Natural Diversity

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9077-anni71/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9077" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9077-anni71/">@anni71</a>Haha, I think that would get very confusing when using the two mods at the same time! I might look into it at some point though [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />.

Meanwhile, I am overjoyed with all the positive attention that this mod received after I released version 1.0. While the suggestions for improvements are rolling in (which I am very glad to receive too!), it is time to seriously start thinking about what the next update is going to bring. Ofcourse there will be optimizations, fixes and updates of what is already there, but the most exciting part would be the new content!

Therefore, I present the first sneak peek for v1.1: the Berry Bush.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_04/Blueberries.png.a55e2d4a559145107326b0efb1f769a7.png" data-fileid="2060">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_04/Blueberries.thumb.png.b8228bc006127f103e89533420c68fdb.png[/img]</a>

Some of you may have wondered why the berry bush is the only plant resource that did not receive an upgrade yet in v1.0. The reason for this is that I was unsure of how to approach this in the most realistic way. Aside from visuals, there are two issues that bother me in the original berry bush.

1. Berries can be harvested year round, while the bushes should not have fruits in winter.

2. When villagers harvest the berries, they cut down the whole bush.

Now the first problem could be resolved by making the berry bush die in cold weather, but this would not be realistic either, as berry bushes are perennials and live several years. The second problem is one that is hardcoded into the game; resources simply get destroyed the moment they get harvested. A few days ago I finally found the perfect solution to both problems, partly inspired by how DarkBibou handled the wild fruit trees in his Tree of Life mod.

In summer, this new Berry Bush will drop berries on the ground, which can be harvested by the gatherer. In winter, The Bush will lose its leaves, and will not drop any berries. The bush itself can be harvested too, but will only give firewood.

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_04/BlueberriesDrop.png.ca71375750d214b56fb50af88798dd2a.png[/img]

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_04/BlueberriesW.png.6f4cd0c4656f72c00a8e2e09b527ab94.png" data-fileid="2062">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_04/BlueberriesW.thumb.png.e35d89c0706dd6eeab9c2a4fc6bc4d54.png[/img]</a>

Quote:
1 hour ago, anni71 said:

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="11115" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/">@Bartender</a> your plants are so beautiful, that I wish, we can get a deco-version too. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/584634bc7192d_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic503.png[/img]

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3183-ketchup/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3183" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3183-ketchup/">@Ketchup</a> is import a .png-file the only one option or is ist possible to import a .dds-file too? I ask because in SIMS sometimes is it similar. In Photoshop the is the image clear ans sharp and after import as .png is it in game very blurry, without rescale or so what. And when I'm exporting and opening this file in graphic-program again, it is also blurry.  Just with .dds-import or -export I haven't this problem. So .png <span>isn't always the best choice. Sry for my bad english. </span>[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/blush.png[/img]/emoticons/blush@2x.png 2x" title=":$" width="20" />

i have no idea if a .dds will work but i know something, you are not obligated to only choose .png, the game accept more format than hust one. jpg works, tga works, bmp works....

but i cannot tell if the .dds works though.

it accept more than one format, but a rule though is clear: it only accept images with sides in pixels of 32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8298-stiles/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="8298" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8298-stiles/">@stiles</a>, I know. The lite version is it, what I'm using. What I mean is, the flowers (poppies, camomille, echinacea? asw.) are so beautiful, they would be nice for flower beds. 

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="11115" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/">@Bartender</a>, not as the same source, <span>so as to avoid complications or confusions. </span> <span>It doesn't have to be today or tomorrow. It would be nice to be able to have it as a deco, someday. </span>[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wub.png[/img]/emoticons/wub@2x.png 2x" title=":x" width="20" /> It can't be enough deco flowers, bushes and trees in game. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

Btw. the Bushes are soo nice too! [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/58462f70003fe_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic553.png[/img]

Quote:
30 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

i have no idea if a .dds will work but i know something, you are not obligated to only choose .png, the game accept more format than hust one. jpg works, tga works, bmp works....

but i cannot tell if the .dds works though.

it accept more than one format, but a rule though is clear: it only accept images with sides in pixels of 32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048.

<span>DDS files have been specially designed for textures in games. I have not been involved in Banished myself, so I asked you. And yes, 32, 64, 128 ... etc. are the common sizes for the maps.</span> [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="11115" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/">@Bartender</a> so the bush is now a tree that spawns fruit? Nice idea, do you include it as another tree line or as a separate thing like the grass?

Also, I think what <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9077-anni71/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9077" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9077-anni71/">@anni71</a> is getting at is ghost decorations either included in the mod or as stand alone. To be honest, I don't think you'll be able to get away for very long making such cool things without making them into ghost decorations [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" /> 

Quote:
7 minutes ago, Necora said:

Also, I think what <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9077-anni71/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9077" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9077-anni71/">@anni71</a> is getting at is ghost decorations either included in the mod or as stand alone. To be honest, I don't think you'll be able to get away for very long making such cool things without making them into ghost decorations [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" /> 

Exactly what I mean! [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/58462f70003fe_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic553.png[/img][img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

Quote:
22 minutes ago, anni71 said:

<span>DDS files have been specially designed for textures in games. I have not been involved in Banished myself, so I asked you. And yes, 32, 64, 128 ... etc. are the common sizes for the maps.</span> [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />

i dont know... i need to find a .dds and test it in game

Quote:
20 minutes ago, Necora said:

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="11115" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/">@Bartender</a> so the bush is now a tree that spawns fruit? Nice idea, do you include it as another tree line or as a separate thing like the grass?

Yes, in a sense it functions like another type of tree. I tried to see if it was possible to have resources that are spawned by trees spawn something themselves in turn, but I couldn't get that to work. Therefore these will indeed be a separate spawn entity like the grass.

Haha, well let's avoid the riots then. The idea hadn't really occured to me, but I can imagine that it'd be nice to have. I'll add a Decorations Pack to my list for v1.1 [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />.

Quote:
10 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

i dont know... i need to find a .dds and test it in game

i just tested : i used Paint.net and exported 1 of my .png to .dds and i changed the codeTexture.rsc file to search for a claypit.dds instead of claypit.png ... and gave an error : cant find the image file.

so it is a no go, unfortunatly [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]/emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" title=":(" width="20" />

Quote:
1 minute ago, Ketchup said:

i just tested : i used Paint.net and exported 1 of my .png to .dds and i changed the codeTexture.rsc file to search for a claypit.dds instead of claypit.png ... and gave an error : cant find the image file.

so it is a no go, unfortunatly [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]/emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" title=":(" width="20" />

Oh, that is sh.. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]/emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" title=":(" width="20" />