Natural Diversity

He sure is!

Meanwhile it's time for another sneak peek! Probably one of the last ones before beta release, as I am finishing up the last bits and pieces before I can deliver a well polished first version. I still have many things on my list that I want to add or improve, but I have to draw a line for myself somewhere [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/tongue.png[/img]/emoticons/tongue@2x.png 2x" title=":P" width="20" />. If not I would well be capable of working to infinity and beyond, without ever releasing anything because I never quite feel that it's finished.

Anyway, on to the content! The first thing I have plunged myself into this week is designing a building for the Thatcher. After several failed attemps, my conclusion is that buildings are hard. For the moment I have chosen to use the apiary example as a template, and adapt it to my wishes. This is going ok for now, but it's not in a showable state yet.

What I can show are the final two resource overhauls (for now). The first is Oniovation, consisting of two onion colour variants. The second is the Root of All-ternation (another reason why I should finish up; I'm running out of puns). This one consists of a turnip, two carrot variants and three radish variants. The radishes will be annual roots, while the carrots and turnip are perennial.

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_04/Oniovation.png.ae97ce5985ac67dd3debf7211c8e46e9.png[/img][img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_04/RootofAllternation.png.1aa262d6afd4b438d8bd02919959f8f4.png[/img]

Forest food suddenly sounds much nicer than it previously did. You got a like for the puns alone. I'd give you another for the pics if I could. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

I'll just pretend that it's two likes [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />!

Here's the very very last sneek peak (or sneak peek if you will), introducting the thatcher's shed:

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_04/Thatcher.png.0f76742e14448b1e1abed977a0d10176.png" data-fileid="1970">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_04/Thatcher.thumb.png.4e06d62c1bbea5cf2553506e144e30b9.png[/img]</a>

I'm not overly proud of it, but it will do for the time being. As you can see I kept the style as close to vanilla as possible, as I was afraid of creating a visual dissonance if I were to experiment with new textures. I might update this one day, but for now I feel like returning to natural things.

With this building, I have completed all meshes that are going to be in v1.0! I am currently testing the spawnrates (balancing them is turning out to be difficult), after which I will release this into the wild!

It matches vanilla perfectly. But where will your thatch be used?

Quote:
23 minutes ago, elemental said:

It matches vanilla perfectly. But where will your thatch be used?

I would like to use it as a construction cost [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Currently its only use is as a construction material indeed. The vanilla buildings that have thatched roofs (such as the wooden houses, storage barn, etc) and the new thatcher's shed will have it as a requirement.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6338-discrepancy/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6338" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6338-discrepancy/">@Discrepancy</a> it would be great to have other mods using the thatch as well! I will make sure to share the relevant information about filenames and such upon release.

It would be great to see other mods use it. I guess it makes more sense for some buildings to need thatch rather than iron. Pity there is a limit of only 3 different building materials per building though.

I don't know a lot about thatch, but aren't some water reeds used as thatch? Could be interesting to have a reed farm (bigger than the <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> version) that grows reeds/thatch. Another job for <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6338-discrepancy/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6338" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6338-discrepancy/">@Discrepancy</a>, maybe? Or if you are both interested in a reed farm, perhaps the two of you could collaborate on it.

The most basic buildings in the game only require materials that can be gathered off of the ground by laborers. I think it is important that those do not require another structure to manufacture anything.

Actually that's a very good point. Didn't think of that. But thatch could still be a building material for buildings other than basic vanilla.

Quote:
11 hours ago, Bartender said:

Currently its only use is as a construction material indeed. The vanilla buildings that have thatched roofs (such as the wooden houses, storage barn, etc) and the new thatcher's shed will have it as a requirement.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6338-discrepancy/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6338" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6338-discrepancy/">@Discrepancy</a> it would be great to have other mods using the thatch as well! I will make sure to share the relevant information about filenames and such upon release.

Someone has come very (very) late to the Vikings (tv series) party and I've been looking at the beautiful buildings, and did some googling for some other ideas, and came across some amazing buildings, and went further afield to other Iceland, and primarily icy countries and have seen some gorgeous places where they are covered in thatching, hay etc and they would be stunning recreated in Banished.  Not to mention some of the outer areas of England, Scotland and Wales, the beautiful Medieval buildings, still standing now, still with thatched roofs.  

Hubby is Welsh and we took the 'locals tour' of the UK when we were there 10 years ago and the scenery was divine!  And the beautiful farmlets with the large houses, and smaller out buildings etc ...  

Yes please, thatched cottages [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />