Natural Diversity

Oh and if you could write a list of all of the different spawn values and what they do that would be great [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />

Quote:
6 minutes ago, Necora said:

You added a spawn to the natural resource rock to make the grass work? That is... odd.

Very odd indeed. When I tried it without this it gave me an error that signified that there were too many entries in the list for WeakResourceDescription in StartConditions.rsc, indicating that Luke might have put a hard cap of 3 entries on that. The only thing I can think of is that the fact that the fourth template gets called somewhere else too, somehow mitigates this error.

as for the spawning variables, I'm taking notes of all my research, so once I got them figured out I will share my results [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />

Quote:
12 minutes ago, Bartender said:

I'm taking notes of all my research,

As a scientist you'd think that I do the same... but I'm terrible at that.

So you said that if you remove the naturalresourcegrass from the weakresource list, then it doesn't spawn? What happens if you harvest all of the rocks on the map, will grass eventually stop spawning?

I'm loving your work here, anything that increases the diversity of the landscape is good in my books.

Quote:
9 hours ago, Necora said:

As a scientist you'd think that I do the same... but I'm terrible at that.

So you said that if you remove the naturalresourcegrass from the weakresource list, then it doesn't spawn? What happens if you harvest all of the rocks on the map, will grass eventually stop spawning?

I hated keeping a lab journal during my studies, but I'm a very forgetful person, so nowadays I take notes and make lists of literally everything [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />.

This is a good question by the way, I hadn't thought of testing that! I just did, and even after removing all the rocks and waiting for 5 years, the grasses were still spawning naturally. Their behaviour also doesn't seem dependent on the rocks, I regularly get big meadow areas with no rocks close by.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/153-feneris/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="153" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/153-feneris/">@Feneris</a> Thanks! That is exactly the philosophy that's behind this whole project [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

I'm following the conversation with interest!

But unfortunately I don't have enough knowledge of the game code to be of help [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/mellow.png[/img]/emoticons/mellow@2x.png 2x" title=":|" width="20" />

I'm rooting for you guys! To improve the game more and more [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />

I'm a little late to this, but I can shed a little light on the WeakComponentDescription problem.  The <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> "Wild Things" map has like 30 things listed there, so there's no actual cap.

The game won't compile things that are *only* listed in the WeakComponentDescription list.  Normally, if you have, say, a building that you list in your mods Resources file, when it's compiling, it sees that your building is referencing the things its producing and it compiles those as well. So you don't have to list every single item in your Resources file.

But, for some reason, it kind of ignores the things listed in WeakComponentDescription.  So when you try and load that starting condition, it's looking for something that isn't there.  But then, when you added it to the Rock spawn, it does see it, because it does go through the Rocks file and sees the other files it references.

So, to fix this, all you need to do is to add your NaturalResourceGrass.rsc to the list in your mods Resources file. Then it will be compiled correctly and you won't get that error when you load the map.

Did that make any sense at all? [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Haha, I knew there should be an easier way to do this! And at least this one makes total sense. Thanks for the explanation <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/">@Kralyerg</a> [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />!

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/">@Kralyerg</a> you are the boss! [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/cool.png[/img]/emoticons/cool@2x.png 2x" title="B|" width="20" />

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/">@Kralyerg</a> is the Master of the Code [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />