Hunter not giving me deer/leather?

Only reason I built a hunter was so I could make some leather coats...

All I am getting is duck meat and feathers?

that happens. there is a no duck mod to fix the overpowering of ducks. also try building the hunters farther away from rivers or lakes.

do they still get leather from time to time? I have no other way to make coats at the moment

Yes, you'll still get leather. You could also build a Dock Reed Farm and a Dock Workshop (workshop can go on land if you prefer) and make Survival Coats with the Feathers + Reeds.  It's a nice 1st building since it can make survival coats and trade off to make rough tools as well.

certain coats I take it are better than others and last longer or exactly how do the coats work?

i think the game sets survival coats and hide coats the same. and then you have warm coats<hide+wool> and warmer coats<wool>. there is also,pelt coats < from NECORA'S pine mod> and fur coats.plus the fort has its own clothes as well.as ESTHERHB pointed out, the feather and reed survival coats is good as a quick way to make coats early in game. they are a good way to get rid of surplus feathers and use the survival coats for trading. this will help your hunters to find deer instead of ducks unless you use a duck blind hunter:

<iframe data-embedcontent="" frameborder="0" src="<___base_url___>/index.php?/files/file/33-no-wild-ducks/&do=embed"></iframe>

The deer you see on your map actually matter too. If you want to have more deer meat/leather than duck meat & feathers, try to place your hunting lodge so that you have at least 1 herd of deer inside its circle. Or use the mod.