Natural Diversity

While I don't have screenshots of NatDiv buildings for <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9529-queryeverything/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9529" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9529-queryeverything/">@QueryEverything</a>, I do have another example of Rebellious Crops to offer. This time it's the potatoes that decided to escape the confines of the crop field!

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_07/596c4efb2fb70_Poyens-NatDiv2-RebelliousPotato.jpg.ede7e558e0f4ece31e572461c2e86056.jpg" data-fileid="2695">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_07/596c4efb8712f_Poyens-NatDiv2-RebelliousPotato.thumb.jpg.e86c4ce8b5100570f008d41d3cb8ba12.jpg[/img]</a>

And just as some confirmation that Rebellious Crops is working for orchards, the following picture shows some cherry trees that have spread beyond the orchard. It's interesting to see that the wilding orchard trees (I am totally stealing the New Zealand term for these plants as mentioned by <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/7020-catty-cb/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="7020" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/7020-catty-cb/">@catty-cb</a>) seem to have different growth rates to those trees being tended in the orchard i.e. it's not particularly obvious in the image but the wilding trees seem to take much longer to grow to full size and they appear to have individually different rates of growth. The wilding cherry trees, except the smallest one visible, all appeared around the same time but seem to have grown at different speeds (although that could entirely be me mis-remembering when they initially sprouted).

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" data-fileid="2696" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_07/596c62115774e_Poyens-NatDiv2-RebelliousCherryTree.jpg.a47a07e742cb300796f05809219be758.jpg">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_07/596c6211a1999_Poyens-NatDiv2-RebelliousCherryTree.thumb.jpg.ff87036acc66939b134e73e24bbedc8f.jpg[/img]</a>

And just for <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9529-queryeverything/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9529" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9529-queryeverything/">@QueryEverything</a>, some gratitious NatDiv screenshots... These NatDiv buildings have been in place since the earliest years of the Poyens settlement because I needed the thatch and also because the food resources were a very useful compliment to the limited production I had (I'm using the Vegetable Garden Start mod which limits me to one crop type at the start).

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" data-fileid="2697" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_07/596c630321c2a_Poyens-NatDiv2-Thresher.jpg.eaf26e4093e760ad174650cc2417e023.jpg">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_07/596c63035a474_Poyens-NatDiv2-Thresher.thumb.jpg.79ecc9237398f0817952a866010af54b.jpg[/img]</a>

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" data-fileid="2698" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_07/596c632eb9056_Poyens-NatDiv2-buildings.jpg.e56157c04176ab1620776dc34ca032ad.jpg">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_07/596c632f198fe_Poyens-NatDiv2-buildings.thumb.jpg.8fdff653ee8a36a4967fd9698a028f8e.jpg[/img]</a>

Quote:
3 hours ago, KevinTheCynic said:

And just as some confirmation that Rebellious Crops is working for orchards, the following picture shows some cherry trees that have spread beyond the orchard. It's interesting to see that the wilding orchard trees (I am totally stealing the New Zealand term for these plants as mentioned by <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/7020-catty-cb/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="7020" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/7020-catty-cb/">@catty-cb</a>) seem to have different growth rates to those trees being tended in the orchard i.e. it's not particularly obvious in the image but the wilding trees seem to take much longer to grow to full size and they appear to have individually different rates of growth. The wilding cherry trees, except the smallest one visible, all appeared around the same time but seem to have grown at different speeds (although that could entirely be me mis-remembering when they initially sprouted).

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" data-fileid="2696" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_07/596c62115774e_Poyens-NatDiv2-RebelliousCherryTree.jpg.a47a07e742cb300796f05809219be758.jpg">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_07/596c6211a1999_Poyens-NatDiv2-RebelliousCherryTree.thumb.jpg.ff87036acc66939b134e73e24bbedc8f.jpg[/img]</a>

It makes sense, with crop seeds, the seed has obviously been blown away or something when the farmer was planting them, but with fruit trees a ripe fruit that's been missed and fallen from the tree could start to grow anytime so them being different sizes would reflect real life

PS: It looks real good ... thanks I really do appreciate the work you guys are doing even if I don't say it as much as I should  [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/58462f70003fe_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic553.png[/img]

Those screenshots look fab <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="314" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/">@KevinTheCynic</a>[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

As for the marauding berries, after my experiences with real life Blackberries, I can say that your Blueberries are probably closely related to my blackberries [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

I had bushes there, and there, and there, and there - and still got a huge one over there.  The sheep love them, so that's ok. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />    

In game, I've found that as long as I clear an area completely I don't get regrowth, but if there's anything, anything at all - the little creepers start coming back, whether it's blueberries, grasses, mushrooms, etc - it doesn't matter - and that's how it's supposed to be, and I like it, that after ignoring an area for a time, I come back and there's wild growth happening, it's quite a nice little 'thing'.

I did an experiment once, a few weeks back.

- Small, Valleys map.  

- Laid out 4 large stock piles + 1 large barn, placing 1 in each Nth/Sth/East/West quadrant,

- Flatten tool, went nuts.

Just flattened everything, cleared the entire map, letting all the resources be gathered into the stockpiles and the barns.  

Nothing, not a thing grew back until I started planting foresters again.

Map 2, as above - though this time, created nodes.  Would flatten in the natural round sections of the mountains,  but leave the flats areas.

Within a couple of years the nodes would be starting to show regrowth, creeping inwards from the growth that I hadn't cut back from outside the node.

