planner or random?

Quote:
On 7/7/2017 at 10:02 AM, Diospectre said:

How is your town going?

it got to around 7-800 population, abundant food, strong steady fuel supply, and a burgeoning docks/trade area. then i had to get some sleep, and when i played next, i started a new town.

i use a building's radius to plan most stuff. i place foresters and gatherers to make sure the radius doesn't go over rivers, mountains, buildings, etc. then i lay out roads to keep development out of forester and gather radii. and i have folks pick up all stone and iron inside the radius also, to allow trees and natural foods to use every bit of space in their circles. 

i stopped using herbalists and apothecaries when herbs became available as a crop seed. if i don't get it as a default crop, i trade for it asap. until then, clearing areas for construction seems to pick up enough herbs to last, and the hospital takes care or any major outbreaks. health is bolstered by access to all food types, and that seems to reduce need for herbs too.

but i do wonder, does garlic bread add to health? it is one of my favorites to assign to bakeries, it would be cool if it also benefited health. 

storage i keep near ports, and only next to food supplies if they are too far away from the ports. then i rely on markets for bringing goods to housing areas. i use libraries instead of churches for happiness, personal preference.

i do wish the statue carver had a happiness radius, and maybe the potter. art would be a nice source of culture and knowledge. and if some sort of apprentice hierarchy was possible in banished that would be fun. i always liked the medieval idea of one-to-one learning, becoming a master at a craft and taking years, if not decades, to do so. tv has ruined the idea of apprenticeship. well, no need to dwell on that here.

i play with disasters off so crops don't blight. biggest problem i have with crops is getting enough people to harvest before winter gets them. if i build a nomad attractor (attracter?) i usually demolish it when my population is big enough to have 20 builders and 20-40 laborers at all times. i try to keep a 3/1 or 4/1 adult to child ratio, 20 kids for every 60-80 adults, at least during growth, later it needs to diminish or folks start popping up homeless.

oh, and i almost forgot to mention, since i do it as a matter of course these days: i set all as educated. home school rules! don't think of it as a debug cheat, think of it as good parenting.   [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />   i usually end up with happy healthy agriculture communities... i do love a bucolic life

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_07/5961628cbbc65_Application-steam-x642017-06-0720-16-09-527.thumb.jpg.b90f7f122cc1d239f9f7f813d661dc86.jpg[/img]

Messages In This Thread
planner or random? - by BuildHappy - 07-05-2017, 01:28 PM
planner or random? - by QueryEverything - 07-06-2017, 01:10 AM
planner or random? - by BuildHappy - 07-06-2017, 02:09 AM
planner or random? - by Diospectre - 07-06-2017, 02:33 AM
planner or random? - by BuildHappy - 07-06-2017, 02:47 AM
planner or random? - by QueryEverything - 07-06-2017, 04:14 PM
planner or random? - by Diospectre - 07-07-2017, 09:02 AM
planner or random? - by BuildHappy - 07-08-2017, 04:02 PM
planner or random? - by Kerlyssa - 07-13-2017, 05:27 AM
planner or random? - by estherhb - 07-13-2017, 08:12 AM