Maritimes Development Thread

Necora, these textures! I was zooming in to see how the flowers I'm practicing with (Tany's flax, spawned in multiple colors by RedKetchup's grass, with wind motion learned from your explanations in this thread) were turning out and I instead got distracted by your leaves. How do you do this? Find the most perfect screenshot ever of a leaf on the web? Draw them? They're fantastic!

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" data-fileid="2363" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_05/NecoraTrees.jpg.99c556d90b81e148be1b6bfbc094632e.jpg">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_05/NecoraTrees.thumb.jpg.703f56860fe5d0fe8e537ca1097516d0.jpg[/img]</a>

Oh wow <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/14829-kedryn/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="14829" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/14829-kedryn/">@Kedryn</a> they are amazing, aren't they?!?

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> (you can blame Netflix for this next bit), I was wondering if you had thought of including the beautiful Cherry Blossoms into your Maritimes Tree mods at all?

I was watching Anne with an E last night and I saw the beautiful Green Gabled houses (so much like yours) and found that the Cherry trees were everywhere in the PEI region, in both white & pink, the white was striking!  I do love the pink though. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />    Is just a thought. ...  

BTW - I after watching it and seeing the farm and the large tall roof, and the layout etc, you really did your buildings justice, I was watching the show with your in mind.  Even made poor hubby pause it a few times to talk about the mods, and how I see them in the show. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />    Oh, and I see where you got the roads inspiration from!!

<iframe data-controller="core.front.core.autosizeiframe" scrolling="no" src="<___base_url___>/index.php?app=core&module=system&controller=embed&url=https://www.instagram.com/p/BQge_W0BI13/" style="height:1032px;"></iframe>

<iframe data-controller="core.front.core.autosizeiframe" scrolling="no" src="<___base_url___>/index.php?app=core&module=system&controller=embed&url=https://www.instagram.com/p/BQSBFSaBYtl/" style="height:992px;"></iframe>

<iframe data-controller="core.front.core.autosizeiframe" scrolling="no" src="<___base_url___>/index.php?app=core&module=system&controller=embed&url=https://www.instagram.com/p/BO-A6_-hySl/" style="height:663px;"></iframe>

https://sewfrench.com/2012/07/12/pretty-...ry-on-top/

http://www.susanbranch.com/2012/04/sprin...nt-page-1/

Also, some shots from the series, please keep in mind that you can't screenshot in Netflix, so these are off my phone camera [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

All content is from Netflix, I make no claims (in case Netflix sees this, hahaha)

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_05/591e3e1947635_20170519necinspiGGNetflixIMG_8851.jpg.818ae8ef01f2828cf6b5748a433d2f8a.jpg" data-fileid="2375">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_05/591e3e1947635_20170519necinspiGGNetflixIMG_8851.jpg.818ae8ef01f2828cf6b5748a433d2f8a.jpg[/img]</a>

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_05/591e3e1b06b0a_20170519necinspiGGNetflixIMG_8853.jpg.0e95bebb73d70c246822e33042c2c2c7.jpg" data-fileid="2376">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_05/591e3e1b06b0a_20170519necinspiGGNetflixIMG_8853.jpg.0e95bebb73d70c246822e33042c2c2c7.jpg[/img]</a>

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_05/591e3e1d39793_20170519necinspiGGNetflixIMG_8854.jpg.821e7f26cbc4623a48439227fb78365f.jpg" data-fileid="2377">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_05/591e3e1d39793_20170519necinspiGGNetflixIMG_8854.jpg.821e7f26cbc4623a48439227fb78365f.jpg[/img]</a>

