Maritimes Development Thread

Another image! But this time with a purpose other than entertainment [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/laugh.png[/img]/emoticons/laugh@2x.png 2x" title="xD" width="20" />

Production rates can go higher than the 500-600 I had seen earlier. I don't know what the final rate for a really good year would be but in the following image, the hut dedicated to seaweed collection hauled in 901 units for year 60 (and I've been running the Maritime mod without any trouble for about 20 game years).

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2016_12/MaritimesMod-004.thumb.jpg.e67ca4e912f636949cda96a6ca9c6002.jpg[/img]

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="314" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/">@KevinTheCynic</a> great pics, glad to see you are enjoying it! Another snow day here (-29 degrees Celsius wind) so I am not going more than 2 meters away from the wood stove. Plenty of time to try to finish the next batch of buildings. These are going to be shore based, as I need to start to set up a production chain for the next set of fishery buildings.

With the production rates, these pics are very useful to me. I'm taking a note of how much they produce because I have not figured out yet what the values in the coding really translate to in terms of exact production in game. I guess your seaweed harvester was living right next to the hut and didn't have to go far for anything! Or they really like seaweed. At the moment, the values for each product are a little different (like +/- 1 unit per collection event I think) which means over a year there will be a difference between oysters and seaweed for example (I think they are the highest and lowest). The reason I did this was so a) I can see how they translate in game and b) I was trying to get the multiple options to work and thought that this might make a difference (it didn't).

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> I set all five buildings up for the different foods and did notice they had different production amounts for the same time period however there were issues here and there with such things as no space in nearby storage, distance to the workers homes and also the cemeteries which some of them chose to idle around for example. Part of the reason I leave the town info box in the image is so people can see the current season so for the image above (seaweed & oyster huts) the year was only about halfway through implying that seaweed production for year 61 could potentially reach the 900 units produced in year 60.

What I should try is building a set of them with homes very close by to reduce travel, nearby storage etc. etc. and see the production rates. Those two huts were on the river side of a stretch of land that also had a lake on the other side and that's where the other huts were. Now I suspect that that should not make a difference and the real factor is worker travel times, education & happiness levels and so on but I don't know the mechanics of the game in regard to gatherer locations so I thought it might be worth noting.

I'll mention again that I have had no problems running this mod and I've run the town for about 40 20 - (need to learn to count) - game years with two huts in the beginning and all five about ten years after building the first two. While I was first running it I was regularly using Alt-Tab to bring up other windows (I play the game in fullscreen mode) to add comments or screenshots here and so on plus I had a music player running on the computer at the same time (I found the Banished music got repetitive after playing a few hundred hours!) Nothing really major in all that but if the mod was going to get temperamental then I would expect that would be the time [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

This set is really good, any additions will only make it more enjoyable so I very much look forward the other fishing buildings (I'm assuming you're working with your earlier idea of shore and offshore fishers etc. etc. that you mentioned in <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8937-cainacol12/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="8937" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8937-cainacol12/">@cainacol12</a>'s suggestion thread about fishing?)

And on another note, the coldest weather I have ever experienced was about  -5 degrees Celsius, I can't even imagine -29. But on the flip side, the same desert region where I experienced the -5 also gave me a wonderful <heavy sarcasm> 52 degrees C day one time (approximately 126 degrees Fahrenheit - it sounds much more terrible in Fahrenheit haha) [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]/emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" title=":(" width="20" />

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> And something that I completely forgot about although it's probably quite important... [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/huh.png[/img]/emoticons/huh@2x.png 2x" title="o.O" width="20" />

The production rates shown when I first started using the mod (town of Ciboli) should all be with educated workers but I cannot be certain of that. I've started a new map with a map seed I wanted to try out and I've got all five of the Maritimes huts in place and operating and the worker's homes are just a step or two away. Other factors will obviously still be an influence. 

The production figures for this new town (Alizee) will definitely be with uneducated workers for the first few years. I will note when the Maritimes workers (all of them) are replaced with educated workers so that I can do a comparison check (although again, other factors can influence those numbers).

So here is the latest test: - fourth year of the colony's existence but the third year of operation for the Maritimes fishers. The "previous season" production figures (i.e. the second year of operation) are the first full year of operation for the Maritimes. Unfortunately I have so few colonists at the moment that there are no labourers to pick up goods etc and if I have a few deaths that could really throw a spanner in the works!

Details of image: PEIShore menus - top to bottom equals buildings as seen from left to right. Huts in the near distance are the homes of the Maritime fishers. No market in place yet so they have to walk to the Viking Storage Vault behind the tents for food & supplies. Everybody else has to live in the tents!

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2016_12/Maritimes-2ndTest-001.thumb.jpg.5c2b39abd4185308bd26053201f0dadc.jpg[/img]

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> and any others who are interested [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Some details that might be of interest for my second test town with Maritimes mod: -

New build town with the Maritimes forming a significant part of the food supply. Other food providers: 1 x mini-hunter, 1 x mini-gatherer (Mini Buildings mod), 1 x Fisherman (Small Town Rowhouses mod), 1 x dense orchard - apples (dense orchard is from <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> I believe), 1 x crop field - vegetables (Vegetable Garden Start mod for vanilla Medium start conditions).