I don't have the Blueberry rampage that you've had, but I've definitely had some overgrowth, but I didn't mind it as I just treated it like free food [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" /> 

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9529-queryeverything/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9529" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9529-queryeverything/">@QueryEverything</a> The blueberry issue I'm having is still a big problem but I'm starting to think that it's a quirk of my particular mod collection because nobody else appears to be having the same rampaging berry-marauders that I have! At some point I will have to start a new map to check if it occurs again but for the moment I am quite taken with how Poyens is growing so I don't have any particular desire to start a new town just yet. I'll have to get some screenshots of Poyens cluttered lakefront, it's a mix of the over-water buildings/structures from <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>, Discrepancy and Necora

And speaking of screenshots, I was a little worried about how they would look on other computers - my monitor died recently so I'm making do with a small TV screen until I get the replacement. It does the job but it doesn't have the screen resolution and subsequent clarity that a proper computer monitor has. While I know I have a good graphics card and that will be taking care of everything, the TV makes everything look slightly washed out and a tiny bit blurry so it's good to hear that they don't look as dull as they appear to me because of my bad screen!

As can be seen from the screenie with all the NatDiv buildings, I tend to favour the organic, eclectic (some would say chaotic [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />) approach to town growth rather than having everything planned! 

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/7020-catty-cb/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="7020" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/7020-catty-cb/">@catty-cb</a> I agree, it's quite a good reflection of what happens in real life and it's something else that makes NatDiv such a great mod - these little touches are a really interesting but also enjoyable enhancement to the normal gameplay. I am quite in awe of these little touches to the game and the cleverness of the modders who create them. It's really easy to get blown away by all the big things in a mod - new buildings, new crops and so on, I'm guilty of wanting to collect them all and have them in my settlements - but it's these little touches that keep me looking around in game rather than just "playing" it, you just never know what you might see.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="314" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/">@KevinTheCynic</a> I would like (love) to see those screenshots, gimme those Poyens!! [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" /> 

More like a general thing, but there seems to be some medium zoom level, where the grass disappears.

From zoomed out, to zoomed in. Initially there is grass visible, it becomes less and less, then it gets more visible again. Is this intentional?

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="314" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/">@KevinTheCynic</a> How did you get that massive amount of blueberries? Could use some food boost, as well [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />

Using Necoras Pine Set & RKs Garden Wall Utility, too. Maybe they prevent a blueberry invasion by spawning other stuff?

Here are two screenies with storage and landscape 14 years into a new game. (not even 400 blueberries [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]/emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" title=":(" width="20" /> )

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_07/596e0506e71d0_landyear13.jpg.a976f1f63348bba457c28e2540f62432.jpg" data-fileid="2708">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_07/596e05075c9c6_landyear13.thumb.jpg.4e4fe874e3cf904aeef3af9f60faccec.jpg[/img]</a>

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_07/596e049e804ab_goodsyear14.jpg.c57097fd6a4314cd0710a1ba42de366a.jpg" data-fileid="2707">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_07/596e049ef0e46_goodsyear14.thumb.jpg.9266229573ca7a439bcf3994ed2f2636.jpg[/img]</a>

Another screenshot of Rebellious Crops in action.

Valiant Wilding Pumpkins Prepare to Defend Poyens from the Blueberry Invaders!

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_07/597062df3674e_Poyens-NatDiv2-RebelliousPumpkin.jpg.8885c92d2180ad36a77844ebcba586f0.jpg" data-fileid="2718">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_07/597062df92b03_Poyens-NatDiv2-RebelliousPumpkin.thumb.jpg.168ffa03eec8c7291e3884f0b9f5e78b.jpg[/img]</a>

Yep, all those little bushes at the top of the picture are blueberries [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/ohmy.png[/img]/emoticons/ohmy@2x.png 2x" title=":o" width="20" />

I'll admit that by now it's quite obvious that the Rebellious Crops part of NatDiv2 is working properly but I saw this in game and it looks to me like the pumpkins are gathering their forces to make a sortie against the blueberry invaders [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/rolleyes.gif[/img]/emoticons/rolleyes@2x.png 2x" title="9_9" width="20" />

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9529-queryeverything/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9529" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9529-queryeverything/">@QueryEverything</a> made an observation about my blueberry problem that may well be the underlying cause. She asked if I was making use of any of the respawn mods and I am, Renewable Resources by Kralyerg. I didn't consider it because it basically lets you build a shack that will spawn stone, iron, coal and dense trees so I never thought it might affect other plant life. I'd been using it for a while because I always seem to run short of logs after about 100 years which is about where I am now. So far I haven't built any of the Renewable Resources shacks but the fact remains, the mod is active in my game.

So [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/58462f70003fe_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic553.png[/img] to QueryEverything for thinking of other possibilities. At some point I'll start another map with the same seed, start conditions etc. etc. but with this mod disabled and see what happens - although at the moment I'm enjoying Poyens too much to stop it now, even with the blueberry problem [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/laugh.png[/img]/emoticons/laugh@2x.png 2x" title="xD" width="20" />

As an aside, I made an album of screenshots focusing on Poyens' lakefront but it also shows many buildings from other mods I'm using including those from NatDiv. I'm still getting the descriptions for all the images sorted out after I totally screwed up the album creation the first time due to my crappy internet connection and me trying to upload images while I was downloading some new software updates. My second attempt at creating an album for Poyens can be found here: -

<iframe data-embedcontent="" frameborder="0" src="<___base_url___>/index.php?/gallery/album/19-poyens/&do=embed"></iframe>

i actually think that rebellious crop addin is causeing the spawning of those berries. at what year do you start to notice the blueberry spreading and taking over? i dropped my game back to the original nat div due to the lag times.as a added note ,KEVIN, when you do the screenshots,it is nice to show some stats sometimes. say like population and housing stats or a long food graph. i post mine at WOB. right now i am working to use all my mods in 1 map.