Natural Diversity

but gtx 950 is a very very good card... alot better than mine !

i have a gtx 750ti

@QueryEverything Sorry, I don't have access to my pc right now. But the settings are 1920x1080, DX11, full screen, vsync and everything else at max. Graphics card is Radeon R9 380X. 

Wow, that's a lot of things to reply to [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/tongue.png[/img]/emoticons/tongue@2x.png 2x" title=":P" width="20" />! Thank you for I'm sorry that we haven't been that active currently. <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/12323-despo20/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="12323" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/12323-despo20/">@despo20</a> is having a very busy time at his job, and I'm spending my summer trying to find a new one. Essentialy we're both a bit caught up in this game called Real Life. Ultimately it's the one that beats all other games, so please forgive us for neglecting the modding a tiny bit these days. I'm sure we'll be back in full strength soon, though probably after the summer [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />.

Quote:
On 18-7-2017 at 2:59 PM, Banished&Used said:

More like a general thing, but there seems to be some medium zoom level, where the grass disappears.

From zoomed out, to zoomed in. Initially there is grass visible, it becomes less and less, then it gets more visible again. Is this intentional?

Quote:
23 hours ago, grammycat said:

I also have the disappearing grass when zoomed out.

Quote:
On 22-7-2017 at 3:26 AM, QueryEverything said:

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/18037-banishedused/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="18037" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/18037-banishedused/">@banished&Used</a> I had the same zoom imagery with the grass as well, at one stage it disappeared, then came back.

I put it down to my system and my game settings, that it just simply wasn't 'dense' enough for the game to show me the grass on screen.  

I will check my game settings, but for comparison sake - would you be able to post a screenshot of your game's video settings, please?  So we can see if it is a way that the game has been setup?

Menu/Options/Video

Otherwise, possibly something that <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="11115" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/">@Bartender</a> could answer - husband* took a look, he suggested that it could be a couple of things, which I will PM Bartender about, but because it may be something in our settings first, let's check them - whilst I PM Bartender. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

*husband is a software developer with 2 decades developing simulators, so he's not a Banished expert, but he does help where he can on 3DS & texturing answers [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

This is an issue I'm aware of, and unfortunately, it's the best I could do given the circumstances. The problem is that the grass needs to be detailed enough at the closest zoom level in order to look good. If you zoom out however, it becomes smaller and ultimately dissappears. This was the case in v1.0 of the mod. From a visual perspective this wasn't that bad, you wouldn't be able to see every single blade of grass when looking from an aeroplane either. Gameplay wise I found it a problem however, since it's quite important to see what resources are available in a certain area without having to zoom in.

*This next paragraph gets a bit technical, my apologies.*

My solution was to create several detail levels for the grass textures. There is only one way in which this 'MipMap' type of solution can be made to work in Banished as far as I am aware, which is to assign them to specific LOD (Limit of Detail) models. This is what you see when the grass suddenly reappears: at that point it transitions to a new LOD model with a less detailed texture so that it shows again in the game. Ideally, I would make enough LODs so that these transitions would go smoothly and unnoticable. However, Banished only supports a maximum of three detail levels. If you look closely, you will see that the grass goes through a transition twice, from one to two and from two to three. I tried to make these transitions go a bit more smoothly by making different instances of the grass that shift at different zoom distances, so that the change is not too abrupt.

Unfortunately, there isn't really any perfect solution that I see at the moment. I chose for the current approach because I feel that gameplay quality should be more important than visual quality. If the general opinion however would be that the grass fading out after some distance is not a problem, then I wouldn't mind changing it back.

Another possibility would be a complete redesign of the grass, for example in the way that Red made his grasses. This would add a lot of polygons to the models however, and would probably make the already existing performance issues much, much bigger.

Quote:
On 21-7-2017 at 10:43 PM, stiles said:

i actually think that rebellious crop addin is causeing the spawning of those berries. at what year do you start to notice the blueberry spreading and taking over? i dropped my game back to the original nat div due to the lag times.as a added note ,KEVIN, when you do the screenshots,it is nice to show some stats sometimes. say like population and housing stats or a long food graph. i post mine at WOB. right now i am working to use all my mods in 1 map.

As Query correctly pointed out, there is no link between the berries and the rebellious crops mechanic. We've already determined before that the Berries are caused by a conflict with Necora's Pine mod (the berry bushes you see in his screenshots are from that mod, not from NatDiv). This will be fixed in the final release of NatDiv.

I'd just like to say once again, that while the abundance of blueberries is due to the interaction of a few mods that includes Natural Diversity and appears to be unique to my specific mod collection/load order, this is not because of Natural Diversity. The root cause seems to be with the Pine mod and Natural Diversity has simply allowed a dormant problem within the Pine mod to became noticeable. If I ran my game without the Pine mod, the blueberry problem would probably not exist.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="11115" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/">@Bartender</a> is being very generous & considerate of us, the players, by offering to fix a problem that is not even in his mod.

I thought it might be a mod feature, and it's certainly not a deal breaker.  Considering how much grass is on the map, higher polygons might make the mod unusable for those with lower end systems and make large/huge maps impossible in bigger cities.  Your mod makes for much more challenge in an early game-coming up with the thatch-so it's definitely a keeper for me.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="11115" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/">@Bartender</a> thank you very much for your answer [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />  I know I appreciated it, it makes sense, and am relieved it's not a bug [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

Don't be in too much of a rush fix the Blueberries, we may never find out who wins the Battle of the Poyens, then what will <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="314" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/">@KevinTheCynic</a> be able to regale us with, and what will his pumpkins do?  The suspense... the drama ... we must know that battle ... !!

Quote:
9 hours ago, Bartender said:

Another possibility would be a complete redesign of the grass, for example in the way that Red made his grasses. This would add a lot of polygons to the models however, and would probably make the already existing performance issues much, much bigger.

i am so sorry ^^ i have a Ryzen7 16 cores boosted at 3650Mhz with 32gRAM. i cannot technically feel what other little pc can feel [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wacko.png[/img]/emoticons/wacko@2x.png 2x" title=":S" width="20" />

You don't have to be sorry [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/tongue.png[/img]/emoticons/tongue@2x.png 2x" title=":P" width="20" />! Your grasses are beautiful, and for your mod they work perfectly. It's just that NatDiv spawns so many grasses, that using a similar model would result in way too many polygons [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />.

With the new fish trap and reaper's boat, apart from quay buildings, they are the only ones which you can use on small streams and they look gorgeous. However they both don't produce much. Are they more designed as an aesthetic building, which combines workplace&bridge?

Getting 200-300 fish and 20-50 reeds per year.

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_07/5974a105f0c58_fishoutput.thumb.jpg.9d28dbd2e378d917e52abae873091114.jpg[/img]

Hey <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9529-queryeverything/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9529" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9529-queryeverything/">@QueryEverything</a> you still around? Something interesting that I just discovered about my problem with blueberries. It only occurs on the [<abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>] Very Large map size, I have been testing a few mods on the vanilla Large map size and there is no problem with blueberries at all. Because I am basically greedy I have been using the largest map size I can get which just happens to be the Very Large size provided by Colonial Charter. So the blueberry problem is a little more complex than I first thought, it seems to be a combination of some of the mods I have PLUS the Very Large map... quite strange really as I would have thought the map size would not have any impact on the natural resources.

EDIT: another point of interest that I would think has no bearing on the problem but ya never know... I am using a vanilla climate and not the <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> climates I usually use.