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/14829-kedryn/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="14829" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/14829-kedryn/">@Kedryn</a> Nice shot, glad you like the detail! I've not zoomed in close enough to notice yet haha. Making the textures was a mix of google image sleuthing and some gimp editing. Luckily, all of the trees I made had a few representative images on google image to use. It was a case of finding the right one then stripping off the background. The aspen (that you pictured) was a nice branch on a white back ground. So I made the white transparent, although in gimp for some reason this also makes everything slightly transparent. So I had to duplicate the image a few times and merge them on top of each other then play around with contrast and saturation to get it to show up nice and vivid in game. Not much to it really, I wish I had the patience and skill to draw them! I have thought about taking my own pictures of them though, maybe if I get a lot of time in the fall I might do that and set up the branches exactly how I want them to be. I really want to do this with the evergreens in the set because it was much harder to find good images of those... people really don't know the difference between a pine and a fir! So when you type in pine needles or branches, you mostly get firs (christmas trees). It is mighty annoying, and I have plenty of all types around here so will probably make my own next time.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9529-queryeverything/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9529" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9529-queryeverything/">@QueryEverything</a> I've not yet seen the show, I'll have to watch it. I took a lot of inspiration from PEI, similar to around here in terms of style but a bit more farm orientated. I want to expand the Crystal Cliffs part at some point with some farm houses and more barns and things, so might look there for more inspiration. PEI is pretty much farms from one end of the island to the other, mostly farming potatoes. And it is famous for the red roads! So I had to make them! Glad you like it and see similarities in the mods and the show, it was the aim to try to bring some maritimes flavor to the game.

Quote:
5 hours ago, Necora said:

I have thought about taking my own pictures of them though, maybe if I get a lot of time in the fall I might do that and set up the branches exactly how I want them to be. I really want to do this with the evergreens in the set because it was much harder to find good images of those... people really don't know the difference between a pine and a fir! So when you type in pine needles or branches, you mostly get firs (christmas trees). It is mighty annoying, and I have plenty of all types around here so will probably make my own next time.

You didn't know? All conifers are pines! I've had better('better' being a relative term) luck finding images using the Latin names of things (also quotation marks and lots of minus symbols).

The internet: full of so much information and yet so much of it wrong.

Quote:
5 hours ago, Kedryn said:

You didn't know? All conifers are pines! I've had better('better' being a relative term) luck finding images using the Latin names of things (also quotation marks and lots of minus symbols).

Plant geek time (raises hand and says "pick me, pick me"):  Actually, conifers include pines, firs, redwoods and other cone bearing trees and plants; so not all conifers are pines.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6-estherhb/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6-estherhb/">@estherhb</a> I was wondering if I should have added the /sarcasm or not; I guess I should have. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />

I am also somewhat of a plant geek. All pines are conifers but not all conifers are pines. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/tongue.png[/img]/emoticons/tongue@2x.png 2x" title=":P" width="20" />

Welcome fellow plant geek.  

Plant geeks all around! So is my girlfriend, which admittedly is the only reason why I know how to ID most of the trees around here and the 'all pines are conifers but not all conifers are pines' bit...

Then again, I did go and call it the 'Pine Set' even though there is only 1 pine tree in it.... but that is more for the fact that the pine pitch and turpentine chains are a central thing to the set. 

Quote:
5 hours ago, Kedryn said:

For all the amazing things the internet allows, I honestly believe that this is going to be the undoing of humanity. There is just so much false information being propagated and repeated through out the internet, in all aspects of life and science, and it has given people the ability to completely surround themselves in it and, in their minds rationally, reject alternative points of view. As a scientist myself it is rather depressing and overwhelming when I read it knowing there is little I can do to change it. For all the knowledge the internet gives us access to, I think it is making a lot of people dumber, even regular people who read things online and instantly take it as fact without doing any research/checking for themselves. 

Quote:
10 hours ago, Necora said:

For all the amazing things the internet allows, I honestly believe that this is going to be the undoing of humanity. <...> For all the knowledge the internet gives us access to, I think it is making a lot of people dumber, even regular people who read things online and instantly take it as fact without doing any research/checking for themselves. 

I'm old now, so I remember a time when the internet was mostly just people sharing actual information; probably because you had to know how to configure your PC and lol-dialup modem to have access to it. No ads back then cos it wasn't worth it.

Now it's like a cross between the National Enquirer and that crazy guy that lived down the street from me when I was a kid who told me putting aluminum foil on the windows would protect me from government mind-reading experiments.