Proposed new form of gameplay for CC

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum but have been playing <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> mod for quite a while. One thing I've noticed is that by the time I've built a reasonably sustainable community, the trade outposts make obtaining everything too easy (for me). But playing the game without any trade outposts mean that many items (interesting seeds, animals) are unobtainable.

So, I've been toying with a couple of rules or constraints on the gameplay that I think make an interesting addition. I'd welcome feedback on whether other people think these are interesting, or want to discuss any ideas about improving them. I am a software programmer, but I haven't looked at how Banished mods work at all, so I don't know if these ideas could be actually implemented in a mod supplement (so I'd welcome input there, and I'd be open to doing some development work if there's a path for that):

• You can build only one trading post, and it has to be a farm type (seeds/animals)

• The only things you can use to buy things at the trading post are: Gold pfenig, silver pfenig, polished gemstones

• You can build one Placer mine for every 20 adults in your community (you can staff it fully with two workers)

• You can't build any other sources for gold or silver ore or pfenig
    <ul><li>
    You can't staff a Mayor's office (so you can't get silver pfenig that way)

</li>
[*]
Recommended: Use "1 year is 1 year" mod

[*]
Optional: Schools have to be maintained from year 10 forward that have space and staff for every student

</ul>
That's basically it. These changes provide some real constraints on growth and force you to make more choices about how to grow your town. I have gotten bored with building a bunch of tailors, cranking out clothes, selling them to the outposts and basically buying one of everything. By the time I get to that stage of the game, I kind of lose interest.

So far, with these rules, the game offers a different style of play and seems interesting.

Let me know what you think!

hmm which thought do you want us to answere to?? as to rules. many players over time do try that idea. some try different ideas or "sets of rules" with differernt games. if you are asking if we want a mod to do that,i would say no. most players have developed their own playstyle over time and i belive choose to play by their own rules instead of conforming to a specified set of rules.that is one of the many nice things to banished. there is no rules or forced way of playing. you make your own as you go.and as you play more,your own game play changes as well.

as to you being a programmer. there aree many  thought to that. there are many modders. each has their own ideas and valued input. new modders are very welcomed. lately 2 new modders, within the last 6months,have changed the game. one has changed the trees and the way our forests look and function. he also finally cracked the coding so modders have their own place on the toolbar. the other has worked on ground plant textures. in so doing meadows have been created around the map. combined and by tossing ideas around, they reinvented water and how it flows or splashes near dock posts. as the information they have figured out is processed by them and other modders,we should be able to dig and create our own lakes and maps. there are many things hidden in the game program code that has not been figured out. the game has limits to what can and can't be done. the water has proven some things can be done that haven't been figured out yet.

how crazy do you want to get?? how much time do you want to invest??? the animal animation codes have not been figured out. we could have turkeys,goats,etc.can the vendor cart be changed to be a horse? how do we make houses or bannies use items such as silverware or candles? a practical solution to use the many items we make but can only be traded away?can we get inside the game far enough that happiness becomes more important to the game??? those are just a few ideas.

sounds like a game play challenge, try posting there? seems like conditions participants could adhere to (honor system) and report/post back on....

Yeah, cool... it's the type of "house rules" I think many of us impose on ourselves once in a while... [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />

Though it's not something I would want to play all the time.

Hi <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/15696-steve/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="15696" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/15696-steve/">@steve</a> from a programming side, I don't think some of those are impossible, in fact you can limit the number of buildings in the code etc, but, the question is - do you want it built in to a large existing Mod development, or, would you be happy for it to be an indi mod - that is optional for the few that would play it?

I wouldn't play in the style that you are suggesting, I have enough on my plate in the real world micromanaging stuff, I don't like to do it in my games I play - so, having this type of mod in <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>, just isn't something I want to see.  HOWEVER, (not yelling, haha), I wouldn't stop a modder from producing such a mod that does this for you - if you found one that would do it.

I come from a software programming relationship, but, I can barely even create an avatar, let alone game items, I leave that up to hubby, but, there are many here who have successfully gone from 'gamer' to modder, and been quite successful at it.  There is a load of support available both here, and over at World of Banished, and if you want to get your feet wet, there are help topics and how to's scattered around, definitely take a look and see how you go.  Start small, have an idea of the project you want to work on, and start the process. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

The other thing as mentioned above - if you can't find a modder to help, or you can't make the transition over to modder, then definitely hang out in some of the competition / achievement threads and see if there are some there that want to do this with you. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Great ideas, sorry it's just not my thing at the moment. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />