Individual tool bar icons for mods

It boggles my mind that the location of the toolbar file would have any effect on it's appearance in the game.  That seems like a poor way to write the game.

Just to learn about the aesthetics and moving forward .... 

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3183-ketchup/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3183" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3183-ketchup/">@Ketchup</a> does this mean that you can release a single mod, and have it reference that toolbar, and it show in that toolbar, without having to release an entire update.
<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a>this breakthrough then means that how you were envisaging Maritimes can happen, and importantly (for some wary of download bloat & game bloat (not me, I'm fine :D)) it means that as you finish one part of the concept you can release it, to your own toolbar, and them move on to the next without everyone having to download Maritimes again?

If this is correct, then that is an even bigger breakthrough than I thought.  It means that modders can be releasing content in such a way that players aren't required to download 80+ mb files, repeatedly, beta tests can happen more frequently.

This stuff is big. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/">@Kralyerg</a> I have no idea if the location of this NecoraToolBar.rsc or RKToolBar.rsc makes any difference.

Here was my thinking about it. I figured, if we want to put a mod into the food tool bar, in the MyMods/Trapper/Trapper.rsc file we list our tool bar, which refers to the parent tool bar which is 'food' in the Resoure/Game/Toolbar.rsc. So I figured, why can't we do that with mods? Refer all individual mods to one master tool bar file? So I simply copied the Resource/Game/Toolbar.rsc, removed everything and added my own tool bar slots in the same manner, then placed this into a Trapper/Game folder. This NecoraToolbar.rsc refers back to the Toolbar.rsc in Game/Resource to read for the 'food' or 'housing' toolbars etc. I guess you could just edit the original Toolbar.rsc, keep it the same name, and move it to your own Game folder in the mod so it gets incorporated. I custom named it as I figure then everyone can do the same and there will be no conflicts between mods.

I think if you try to make the communal tool bar in the MyMods/Trapper/Trapper.rsc file, then each mod will try to make it new and it will result in crash errors or nothing in the tool bar. But if you make them all refer to the exact same CustomToolbar.rsc then they will all build the exact same thing? I'm not sure but I think this is why. I don't think it has to be in the game folder, I think it just has to refer to a CustomToolbar.rsc which is identical in all mods using this, in the same way that we refer to the Toolbar.rsc in the Game folder of the Resource folder. I used Game because that is where it is in the original resource with mod kit, same as why I used dialog.

I think the important thing is keeping these toolbar and spritesheet/stringtable files the exact same in different mods, so it needs updating for all with new instances or it needs some fore planning form the modder.

Quote:
45 minutes ago, QueryEverything said:

this breakthrough then means that how you were envisaging Maritimes can happen, and importantly (for some wary of download bloat & game bloat (not me, I'm fine :D)) it means that as you finish one part of the concept you can release it, to your own toolbar, and them move on to the next without everyone having to download Maritimes again?

I didin't actually think about it but yes, I guess the maritimes no longer needs to be one large mod, as the toolbar icon was the only thing really limiting that. Now everything can be truely modular, and released as added updates. Also means that if I want to change something with the PEI set, I can just package that up individually.

Oh wow, <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> this is big [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />  

It may mean a lot for future development ...  Means a lot too for the players that can't game OR download the larger files as they get to really pick and choose, if the dev mods that way.

Very exciting!  I love seeing breakthrough unfold [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />  (If you can't guess, I love software dev, just can't do it, lol)

Well I tried to make a 'CommonToolbar' on the main toolbar for if people want all modders to have their own icon within this, but I can't test it because I don't have enough individual mods! So I sent to to Ketchup, he will give it a go and see if it works.

Update, <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3183-ketchup/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3183" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3183-ketchup/">@Ketchup</a> and I have been testing this out and we managed to make a common tool bar icon on the main toolbar, within which any modder can add their own toolbar space to put their mods.

In the example below I coded up two separate mods, packaged them, and put them in windata. The first on the left is a 'farming mod' called Red's mods, with a cow icon (first one I came to). It only consists of a trapper inside a food tool bar inside the Red's Mods menu inside the Common Modders menu. The second is the PEI Shore set extracted from the maritimes mod, placed into the PEI Shore toolbar inside the Necora's Docks tool bar inside the Necora's Mods tool bar inside the Common Modders menu.

Both mods sit nicely inside the common menu. The only thing which is the same inside the two mods is a 'CommonToolbar.rsc' in the Game folder and associated sprite sheet and string table inside the Dialog folder. Then in the Red's Mods there is a RedToolbar.rsc inside the Game folder that organizes the different Red's Mods, and links to the CommonToolbar.rsc as the parent tool bar. The same is in the Necora's Mods, only NecoraToolBar.rsc.

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_02/Test01.jpg.7bd4284f3ec27eb6c03482ab3e4f051f.jpg[/img]

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_02/Test02.jpg.52fd6069e8aa1bd2f771cdd2045ff5a3.jpg[/img]

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_02/Test03.jpg.b8e65cc4b2d1715c513eb9beaa8ed132.jpg[/img]

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_02/Test04.jpg.8267f95d4924bd33c40aa8590a776fd3.jpg[/img]

CommonToolbar Icon Kit.

Place this kit inside all your mods. (along with your PersonalToolbar Icon kit)

This is the common icon toolbar "at the base of the main toolbar" for all the moddlers.

All the moddlers will have all their personal Icon and will set all their mods on their personal toolbar.

ENJOY !!

PersonalToolbar Icon Kit

Do your personal Icon kit and place it inside all your mods. (along with the CommonToolbar Icon kit)

This is your personal icon toolbar "at the base of the Common Toolbar" for all your mods.

All the moddlers will have all their own personal Icon and will set all their mods on their personal toolbar.

ENJOY !!

i provide 2 examples: Personal NecoraToolbar Icon Kit.zip and Personal RedketchupToolbar Icon Kit.zip

to help you to get an idea of how to set up your own personal toolbar icon kit. (dont put other people personal kit in your mods, this is their icon. You , you will do your own one.)

when you will do a mod, you will ask to go sit on your own personal Icon (instead to go sit anywhere else in the vanilla toolbars)

like for example, my mods will be : 

Toolbar _parent = "Game\RKToolbar.rsc:RKtoolbar";    

or

Toolbar _parent = "Game\RKToolbar.rsc:RKhousing";    

and Necora will put:

Toolbar _parent = "Game\NecoraToolbar.rsc:NecoraToolbar";    

or

Toolbar _parent = "Game\NecoraToolbar.rsc:Necorahousing";    

if you need sub toolbars... you set it up inside your personal toolbar [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" /> (like those "housing" )

<a class="ipsAttachLink" href="//blackliquidsoftware.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=1321">CommonToolbar.zip</a>

<a class="ipsAttachLink" href="//blackliquidsoftware.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=1322">Personal NecoraToolbar Icon Kit.zip</a>

<a class="ipsAttachLink" href="//blackliquidsoftware.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=1323">Personal RedketchupToolbar Icon Kit.zip</a>

Awesome find/work <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> and awesome work <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3183-ketchup/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3183" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3183-ketchup/">@Ketchup</a> for the extra testing. This should make the toolbar a lot easier for everyone to use, modders and players! [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="314" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/">@KevinTheCynic</a> I hope so. It will empty the vanilla tool bars, one reason for not doing modular maritimes was that I didn't want to spam them up with a load of fishing stuff, and make things easier to find. It also gives modders the flexibility to organise their own tool bars as they see fit, so they can be done by theme set, or following the vanilla template etc. 

If only my internet was good enough for me to upload today, I'd have the PEI shore set up with this new tool bar. Unfortunately it is too slow and it looks like I might be stuck at home for a few days with the 60 cm of snow we're getting tomorrow.