Town was optimized somewhat for the Maritimes fishers starting in late Year 3 e.g. dirt roads replaced with stone, small church (water shrine from <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>) built nearby, small market (tiny market from Kid's Tiny compilation mod) built nearby, small hospital (Mini Buildings mod) built nearby. A few years later more storage was built but there were lots more labourers available at that time to move goods & food.

I've run the town now for nine years with the Maritimes fishers being in operation for seven years. The first year was only a half year however and the second year although it was the first full year of operation, was still a slow year. Production seemed to settle into its rhythm from the third year on. While the yearly production rates show notable variation year to year I believe that I'm getting a "general" maximum rate now, based on uneducated workers. I have roughly averaged the max yearly rates as: -

Seaweed - 700 units

Oyster - 370 units

Scallop - 580 units

Clam - 510 units

Mussel - 500 units.

I'll say it again for clarity, these are roughly averaged* approximates taken over a period of only five game years. * I didn't work it out properly, I did some very rough maths in my head.

I have screen shots of the PEIShore menus for each year if anyone wants to see the figures - with gratuitous zoom to include the village for those that might want to see its growth! [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

Next phase is to integrate educated workers and gather production rates for another five or so years under the new conditions.

Question, are there plans to expand this mod to include deep water resources as well? Things like crabs, lobsters, prawns, and of course cod/fish?

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/153-feneris/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="153" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/153-feneris/">@Feneris</a> yes indeed there are. I am working on them at the moment, however my plans were somewhat ambitious and I need to put together a production chain for them. I plan to have a set of inshore fishers for lobster and herring and others, then an off shore fisher for whale, seal, snow crab etc. I've yet to make my mind up on what species will be caught in what fishery. To do this, I was planning a production chain around rope, lumber, dory (small fisher boats), spars and rigging.... didn't quite realize how many buildings but also raw materials would need to be made for it! 

In this pic there is a Dory Builder in the middle of the small fishers, and a new lumber cutter behind it. I was experimenting with a red texture for the lumber cutter, some of the onshore and more advanced buildings in the set will have more color to them as F-variants.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2016_12/Screenshot70.jpg.6896cd256d8c52d8a0461858cb26ef3d.jpg" data-fileid="357">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2016_12/Screenshot70.thumb.jpg.5e19e99ea7e9e43d86308c1041c18be4.jpg[/img]</a>

You might also notice that the dock planks in the Dory Builder are smaller than the fishers, I am also thinking about scaling them down a bit as they are quite chunky at the moment.

The Dory Builder uses lumber, hence the lumber yard, and also another ingredient that I have yet to decide on. I am putting together a roper to fit into the set, so perhaps lumber and rope to build a dory. This has meant spending a lot of time trawling through the resource files to figure out how to make the material flag, which I just managed to accomplish. I had to introduce lumber and dory to the game as materials, and have to decide what ingredients to use for rope, which means adding reeds or flax or something of the sort. While this is aimed to be a companion to <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>, I also want it to function as a stand alone which means adding these chains right down to the raw materials, something I didn't really think about when I started!

Quote:
1 hour ago, Necora said:

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/153-feneris/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="153" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/153-feneris/">@Feneris</a> yes indeed there are. I am working on them at the moment, however my plans were somewhat ambitious and I need to put together a production chain for them. I plan to have a set of inshore fishers for lobster and herring and others, then an off shore fisher for whale, seal, snow crab etc. I've yet to make my mind up on what species will be caught in what fishery. To do this, I was planning a production chain around rope, lumber, dory (small fisher boats), spars and rigging.... didn't quite realize how many buildings but also raw materials would need to be made for it! 

In this pic there is a Dory Builder in the middle of the small fishers, and a new lumber cutter behind it. I was experimenting with a red texture for the lumber cutter, some of the onshore and more advanced buildings in the set will have more color to them as F-variants.

The Dory Builder uses lumber, hence the lumber yard, and also another ingredient that I have yet to decide on. I am putting together a roper to fit into the set, so perhaps lumber and rope to build a dory. This has meant spending a lot of time trawling through the resource files to figure out how to make the material flag, which I just managed to accomplish. I had to introduce lumber and dory to the game as materials, and have to decide what ingredients to use for rope, which means adding reeds or flax or something of the sort. While this is aimed to be a companion to <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>, I also want it to function as a stand alone which means adding these chains right down to the raw materials, something I didn't really think about when I started!

I see your problem here. Probably what's best to do, is just to piggyback what's already in <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> while you work on the new stuff for your mod. Instead of making the entire production chain for the dory maker, just have it use the hull components that are already in <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>. Then, once you've got the all the new stuff made, then you can work on making the mod stand alone without <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> to prop it up.

Talk to Blackliquid too. They are usually pretty cool with letting people take a look at their coding and assets in order to allow people to make modes that are seamlessly compatible with <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>. But my advice is, don't reinvent the wheel when you don't have to.

when you say you are adding "limber", i do hope you add "red lumber" if that is the color you are making it. as there is lumber in <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>,it needs to be named different so it doesn't override the lumber already in <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>. thank you

Quote:
7 hours ago, stiles said:

when you say you are adding "limber", i do hope you add "red lumber" if that is the color you are making it. as there is lumber in <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>,it needs to be named different so it doesn't override the lumber already in <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>. thank you

Using the same name allows modders to use existing modded items. It shows as red in the mod menu but doesn't conflict. RedKetchup has done that extensively.