Connecting the islands

I've been playing a lot of the water world maps lately cause i like to pretend its the ocean and build seaport towns. I stumbled on a great map which has some islands in the middle which i would love to use, and right now the only way to do that is to build long bridges and connect them, and that looks very unrealistic and doesnt fit well with a seaport look. I know the game doesnt allow for some kind of boat or ferry transport of bannies, so i was thinking of some kind of a workaround for that and came up with few ideas and need someone of the modders to judge how feasible they are.

* underwater tunnel - same as a tunnel but under water with entry and exit points that look like ferry stations. This one is easiest but probably imposible 

* transparent bridge - this is probably doable and would look good exept for the fact that there would be bannies walking on water (i would even prefer this over those long bridges)

* waterlike texture bridge - bridge with a roof and a texture that most resembles the water under it. This seams like most doable but it would probably look weird

Any other ideas guys?

DID YOU TRY THE DOCK PIECES or the plank or stone creek bridges? screenshot with the map # would help to see how far it is. the best solution you have now is debug it and build a quick bridge,send the banis over there ,then delete the bridge. tnow they will be stuck on the island.

The problem is not the lack of bridges or getting bannies to an island. I am looking if some modder can make some kind of workaround for visible bridges so that we can use islands without using long bridges that sometimes look unrealistic at big distances and can ruin the look of a seaport. 

1) I don't think an underwater tunnel would actually work.  From what I can tell (and I could be wrong) your citizens will walk on the highest "floor" they find on a square. The ground has a built it "floor". The water has one too, but it's on the ground that's under the water. You can make them walk higher than the ground by putting a "floor" in a building, but not lower.

So I supposed you could make them literally walk underwater, along the ground that you can see, but not all the way underground so they're invisible.

2) Doable, but like you said, they would be walking across the top of the water.

3) I'm not sure I understand. A bridge with a water texture, so that it's hiding the people but still looks kind of like water? I suppose it's possible, but it would still look like a building that has water walls. It wouldn't really be hiding anything.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8751-canemane/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="8751" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8751-canemane/">@Canemane</a>, hiya [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Would love to see the map.  Could you please post a screenshot, the map details etc?

what settings you used, large, extra large, etc so we can replicate it?  Each seed changes in visual depending on map sizes, map type, <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> options etc, so any settings info is great [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Whilst this is not a direct solution to your enquiry, have you looked at <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6338-discrepancy/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6338" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6338-discrepancy/">@Discrepancy</a> bridge & dock mod or <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a>'s Maritime mods?  Both are excellent and there are many ideas of making an interesting and diverse bridge & dock system.  Also using the terraform tool you can create your own land bridges and decorate in style, a full length trading (merchants, not traders) bridge, stocking all the awesome goodies of the region etc?  (Think Bowerstone Bridge in Fable II)

Maybe someone like <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/14-paeng/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="14" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/14-paeng/">@Paeng</a> may have some ideas on bridge/dock design that can help in the interim?    (there are other fabulous city designers on the forum that may also have some creative ideas, it's just that I've seen Paeng's once more recently. Check out the latest post here. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

Good luck, maybe a couple of the modders may think of something to do [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

going back in time... on the old forum, probably well over a year ago I remember making a suggestion for some kind of ferry...

and back then I couldn't even get the modkit started let alone make a 3d model and get it into the game.

but now, I should give it a go myself. I think it can be done.

Yeah, a ferry would be supercool... if it works, the better - if not, then as a make-believe item  [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />

On the old forum I collected some pics of flat barges pulled across with ropes, even transporting horses and such... I need to check if they still exist somewhere.

Yes it would be 'make-believe' in a way, the ferry won't move, and the people will walk under the water, but hopefully camouflaged a bit. It will still work exactly as a bridge.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6338-discrepancy/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6338" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6338-discrepancy/">@Discrepancy</a> that is a cool idea. Can't wait to see it. Better than my idea... a giant sling shot on one side of the lake.

Thers plenty of bridges and sets for connecting an island or traversing a big lake but in my opinion it often looks very unrealistic that people would build such long bridges in real life, especialy in colonial or medieval times. They used boats and ferrys, and me being a stickler for realisam, was looking for something like that. Considering the game wont allow us to carry bannies over water its up to us to find a workaround. So, modders of all countries unite, and bring us ferries [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />