Help! Banished Won't Launch After Reinstalling

After numerous crashes this week-end, I decided to uninstall Banished and reinstall it.....through Steam....just the bare basic bones and then slowly add the mods to it. All well and good except I can't do a thing as when I press the play button its an immediate fatal access violation error. Tearing my hair out trying to figure out why. Changed it in registry to just launch dx9, no mods are enabled as they are all deleted, (even though it still downloads CCJourney and Forge Awakens automatically) deleted he dx11 video exe from the folder, now I'm stuck with no game and despite hours of trying and searching, can't find a solution. I've reinstalled it about 7-8 times now without luck and Steam can't help as they say its not one of their games, and the shining rock forum seems deserted.

Can anyone assist as I know you're all a lot cleverer than I?

If you are still downloading CCJourney and Forge Awakens then you haven't really deleted them. You definitely don't want to use both.  First uncheck these mods from the opening game menu. Exit and check the Workshop to see if you subscribed to either of these and unsubscribe. Go to your Banished > WinData folder and delete these mods from there (do not delete the four .pkg files - Data0, Data1, Patch0 and Patch1 .  While you're at it, delete all of your old Saves from your Documents > Banished > Save folder.  

Once you are sure vanilla Banished works by playing it for an hour or so, then re download CCJourney 1.72. Add that mod to the game and make sure that works OK before adding MegaMod v0.07, <abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr> Deco 0.07 and Compatibility v2. Make sure you are using the correct version of Banished  - 1.0.6.  The version # is listed at the bottom of the opening screen.  

To help prevent crashes: Every time you add or delete mods, you should go into Banished and check the mods you want to use. You'll be asked "Do you want to apply changes & reload now?"  Say Yes, then completely exit Banished.  Then go back in, verify the mods you want are checked, and start a NEW game.  

To select DirectX9 vs DirectX11, go to the 1st Banished Screen and select Options > Video and change the Renderer.  I've found DX11 works best for me (reducing load time from 3.5 minutes to less than 30 seconds), but that's not the case for everyone.

Quote:
On 3/13/2017 at 11:52 PM, portiadavenport said:

After numerous crashes ... then slowly add the mods to it. ... an immediate fatal access violation error. Tearing my hair out trying to figure out why. ... now I'm stuck with no game 

Can anyone assist as I know you're all a lot cleverer than I?

Ok STEP one: As annoying as it is, open the exe, if you dont have a steam link on the desktop make it. Click the Libray > Right Click the Banished tab and find the desktop link, add it. Then launch via this. If no launch, delete the game, hunt in the steam directory for files and delete them too. delete the mods aswell. EVERY-thing must go.

Step Two, re-install. Take your time, make some tea and install the plain old vanilla. Then right click the Banished Tab and select Beta 1.0.7, let this download and install. Then drink your tea, calm down. You will have lost all the saved games, and you dont want to try and save them.

Step three, go to Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\2##### and find out if any mods are now downloaded. For now dont enable before you play. We want vanilla to work.

Step 4, launch via your desktop. If this does not work, delete the link on the desktop and forget about ever using it again.

Step 5, try launching via Steam Library tab (of course if the desktop link worked this is good too)

If it launches check for the mods, does the game recognize them? If not go in to Steam/ "the commuinty for Banished" and then the workshop, find the mods, use Notpad to copy and paste the names and unsub from them.

Step 6, launch a vanilla game if possible. 

Explaination. Some mods dont work for Banished 1.0.7, and you need to get rid of them, but documenting the ones that work and dont are a pain. Also i find that when banished stops launching it generally a mod i tried to use that broke it. 

Quote:
21 hours ago, J_Man said:

Ok STEP one: As annoying as it is, open the exe, if you dont have a steam link on the desktop make it. Click the Libray > Right Click the Banished tab and find the desktop link, add it. Then launch via this. If no launch, delete the game, hunt in the steam directory for files and delete them too. delete the mods aswell. EVERY-thing must go.

Step Two, re-install. Take your time, make some tea and install the plain old vanilla. Then right click the Banished Tab and select Beta 1.0.7, let this download and install. Then drink your tea, calm down. You will have lost all the saved games, and you dont want to try and save them.

Step three, go to Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\2##### and find out if any mods are now downloaded. For now dont enable before you play. We want vanilla to work.

Step 4, launch via your desktop. If this does not work, delete the link on the desktop and forget about ever using it again.

Step 5, try launching via Steam Library tab (of course if the desktop link worked this is good too)

If it launches check for the mods, does the game recognize them? If not go in to Steam/ "the commuinty for Banished" and then the workshop, find the mods, use Notpad to copy and paste the names and unsub from them.

Step 6, launch a vanilla game if possible. 

Explaination. Some mods dont work for Banished 1.0.7, and you need to get rid of them, but documenting the ones that work and dont are a pain. Also i find that when banished stops launching it generally a mod i tried to use that broke it. 

Thanks for that. I had to go through every single folder and find anything banished related....now working! Updated to Beta using megamod & deco pack & 2 others and that's it...so far no probs except for those known ones known to the kind modders

Quote:

Thanks for that. I had to go through every single folder and find anything banished related....now working! Updated to Beta using megamod & deco pack & 2 others and that's it...so far no probs except for those known ones known to the kind modders

Thanks! Glad it worked!