Natural Diversity

Quote:
11 hours ago, estherhb said:

The most basic buildings in the game only require materials that can be gathered off of the ground by laborers. I think it is important that those do not require another structure to manufacture anything.

I think the Bartender grass is like a tree, so you can take it with laborers.

Very nice work @Bartender!!! [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/58462f70003fe_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic553.png[/img]

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/2413-elemental/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="2413" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/2413-elemental/">@elemental</a> Someone else suggested reeds as well (they are used for thatch as well indeed). I have done some tests with it but don't have any satisfying model for it so far. I definitely intend to have them in a future update!

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6-estherhb/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6-estherhb/">@estherhb</a> I completely agree! As despo mentioned, the Grasses can indeed be harvested without having the building. I added a menu option for this, just like the 'harvest trees', 'harvest stone' etc.

Currently I am trying to package the mod so I can release v1.0 beta, but I'm getting some weird errors that I don't quite know how to solve yet. Interestingly, the mod functions completely fine when I load it in the toolkit, but when I package it and try to load a map with the mod enabled, I get errors. The first is a 'KernellBase.dll' error indicating a 'numeric overflow', while the second indicates that a 'weak pointer' is returning NULL.

(If anyone with knowledge of these things could help me it would be greatly appreciated).

Hey <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="11115" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/">@Bartender</a> did you have a go at playing around with getting things to spawn in specific areas of the map? You mention reeds, <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/">@Kralyerg</a> once told me how <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> got reeds to spawn only by the waters edge by playing with the spawn height code but for some reason it doesn't work when I try to do it on the beaver dam. Just wondering if you had any luck with it. I'd love to get beaver dams only by the water, and perhaps some other things like chanterelles only on slopes. 

I'm a little confused at this point.

Do your grassy meadows spawn automatically at the start of the game or do you need to build them in the same way that we build Red's fodder fields? If they are automatic, does this affect other mods/start conditions/etc?

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> Yes I did, and it worked for me. I did it the same way as I got the grasses to spawn naturally, but changed the minHeight to -0.8 and the maxHeight to -0.4. I have not tried it on resources that get spawned by other resources however, so I'm not sure if it works for that.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/2413-elemental/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="2413" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/2413-elemental/">@elemental</a> I'm sorry if I caused any confusion! The grasses do indeed spawn automatically at the start of the game. I haven't done any tests yet on how this affects other mods (that is what the beta release will be for), but I'm afraid it's bound to conflict with some of them. I'll have to see what I can do in terms of compatibility based on the feedback I get.

Meanwhile I managed to solve my errors! Now I'm just fixing the last few tiny things before I'll upload the Beta!

Quote:
3 hours ago, Bartender said:

Meanwhile I managed to solve my errors!

Great! [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/58462f70003fe_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic553.png[/img]

Thanks for clearing that up. You might need to make a version that doesn't include auto-spawn.

I still intend to make a visuals only version, I will just have to see how to make that work exactly with the thatch requirements. If it's not spawning naturally, then I can't make it a basic requirement for buildings, and if it's not a requirement for buildings then there is no point in having it. Quite a conundrum.

as for the full mod: after solving my former error, I am currently puzzled by yet another. While my packaged mod works perfectly fine now in the developers version of the game, it gives an error when I try to load it in my steam version. Both are the latest beta version (1.0.7b), so that should not be the problem. Does anyone have experience with this kind of thing? Since I can't do troubleshooting in the steam version, I'm kind of at a loss as to how to solve this issue.

Quote:
1 hour ago, elemental said:

Thanks for clearing that up. You might need to make a version that doesn't include auto-spawn.

It depends how they are coded. If they spawn through the trees, then any new addition to the natural resources that appear at the start of the game is going to cause a conflict with any other natural resource addition by another mod that also appears at the start of the game in the same way. There is only 1 place in the code, as far as I am aware, that we can use to introduce things through the trees. So for example, you can't use my Pine Set with the Wild Flora mod from WOB because you will either get the wild flax etc. from that mod at the start, or the wild animals and things from the Pine Set at the start, depending on which you load on top. This is why when I released the trees as a separate thing, they only overwrote a small part of the code, just the tree models, so you should still be able to use them with things like the wild flax mod or <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>.

From what I remember (too lazy to go back through the thread), the grass here will spawn from a new instance in the actual start condition file, not the trees? In that case, it will only conflict with other mods that change that start condition file, which I think is only <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> and perhaps the North. I can't remember any others that change the start condition.

Quote:
1 hour ago, Bartender said:

as for the full mod: after solving my former error, I am currently puzzled by yet another. While my packaged mod works perfectly fine now in the developers version of the game, it gives an error when I try to load it in my steam version. Both are the latest beta version (1.0.7b), so that should not be the problem. Does anyone have experience with this kind of thing? Since I can't do troubleshooting in the steam version, I'm kind of at a loss as to how to solve this issue.

You have to make sure that everything you have changed in the mod kit, even if it is located in the Resource folder, is copied into your 'NaturalDiversity' folder. Otherwise, when it is compiled, it will not be included. It will work in the mod kit, because the changes are in the mod kit files, but it won't transfer these changes with the mod when packaged up if they are not in the NaturalDiversity files. So for example if you change any of the materials, copy them into NaturalDiversity/Material (or what ever the route is). Also, if you do change a material or something, make sure you re-name it so it is specific to your mod otherwise anything else that refers to that material will use your changes. Also, another hint, depending on what it is, if it is a change that is not referred to by one of the template files or a sub file of them, then you have to specifically list it in the NaturalDiversityResources.rsc or it won't get included. Such as changes to an existing resource file or addition of a natural resource that isn't linked to anything in the toolbar needs a specific reference. For example, I have 'Template/NaturalResourceHemp.rsc' and 'Template/NaturalResourceFlax.rsc' to make sure that hemp and flax seeds also show up in the mod as well as the wild versions.

So a collaborative wild plants set might be an option in the future, now that more modders are adding plants.