Despo begins to modding :-)

Since I registered on the site, a few days ago, it has grown in me the desire to create mods.

Obviously the first mod is a house [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/laugh.png[/img]/emoticons/laugh@2x.png 2x" title="xD" width="20" />

And obviously again I'm following the Discrepancy's tutorial on WoB (thank you very much <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6338-discrepancy/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6338" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6338-discrepancy/">@Discrepancy</a> [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" /> )

I'm still trying to understand how to position in the right way the model over the placeBitArray and the placeBits, and I want to perfect the textures, but this is the result for now. I'm quite satisfied [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/happy.png[/img]/emoticons/happy@2x.png 2x" title="^_^" width="20" />

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" data-fileid="1724" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_03/D20House_wip1.jpg.cb133d8ab0cedddd263d2a19e7870902.jpg">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_03/D20House_wip1.thumb.jpg.e4503ce4f6679cb41800c5a36f7defcf.jpg[/img]</a>

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" data-fileid="1725" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_03/D20House_wip2.jpg.ba05825a1c3b054943cd2e25e05e08d1.jpg">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_03/D20House_wip2.thumb.jpg.4e1e1690b1d7dbfaebf5b87c741ced8b.jpg[/img]</a>

I have a question about AO:

I used "Smart UV Project", like suggested by <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a>, I made the bake render and I've inverted the Image Colors, like suggested by <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6338-discrepancy/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6338" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6338-discrepancy/">@Discrepancy</a>.

Everything works fine, but in game there are a few white stripes between the faces, especially between wooden beams and the plaster facades.

Did I do something wrong?

I rely on you experienced modders  [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

If you did the AO the way I described in a few places then you don't need to invert it, it is correct the way blender bakes it [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Awesome house!... and say good bye to your life, this stuff is addictive...

looks great !!

if you see some white lines.... verify your UVW and make sure it doesnt go further than should be.

Thank you guys!

A quick test with the default AO. It seems better. Maybe a little too dark... I need to run more tests!

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_03/D20House_wip3.png.ee13b25b66ae47827f369b3e6b7b347f.png" data-fileid="1727">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_03/D20House_wip3.thumb.png.471d274e12d5917451c4e91bfd2509f5.png[/img]</a>

Quote:
1 hour ago, Necora said:

... and say good bye to your life, this stuff is addictive...

Yes, I know [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/12323-despo20/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="12323" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/12323-despo20/">@despo20</a> It looks awesome. A couple of points, before you lighten the AO, consider that the environment lighting in game is rather, well, I don't know a nice way to put it, let's say unforgiving 

<div class="ipsSpoiler_header">
Spoiler

(crap)

</div>

My white areas of the AO are as white as can be, and I use a strong shading to it, yet the white AO areas still come out somewhat dark. I find that if the model looks great in blender, I will need to boost the saturation and contrast of all textures for it to look just as vibrant in game. In blender everything looks over saturated, but in game it comes out nice. I think it is because in the 'sun' the game casts some strange pale blue shadow on everything, and brightens it (but adds more contrast) in 'rain'. I would have thought it would be the opposite way around, or at least less blue wash in sun.

Try tinkering with the contrast/brightness/saturation of the textures before you change the AO.

The good AO from blender should not darken faces with no shadows cast on them, so roofs, walls etc. The AO simply adds some nice contrast around the beams, especially if you have the attenuation down to around 20 cm, which is what I use as default.

Ok... I learned a little bit more.

Thanks <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a>!

I'll try to improve the AO generated from blender. Where you set this attenuation parameter? Can I ask you a screenshot? [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/rolleyes.gif[/img]/emoticons/rolleyes@2x.png 2x" title="9_9" width="20" />

Wow, this looks great! I love buildings with little nooks and crannies like that, it makes things look so much alive.

Quote:
6 hours ago, despo20 said:

Obviously the first mod is a house

Ummm... but you have done some modeling before this, or?  [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/blink.png[/img]/emoticons/blink@2x.png 2x" title="O.o" width="20" />  No matter, you're doomed, lost to the dark side  [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/laugh.png[/img]/emoticons/laugh@2x.png 2x" title="xD" width="20" />

Looks good, like Bartender I'm a big fan of odd angles, nooks and crannies...  [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />

I love the look of it!!!

Yes <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/14-paeng/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="14" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/14-paeng/">@Paeng</a>, I've done a lot of 3D models in my life [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

I'm an architect and I use 3D modeling programs nearly every day. But this is the first time with Blender and usually I make something much more "modern" [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/laugh.png[/img]/emoticons/laugh@2x.png 2x" title="xD" width="20" />

I'm very glad that you like it. Thanks guys!

The concept isn't mine. I found an image on Pinterest and I tried to reproduce it in Blender. This is the picture:

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_03/4c6b7ce3002f765ec7a1cd735f844e62.jpg.99dd5a0ca975ea7335412f9e0f88e0d3.jpg" data-fileid="1729">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_03/4c6b7ce3002f765ec7a1cd735f844e62.thumb.jpg.127a4c87c3871aeb9f32d4608d31a1f1.jpg[/img]</a>