Maritimes Development Thread

New textures... what do you think? The new ones are closer to the real buildings, especially the roofs. Although I think they need to be a tad darker perhaps.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2016_12/Screenshot66.jpg.a6772748779893f9b87a8f24a3868d09.jpg" data-fileid="330">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2016_12/Screenshot66.thumb.jpg.b3d332e1d4565d194d10d90cdd09c749.jpg[/img]</a>

I am learning a lot by trial and error. One is the Unwrapping... i really need to do all of these again because the same UV outline talks to different duplicate pieces. This is fine when they are the same size, but as soon as they are duplicated and scaled it doesn't work. For example, the faces of the top of the two level building are duplicates of the bottom part, so the texture is squished. One issue I find here is that you really don't have very much space in the UV layout.

I also tried adding a salty layer on the bottom of the faces, you can just about see it.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a>, I will send you a private message with my Stythe Tower sourcecode and the way you can have a building randomly produce a group of items, and also how the production UI history lines can be increased. For everyone else, I will one day add more tutorials over at the WOB website [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Good looking set of buildings, I'm downloading it now and will give it a test run because I'm running about 120 mods (with things such as <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>, NMT, DSSmallVillage and so on).

I have only one comment to make and that's in regard to the newer textures you have shown in the post just above mine. The grey looks fine for buildings made of bare wood and left for many years in the weather but I'd personally like to see a texture that looks like new cut timber. Just my personal preference. 

Zip has finished downloading so I'm going to fire up Banished with Maritimes added and see what happens!

Quote:
2 minutes ago, KevinTheCynic said:

I'd personally like to see a texture that looks like new cut timber.

I myself with my own jetty set would happily like to give this to players, but a picture, or even texture would be nice [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" /> there are a lot of different colored hard woods used for jetties and docks.

If you can find me a texture I will make an F-key variant of my own docks for you. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/ohmy.png[/img]/emoticons/ohmy@2x.png 2x" title=":o" width="20" />   (there is no time-frame of when though)

Quote:
12 minutes ago, Discrepancy said:

I myself with my own jetty set would happily like to give this to players, but a picture, or even texture would be nice [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" /> there are a lot of different colored hard woods used for jetties and docks.

If you can find me a texture I will make an F-key variant of my own docks for you. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/ohmy.png[/img]/emoticons/ohmy@2x.png 2x" title=":o" width="20" />   (there is no time-frame of when though)

Yeah good call, a picture would have made it a lot clearer! I'll have a trawl around the net and see if I can find one that matches what I was thinking.

Meanwhile in other news, I fired up my current town in Banished and checked the Maritime mod for conflicts and the only mod it has a cross over with is <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>.

I have a save game running with, as mentioned above,  NMT and DSSmallVillage (ver 2 Beta) and pretty much all of Discrepancy's mods along with: -

Small Town Rowhouses,

The Tequila Mod,

Colourful Boston Houses

Forest Outpost,

Mini Buildings,

The Fountain Mod,

The Mission,

the Christmas Mod,

Slink's Snug Houses, Slink's Brewery, Slink's SJGL Small Markets, Slink's Stacked Houses,

the four flower food crop mods from Idle Work Team,

the various stand-alone releases from Tom Sawyer's The North mod,

the enhancement packs for <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> (Decorative Items, Compatible Buildings, Quiet <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>, CCBetaFix and so on),

Pesky Produce,

Seed Diversity,

New Flora, 

Japanese Facilities, Japanese Houses,

Jamie's Monastery,

I think most of EB's mods,

and a whole bunch of individual buildings.

There's no issue so far with any of those mods, as I said above, Maritimes mod only shows conflict with <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>.

And further feedback, I've run the town for two years with two buildings from the Maritimes mod with no problem to report so far.

The covered jetty is a great touch. I can see it being used a lot in my future towns!

Here's a screenie of those first two years of operation: -

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2016_12/MaritimesMod-001.jpg.c40fadf416579b7b60047ea52605f3ab.jpg" data-fileid="335">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2016_12/MaritimesMod-001.thumb.jpg.32af09397e21f3d93246686e41c78c1d.jpg[/img]</a>

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6338-discrepancy/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6338" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6338-discrepancy/">@Discrepancy</a> Thanks for the information. The random produce is good to know, however I kinda like having the option to specify what you produce, that way you can have a mix or just focus on something particular. The production amounts do need to be increased for this method however as they are a bit low at the moment.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="314" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/">@KevinTheCynic</a> Let me know what happens! Hopefully no crashes. About the texture - I did have the initial plan to include a fresher looking texture for exactly the reasons you mentioned, however now I am not too sure because I don't want to have a load of F-variants (although I guess it doesn't really matter - even if each building was separate there would still be the same amount of models etc. in the pack). I will explore some options and see how they look, just gotta decide what wood to use.

With later building additions, there will definitely be new texture options. I was planning on a worn texture as above, a fresh texture as you mentioned, then some color options, but there will be less F-variants for these bigger buildings (perhaps 3 per building).

Also, yup it does conflict with <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> because of the mussel etc. resources it adds. I ran mine with it above <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> and it didn't have any issues. I see you're running it below with no issues, cracking! 

What was the most mussels you got per year?

Carrying on the development blog...

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4543-taniu/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="4543" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4543-taniu/">@taniu</a> reported a crash when loading the game with no other mods. I don't know much about game dynamics so have no idea what would cause this, and cannot replicate it. I recommended re-downloading the file as I have had issues with mods before when downloading on a bad internet connection, the download isn't complete although it said it is or the file is corrupted. Hopefully this is just a one off and re-downloading will sort it out.

I changed the image editing software from Illustrator (free trial ran out) to Gimp. I prefer illustrator, and would much prefer photoshop, but can't afford it right now. For some reason, Gimp is not as good as keeping color and sharpness when you scale things as Illustrator did, which lost no quality if you made layers smaller where as in Gimp it is quite terrible (assuming I am doing nothing wrong). Although, Illustrator for some reason opened the 1024x1024 px UV.png as a 2048x2048 image (or possibly even bigger, it might have been 4096x4096). Not sure why it would do that, but perhaps that is why the textures came out much better in Illustrator rather than gimp.

I started on the next set of buildings, although to complete my production chain I need quite a few. The ones I posted a few days ago will be inshore fisheries and will need a new resource, 'Dory', to be constructed. This is a variant on the current <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> hull components, but a whole little boat instead. I am currently putting together a small boat builder which will produce dory's from lumber and rope (possibly linen) and will also produce <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> hull components... but this means I also need to start working on the shore based part of the mod and add a small lumber yard etc.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2016_12/Clipboard01.jpg.8907820977d973c32ee6f82c69708314.jpg" data-fileid="336">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2016_12/Clipboard01.thumb.jpg.128a6deaa41f89489e530c5d329807a6.jpg[/img]</a>

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> I do like the textures you're using and as <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6338-discrepancy/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6338" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6338-discrepancy/">@Discrepancy</a> mentioned I should have been clearer about what I meant and that was the colour, not the texture. You already had ideas for that so that's all good!

Final production figures could be a tad lower than actual capability because I had to adjust my production limit for food two times so there was a brief pause in food collection (I had the food limit lower than my storage capacity). However for the second year of operation, which was the first full year of operation, final figures for mussels were 540 (two storey) and 520 (single storey). Without any interruptions to increase production levels it could have been another 40-80 units possibly.

My next course of action is to place it above <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> and run it for a few years.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="314" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/">@KevinTheCynic</a> interesting. All of the buildings have the exact same output for each resource, however the resources differ slightly (seaweed is a tad higher, and scallops I think is a tad lower, but by 1 or 2 units per collection). over 500 for the year is actually more than I expected them to produce, so that is good. I wouldn't mind if they hit over 800 or even 1000 units/year, that way they are quite worth while for early games as that is the idea for them. Good fishing is what drew people to the shores of the maritimes and has been a staple food basically cultural identity since.

If you run it above <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>, it should only change the icons of the resources.

Third year of operation, final production figures for two storey, 510 units. Single storey was 580 units.

This is with Maritimes placed above <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> and I also built <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>'s water scavenger next to the buildings for something of a comparison. I didn't have a water scavenger on the map at all so I figured it would be worth putting one where it could do the most harm... err... [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/laugh.png[/img]/emoticons/laugh@2x.png 2x" title="xD" width="20" /> Well it didn't cause any crashes... or any other problems that I can see.

You mentioned somewhere earlier that you were going to include a drop-down menu for selection of the food type. Was that implemented or was it something you were still working on because if it is in the file you linked in this thread, I'm not getting the menu. I get mussels and nothing else.