BlackLiquid Forums
Ambient Occlusion (AO) - Printable Version

+- BlackLiquid Forums (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Banished General (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Mods General Discussion (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Ambient Occlusion (AO) (/showthread.php?tid=1021)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Ambient Occlusion (AO) - ShockPuppet - 01-03-2017

I made a video on AO and Banished.

Some important information:

• AO needs to use UVW channel 2

• Make sure your textures are not applied to your mesh, and that you are using just a basic light grey material. The default material in 3d studio max is fine.

• I am using 3D studio Max, but the principle is the same for all 3d editing software

• Because im using Nvidia Mental Ray renderer, I choose "Ambient Occlusion (MR)" in the video for the "Output". You will choose "Diffuse" or "Lighting Map" if you dont have an AO selection in your software. It works just the same as long as you put a white (255) light in your scene.

<div>
<iframe allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" height="270" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/t36DqgCXm7Y?feature=oembed" width="480"></iframe>

</div>

Ambient Occlusion (AO) - Ketchup - 01-04-2017

Thanks you alot Shock !!!

i have 2 questions:

i saw a light source placed... whatever on the scene ground ... Does it really have no importance where it is placed in the scene ? i would have think it should have been place in front of the building in an angle x-y and maybe at 45 degrees in the air (kinda place where the sun would have been ....)

2nd question :

i usually always texture every pieces before i move them to their designed spot so when my mesh is ok, everything is already textured out ... Do I need to save and paint everything with a grey neutral color ... do my rendering, and then cancel back the recolorations to my original textures ?

Ambient Occlusion (AO) - ShockPuppet - 01-04-2017

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3183-ketchup/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3183" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3183-ketchup/">@Ketchup</a>

The skylight can go anywhere it doesn't matter where it is placed, it is not a direction of light beam, but a full area light from every direction. 

For the materials, they are the correct grey by default, just turn off the bitmap texture while you do the render [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Ambient Occlusion (AO) - Ketchup - 01-04-2017

ok, thanks !

Ambient Occlusion (AO) - Necora - 01-05-2017

Thanks for that, but unfortunately it seems that there is not a single option that is consistent between blender and 3dsmax! 

The UV channels for example. In Blender you can add as many UV views as you wish, however they are called 'UV' then 'UV.001" "UV.002" etc. You can rename them, so when Banished looks for channel 2, does that mean it is looking for a UV map that is specifically called UV Channel 1 and UV Channel 2, or is it just the second one in the list?

I also read that the AO in Blender is not dependent on lighting in the scene, perhaps this isn't true.

The video did give me some ideas of things to play around with, so I'll see if I can get something that works.

Ambient Occlusion (AO) - ShockPuppet - 01-05-2017

Well, here's some additional information that I personally used years ago to help me in max

http://www.laurenscorijn.com/articles/ambient-occlusion-baking

Ambient Occlusion (AO) - Necora - 01-15-2017

Hi <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="4" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/">@ShockPuppet</a> would you mind sharing some screen shots of some buildings with AO applied as a texture?

Ambient Occlusion (AO) - ShockPuppet - 01-15-2017

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> sure when I'm off my phone I'll do a with and without comparison.

I'm using AO for a variety of visual tricks, other than light/dark it's snow manipulation.

Any particular area of AO interest you?

Ambient Occlusion (AO) - Necora - 01-15-2017

Well, I'm trying to figure out what I a doing wrong with mine. I am using just a white png at the moment, but would like to get a proper AO going on the buildings. The white png works, but it lacks definition, and when I added it to the new crops I made, they are really dark in the light and glowing in the dark. With buildings when I add a proper baked AO, it keeps coming out too dark, no matter what I do. I've tried removing all materials and textures, adding a plane beneath the model, adding sunlight above the model, it seems to make hardly any difference to the AO. Plus, having to load it up in game each time to see the difference is a pain. That is why if I could see a screen shot of a model, a simple house or barn will do, in 3ds max with AO applied as a texture, I can see what is meant to be dark and what is meant to be light, how dark is dark and how light is light, and can play around with my settings to get something similar. 

So for now a basic light:dark AO would be good. 

Ambient Occlusion (AO) - Kralyerg - 01-15-2017

Quote:
24 minutes ago, Necora said:

Plus, having to load it up in game each time to see the difference is a pain

You know that the modkit can see changes you make on the fly? If you load up your mod in the modkit, then Alt-Tab out, and then change something about your building, then Alt-Tab back into the game, it should have changed the building instantly. It's really handy for checking things like sprites/tooltips/drop down menu items. But it should work for model changes and textures, too.

I've never tried it with crops, but you should give it a go.