Ambient Occlusion (AO)

Maybe one of you could open the AO of the apiary example and check for any clues? i'd do it myself right now but im not at home... [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]/emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" title=":(" width="20" />

I don't have photoshop, I'm a poor scamp who is using Gimp, which I hate [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]/emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" title=":(" width="20" /> . I just can't figure out the UI of Gimp, or how to do things like that. One day!

I did it myself: installed steam, downloaded Banished, installed the modkit aaaaand:

the apiary AO looks pretty normal. It does have an alpha channel. nothing spectacular. except it's only 256x256 an thus pretty low quality...

I think there is no error in our AO files except of that they are too dark<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/10211-jesta/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="10211" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/10211-jesta/">@jesta</a>. AO affects snow in Banished because Luke added the AO value to his snow rendering functions to have an elegant solution to remove snow from parts of his buildings. It's intended and creates nice effects at some roofs or under overhangs. It's also logical in a way to have less snow on parts which are surrounded by walls and so on.

So if we have too less snow on our models then because of too much AO. We can brighten it until the roofs are close to full white and it will have full snow. Or if we have a model which should have full snow without any effect by AO then we can use another material where we remove the multiplication by the AO value from this function in line 229... But I think we should not use it as workaround for too dark AO's... That's right. I use this material in the nordic mod where I want more snow here and there but I also rework the AO files from Blender. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

yeah i threw up a test mod and played around with the AO last night but even a purely white AO area for the roof wouldnt give me thick snow, still just a faded texture... so i guess thats working as intended. but some of the vanilla buildings have really thick snow in areas. for example the barn has on the top of the roof, where the two halves meet.

also necora said his road texture disappeared under snow when using a fully white AO file and he got an error. do roads maybe use a different material?

i had another look at the barn ingame: the roof has the same texture and lighting all over, but the ridge where the two halves of the roof meet has opaque snow in winter and we need to figure out why. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Snow relies on the angle of the surface. I scaled a house down so its roof is nearly horizontal and voila, its nearly white.

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_03/Unbenannt.png.72f5b39c6ab8017b0ed4a6cd40dba1f0.png[/img]

so horizontal areas get full snow, vertical areas get no snow and skewed areas get angle based amounts of snow.

Now if only <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="4" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/">@ShockPuppet</a>would show up and elaborate on this:

Quote:
On 15.1.2017 at 8:04 PM, ShockPuppet said:

I'm using AO for a variety of visual tricks, other than light/dark it's snow manipulation.

For a second there i thought i had it. But it stays white in summer aswell. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]/emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" title=":(" width="20" />

Original post below:

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_03/Unbenannt.png.44a342540871d353e36b97478c4231f8.png[/img]

And <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6662-tomsawyer/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6662" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6662-tomsawyer/">@TomSawyer</a>already knew how to do it: http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?top...1#msg24251

Steps to do this:

• copy "ModelAlphaTexture.rsc" into your "Textures" directory

• change line 1 of "Models/MaterialInstance/*Texture.rsc" (in my case "TestTexture.rsc") from "ImageBuffer resource : "Texture/ModelTexture.rsc"" to "ImageBuffer resource : "Texture/ModelAlphaTexture.rsc""

• open the texture map in GIMP/Photoshop

• make new transparent layer

• move below texture layer

• go to texture layer

• select all areas that should have thick snow on them

• use eraser at 99% opacity on selected areas

• WITH SELECTION STILL ACTIVE change to transparent layer

• fill selection with black

• result:

Texture Layer:
    [img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_03/Unbenannt2.png.35a23e97d33183874f9d265ecb5cf58d.png[/img]

Transparent Layer
    [img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_03/Unbenannt3.png.d203ffab6e5f2f77c71786ba3d308d11.png[/img]

Luke is talking about paintng an alpha channel to occlude snow: http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/2012-...g-artwork/ seems like its possible to remove snow, but not add more... [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]/emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" title=":(" width="20" />

steeper roofs on the vanilla models (tower of town hall and church) have no snow in winter aswell, so i give in: there doesnt seem to be a built in way to add more snow, just go ahead with your hacks. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

thought i could add snowbanks to the corners of my houses... [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]/emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" title=":(" width="20" />

i saw someone once ..... she was able and getting snow on walls and none on the roof ^^

it was pretty EPIC lol

Quote:
5 hours ago, Ketchup said:

i saw someone once ..... she was able and getting snow on walls and none on the roof ^^

it was pretty EPIC lol

Slink, because the next model was too close when baking AO. I read everything when looking for a clue..