Watching or Listening to anything right now?

Quote:
11 hours ago, elemental said:

Double J was well before my time. But I did hop on board after they'd gone to the other capitals but before they went regional. For that we can thank Keating. He loved the J's.

Yeah Double J was not a station that I had any connection to because they only broadcast in Sydney and I was on the other side of the country. I was living in Sydney in the mid-80s and by that time they had changed to 2JJJ and were morphing into Triple J, however they weren't any better than the other stations in my opinion and I didn't listen to them much (my personal fav Sydney station at the time was Triple M with the likes of Doug Mulray & Johnno Coleman as DJs).

By the time Triple J had began broadcasting nationwide I was living in Kalgoorlie and when you have two radio stations, one local and one the government owned national broadcaster, Triple J was something pretty damned new & amazing for most folks in a country town. Triple J wasn't anything new to me because I had lived in a a few other places by then (Melbourne, Canberra, Perth, Sydney) but for those people who'd only lived in Kalgoorlie or thereabouts it was a big deal.

All these other people must think we're crazy, talking about a radio station. But commercial radio was mind-numbingly boring and the Jays had swearing DJs and songs with rude words in them and songs and bands that you've never heard of before - and no ads! What else could young people want! [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

I also remember Uncle Dougie (who started out on Double J, surprise surprise) and his various characters. Some of his old stuff is on youtube.

Quote:
15 hours ago, elemental said:

All these other people must think we're crazy, talking about a radio station. But commercial radio was mind-numbingly boring and the Jays had swearing DJs and songs with rude words in them and songs and bands that you've never heard of before - and no ads! What else could young people want! [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

I also remember Uncle Dougie (who started out on Double J, surprise surprise) and his various characters. Some of his old stuff is on youtube.

[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

Oh yeah!

The J's were pretty much guaranteed to be "not your daddy's radio station" and they did quite a bit to promote Australian bands/music rather than just playing the Top 40 chart (over and over and over again like every damned commercial station!)

Spent time trying to find a song on YouTube that represents where our daughter is in life. She's currently working 3 jobs and finishing her masters in school counseling.  She chose the old Tennessee Ernie Ford song "16 Tons" sung by ZZ Top and Jeff Beck: Here

Quote:
14 minutes ago, estherhb said:

Spent time trying to find a song on YouTube that represents where our daughter is in life. She's currently working 3 jobs and finishing her masters in school counseling.  She chose the old Tennessee Ernie Ford song "16 Tons" sung by ZZ Top and Jeff Beck: Here

I was fortunate to have parents that liked a wide variety of music and so I gained an appreciation of music that was outside the expected tastes of my generation. 16 Tons is from about a decade or more before I was born but it's one of my favourite "oldies" though I must admit the ZZ Top rendition is pretty good.

I think I can understand why your daughter chose it, "...another day older and deeper in debt", after working for a company that didn't place any value on its workers, it sounds like my life for the last few years!

Quote:
15 hours ago, KevinTheCynic said:

after working for a company that didn't place any value on its workers

I have stories about this that take the absolute cake. We should write a book.

Watching Ted Talks, interspursed with listening to Christmas carols and this:

<div>
<iframe allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" height="270" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZS8cqnnQ9jQ?feature=oembed" width="480"></iframe>

</div>

Some SciShow and D-News as well.

Right now I'm listening to cicadas. Thankfully we don't have the super-noisy all-day-long ones this year.

Quote:
22 minutes ago, elemental said:

Right now I'm listening to cicadas. Thankfully we don't have the super-noisy all-day-long ones this year.

I remember staying in the hills north-east of Newcastle and hearing them all day. I don't have them where I am now though.

I always enjoy listening to this song...

<div>
<iframe allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" height="344" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RMem3wqp12g?feature=oembed" width="459"></iframe>

</div>

I have a broad taste in music and am quite happy listening to songs from 1950s to today, classical music, more modern instrumental pieces and foreign language songs. My library for my computer has something silly like four thousand or more tracks in it so I can get a fairly eclectic mix when I set it to random play.

In the last couple of hours while scouring the net and catching up on emails I have listened to the following along with a bunch of other songs that I don't recall at the moment: -

Machinations - No Say In It (The Tapeaters Remix)

The Doors - People Are Strange

Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart (Permanent Mix)

SHOW-YA - Watashi wa Arashi

Killing Joke - Love Like Blood (one of my top fav songs of all time, love that bass guitar)