Road Bound Forever?

Good day everyone,

This is something that I have been thinking about and I want to get the general census of you all and what you think (and devs like <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="4" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/">@ShockPuppet</a> or <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/">@Kralyerg</a> in terms of function reasons).

What do you think about the strip of road tiles attached to the front of buildings? Are they necessary? Are they a pain? Do you not care either way?

The reason I ask is because I have been making some smaller buildings that don't really need them, and also have some ideas for F-variants of churches and schools where the use of a road tile along the one edge makes it awkward, for example one F-variant the entrance to the school is on the side, for another it might be on the end. I like having road tiles in the buildings in areas where you can see dirt, or where a road would pass through the building, but on a building that fills its lot, i.e. edge to edge 3x5 or something, is it really necessary to place that road strip there and restrict placement of other buildings? Or is it necessary to do so? As long as there is pathing going through the buildings from door to door, I wonder if it is really necessary. 

Thoughts?

I don't think it's necessarily necessary, personally. I think of it more like a way to ensure players keep the front of the building open for access.

In my little Mini Buildings mod, none of them have road squares. And the dock buildings don't have road square, obviously, just a little spot for connecting.

But I think it would be fine if you had some buildings with no roads, as long as it is obvious which side is the front where any workers may need to travel to.

Now that 1.7 doesn't have road-buildable trees I find those road tiles a pest. You can only build ghost trees on them and some of the ghost trees don't sit in the centre of the tile, they sit on the edge, meaning you get a tree that either sits half on the road or grows out of the wall of the building. Not good.

One road tile is probably enough, if you feel the need to show the player where the door is. But is that even necessary?