Firewood Consumption/Production

This must have changed in either the beta or 1.75 because coming from base game then the previous colonial charter I have never had a problem with firewood, ever, in 350 hours play time. I could make enough to trade on top of my needs. It is now unplayable, I had my entire town trying to produce enough fuel for homes, which takes all your wood at an alarming rate, and this obviously has a spiralling knock on effect to everything. Game over. Not fun.

Why ? What was altered? What was the thinking behind it?

The only other explanation I can think of is the homes made with lumber described as having the same warmth as stone don't actually provide that.

I don't know of any changes to Firewood but I wouldn't have noticed since I always build a Stacks Burner asap (using a Saw Pit to get the lumber) and make Charcoal instead of Firewood. It is WAY more efficient; from each Log, the Stacks Burner makes 11 Charcoal, while the Woodcutter only makes 4 Firewood from each Log.  

There's a lot of good items for trade, I start by building a Wild Shepherd to gather the Domesticated Animals hiding around the map (they're invisible); then I build a Stable to make my own Domesticated Animals (you'll need grain). Alternately, I build a couple of Reed Farms (they can be tucked close to shore in a large river if necessary).  They produce over 1000 reeds a season, which is pretty good for trade. I also build a Dock Workshop (can go on land) and make Survival Coats from Feathers and Reeds. Another one I like is to build a couple of Abbeys and put two Monks in each to make Ale (be sure to build a Tavern for storage). 

Good advice, thanks, I already do a couple of those things but will go charcoal for sure. I was venting because it was super frustrating after a day building the town. I loaded an older save and made a homeless shelter and destroyed a lot of houses and have managed to get it back on track. Maybe it was just a really bad run and it took me by surprise.

there are several things that can change the log count. do you use the NAT DIV mod? that gives us meadows but less trees.  NECORA's pine trees do give more logs per tree. there is a more wood mod that gives about 50% more.how many foresters do you have? there is also a more firewood per log mod ,though i have not tested it. i spent time this weekend trying to use some older mods to see if they could work with the NAT DIV and pine forest mods. they did not work together. if i moved them in the mod order, i shut down the other 2 mods. afterwards, i emptied my banished registry and re-organinzed my mod order again. i do notice some maps do seem to have less trees than others. i do normally add a forester in the first 5-10 years of a game. most of the houses,even modded, will burn the new thatch too. do you use markets to supply logs to the woodcutter? the farther they have to travel to get logs could be costing you firewood as well.

For some reason the Increased Resources Combined mod was crashing <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> 1.75 for me.  I tried just the one for Stone and just the one for Logs and the game still crashed. So Kralyerg made me a "new" one. Works fine - we have no idea why.  It works on Iron Ore (or Iron), Logs and Stone.  The .pkm file is <a data-fileid="1879" href="<___base_url___>/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=1879">HERE</a>  I think [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" /> 

I thought this was part of the strategy, I remember seeing some youtubers use firewood for trading in vanilla but when I put the mods in I could never keep up, I try and set up the reed farms and bundlers asap so I can do away with firewood altogether and just use logs for lumber and building. Survival coats and furniture are my early trading products until I have enough population to run the jade and marble mines with the statue carvers.

i used stone for trading in early games for a long time. nowdays i need more stone. furniture is good if you have the logs. candles is quick and easy also.with mods now we have perfumes and plenty of ales. i build my clothing up to fur coats and trade the hide coats for different seeds.

IMO Candles really aren't worth making as trade items. That value of 8 each is really misleading. You need 30 Tallow or Beeswax, worth 30, to make 4 Candles (educated worker) worth 32 - a profit of .50 each [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]/emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" title=":(" width="20" /> .  You could use that same worker at an Abbey to make Ale at no cost.

Or make Furniture: 10 logs (worth 10) can be made into two Furniture (worth 44-10 or 34). That's a profit of 17 each!

When I changed from The Forge Awakens to Journey, I didn't pay as much attention to mod order as I should have, and I kind of flipped out when 6 fully staffed forester stations and 5 sawmills couldn't keep a population of less than 800 warm. I mean, I was running out of room to put more foresters!

The problem was that I was using a few resource improvement mods like more wood, but didn't make sure they were above Journey. Once I got my mods reordered, I got back the ability to balance land use, staff and population with firewood.

Since then I have added a few additional mods and my order is as follows:

ridiculous storage by kralyerg

several (7) of necora's maritimes sets

tree houses and forest deep by nomad

wildlife by zen industries

more stone

more iron

more wood

natural diversity by bartender

1.07 compatibility

<abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> 1.75 Journey

mega mod 0.07

mega mod deco 0.07

I think foresters and sawmills were struggling because Journey and MegaMod loaded above 'more wood' upon install, and canceled it out. Once I moved them below, I experienced the balance I had gotten used to...

You're right  the more anything mods need to go above. Glad you figured it out.