many houses and couples are splitting up.

Quote:
7 hours ago, estherhb said:

It may also be an indicator that you are building too many houses and couples are splitting up.

Esther raises a good point and it's something important to consider as you expand your town. I've seen both of these situations result in single females having children. In some cases I've seen the women leave the house to start living by herself in a recently built house and her children stay in the orginal house with the father. Then within a year the woman is having another child but she still lives in the new house by herself.

So, the point of all my waffling on? There's a lot of variables in the game, sometimes they only show up under specific circumstances and pregnancy is definitely subject to a lot of these variables. What occurs in one playthrough may not happen in the next. But it does keep the game engaging and challenging!