Is refined food "better"

Hello everybody,

just a question: is refined food more nutritive for bannies than basic food or is it only worth for trade?

thanks in advance for your answers

There are a few refined foods that count toward more than one food group such as Fruitcake = Grain and Fruit so those are a bit better  - but there aren't many of those.  Refined foods with a trade value of 2 or more still count as one food when eaten by your citizens.  

ok... so there is no real hurry to start producing those, unless you're eager to make deals with merchants, right?

You certainly don't need to hurry into processing food for your Bannies.  Except for demanding Sugar Cookies, my people don't seem to care what they're fed.

There are some processes that result in more food. Items made by the Tinneries are one of those.  For example, it takes 20 Beans + 1 Tin (worth 27) to make 36 Tinned Vegetables (worth 108).  Not only do you make a profit of 81, but you have 16 more veggies than when you started. Whether you sell them or not, you come out ahead.  

Making Hardtack also increases the # of food.  It's a two part process:

• It takes 20 Barley of other grain to make 14 Flour (a loss of 6 food)

• Then it takes 5 Flour to make 20 Hardtack - an increase of 15 food.

• The net increase is 9!

(I used the production #s for educated workers.)

it'd be nice if the tool tips or dropdown menus ingame showed this, a lot of the time i don't know how many resources are being consumed or produced

The Excel spreadsheets HERE contain all that info. It's helpful, but sometimes is really too much info.

then, 1 unit of fresh meat (special quote from the Butcher ^^ ) restores a  mean banny as much as a complex smoked sausage... good to be known...

all food industries from <abbr title="New Medieval Town">NMT</abbr> and all my other mods always adds something : double the amount of food, add a +1 in value, and sometime combine all nutritive elements from the raw materials [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

so at the end, even if the bannies eat everything, you are not a loser ^^

Hello, hope you dont mind reviving old thread. I understand that most time you get more food. That bakery is great example, you get like 50 hardtacks from 20 grain, thats cool. So why should i make bread? I can make like 35 bread from 20 grain + i had to add plenty of milk. Definitely worse than hardtack. If i understand correctly, bread is more healthy, gives grain+protein. But is it worthy? Villager can consume just some hardtack and milk instead.

So main question is: Do you have to produce this combined food? Villager consume exact amout of food per year, so if i dont produce combined food, they wont be able to get full diet? And does ballance matters in diet? For example, if villager gets any amount of all four food types in 100 food, is he healthy enough, or is it better if he gets 25 food of each type? And does villager try to get full diet, or he just grabs closest food, and its up to player to give him full diet to that nearest storage/market?

And little question at end: vannila diet contains 4 types, do i guess right, that this is unchangable and any mod work with these four?

Edit: and one bonus question. Is there any way to prevent my villagers from eating my grain, rye to be specific. Ive found some inedible food mods right at this site, but its quite old, doest it still work? 

Each food counts as one toward the 100 food each citizen eats in a year.  Citizens need to eat "some" of each of the 4 food groups so a food that counts as 2 different foods is "better" but not much better if you already provide a variety of foods. I have no idea what % of each type they require. The inedible mods should still work.